Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2009, 04:31 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,606,331 times

Advertisements

Apparently, Obama’s little CIR brainstorming session scheduled for next week is simply a way to placate pro-illegals. In the meantime, we still have the unacceptable status quo; while we have record unemployment, and mounting anger, frustration, and hostility.

Quote:
Don't hold your breath waiting for the Obama administration to do anything in the near future about immigration reform, or yanking Sheriff Joe Arpaio's 287(g) authority. That's the message some local Latino leaders took away from a series of meetings held recently at Maricopa County Supervisor Mary Rose Wilcox's El Portal restaurant with a White House staffer by the name of Carlos Odio.

"Odio said they're not going to start talking about immigration reform until this fall," said one attendee, who wished to remain anonymous. "Which means nothing is going to happen until after next year, because next year is an election year. No one's going to touch a hot button like immigration in an election year."

This tends to corroborate at least some of what Odio said at the meeting, specifically that the Obama administration will not begin even talking about immigration reform until the fall. And as the attendee above surmised, it's not a stretch to imagine that means no action on immigration until 2011.

"If you don't revoke Arpaio's 287(g),'" Gutierrez recalled telling Odio, "do you really expect the undocumented to participate in the census? You're going to lose a congressional seat, if you don't do this. You guys need to take a stand.'"

Also, they found much of what he had to say disturbing from an immigrant rights perspective. For instance, one said Odio indicated that the Dream Act would have to wait until after comprehensive immigration reform is passed.
Phoenix - Feathered Bastard - White House Staffer Disappoints Phoenix Latino Leaders in Meeting at El Portal (w/Update)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 04:43 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,587,442 times
Odio?the man's name is really "Odio"? Is this a serious article?....Boy, I can't WAIT for the comments on this one....

"Odio", huh?......hmmmm. I think our leg is being pulled. But I'll say no more for now.

Stand by, Benicar..this COULD get ugly.

Old 06-05-2009, 04:49 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,606,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Odio?the man's name is really "Odio"? Is this a serious article?....Boy, I can't WAIT for the comments on this one....

"Odio", huh?......hmmmm. I think our leg is being pulled. But I'll say no more for now.

Stand by, Benicar..this COULD get ugly.
You read my mind. Could it possibly be more appropriate, given all of the "hatrid" on this forum?

Old 06-05-2009, 04:55 PM

21,116 posts, read 42,223,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
You read my mind. Could it possibly be more appropriate, given all of the "hatrid" on this forum?
Well; illegal immigration is a rather, uh, 'odious' topic (ducking flying Trolls here )

Old 06-05-2009, 05:10 PM

50,564 posts, read 47,399,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post

Wasn't that a song by Morris day

Old 06-05-2009, 09:48 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,878,486 times
Good for Obama!

I've heard from pretty good sources that the border is closing, that drugs aren't getting through either and so in some border cities, kidnapping for ransom is way up, the cartels are turning to that for income. They aren't killing the victims or asking for too outrageous of sums because they want the money given over quickly and the hostages are then released unharmed.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:23 PM

807 posts, read 1,305,793 times
What did these people expect? The Obama Administration talked about doing things for the youth but the "Immigration" advocates won't be happy unless Sheriff Arpiao's 287(g) is revoked and until Amnesty is passed for Illegal Aliens..

"How Dare the Obama Administration want to do something for the youth, they should do more for the illegals" is the vibe that seems to reap through that article..

Funny how these Amnesty peddlers like to mention "The Youth" as being the "Future of America" when it comes to passing "The Dream Act", but not when such things as youth groups take precedent..

Too bad, So Sad..

Old 06-05-2009, 10:25 PM

21,116 posts, read 42,223,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Good for Obama!

I've heard from pretty good sources that the border is closing, that drugs aren't getting through either and so in some border cities, kidnapping for ransom is way up, the cartels are turning to that for income. They aren't killing the victims or asking for too outrageous of sums because they want the money given over quickly and the hostages are then released unharmed.
What you just posted may explain in large part why the Trolls here as of late have been especially derogatory-----------those losers are using machismo to cover their fear.

Suffice to say, Malamute, your posts 'jibe'' with reality, shall we say
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration