Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 08:12 PM

2,381 posts, read 5,046,496 times

Advertisements

This video is very interesting and mind opening. There are opinions expressed here that I do not support but it is well worth watching.

YouTube - What does it mean to be illegal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 08:23 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,069,940 times
If people could immigrate without being a burden it wouldn't be an issue. It is really quite simple. Take care of YOURSELF without robbing your NEIGHBOR. Thirty years ago no one cared because the Illegals came in, provided a service and since there weren't that many no one cared. Fast forward to ten years ago, oh how things have changed. Millions of people flooding across. The US is implementing Social Service programs to help it's poor and Illegals are starting to figure it out. Fast forward to now, they are buying houses in the US with loans that don't check status, income or anything. This is how we got here, it's insane. The average American didn't ask for this, we don't need poor from Mexico to do anything. This is a mess brought on by the Countries that are trying to shed their peasants and doing everything they can to ensure they either A: make it here, or b: make it here and send back money. What a win for these Countries, they win while US tax payers take it in the shorts.

Enough

Old 06-07-2009, 09:46 PM

2,381 posts, read 5,046,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
If people could immigrate without being a burden it wouldn't be an issue. It is really quite simple. Take care of YOURSELF without robbing your NEIGHBOR. Thirty years ago no one cared because the Illegals came in, provided a service and since there weren't that many no one cared. Fast forward to ten years ago, oh how things have changed. Millions of people flooding across. The US is implementing Social Service programs to help it's poor and Illegals are starting to figure it out. Fast forward to now, they are buying houses in the US with loans that don't check status, income or anything. This is how we got here, it's insane. The average American didn't ask for this, we don't need poor from Mexico to do anything. This is a mess brought on by the Countries that are trying to shed their peasants and doing everything they can to ensure they either A: make it here, or b: make it here and send back money. What a win for these Countries, they win while US tax payers take it in the shorts.

Enough
I respect your opinion 1ATP and I see where you are coming. My thing is even with all these changes in the last decade, it would be easier to give them legal status to those that are abiding to the law and deport those that are violent criminals. This way, they can pay taxes like you and me. Deportation is way to expensive and with the current recession (I dont think I can afford another 2 more furloughs) I dont see where the money will come from.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:53 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,506,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post

Enough

Whhaat??? Show me some lenders, This is a fact the housing market crashed with the double interest loans, not just because of poor people and illegals. Almost everybody that lost their house recentley didnt bother reading the fine print.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:58 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
They put themselves in that situation. My grandparents on the other hand were genuine refugees who, having survived the Holocaust, were beaten and harassed in postwar Poland. The United States welcomed them with open arms but they never asked for anything. My grandparents spoke accented English for the rest of their lives but happily paid taxes to the country that gave them a second chance at having a normal life and allowed them to live peacefully. They could not stand anybody criticizing the United States or taking advantage of its generous, open nature. They always spoke English in public once they learned it. They did not speak English at all when they arrived here but spent almost all of their spare time learning it from books, the radio, and their neighbors. My mother tells stories about having to translate for her parents when she was very young. However, my grandparents did not ever expect anybody to make accommodations for them. They did not expect anybody to speak to them in their native language and felt ashamed that they did not speak the language when they arrived here. They eventually became American citizens and never missed voting in an election. They never demanded any services in their native language.

Being descended from refugees on one side I am very sympathetic to genuine refugees in the United States and I think this country should continue its tradition of giving shelter to those who flee their native lands in fear for their lives. However I do not see the vast majority of illegal aliens as refugees...at least not political, religious, or ethnic refugees. They are economic refugees and they are almost never in any danger of starving to death or being beaten or killed because of their ethnic backgrounds or religions.

The day the Mexican government starts marching Mestizos into gas chambers, I will stand side by side with those who want to give them safe harbor. However, that is not happening. They are fleeing a lower standard of living. Giving the rest of the world a high standard of living is not our responsibility. Had my grandparents been left in peace in postwar Poland to rebuild their lives, they would have endured the deprivations of living behind the Iron Curtain. But they were not given that option. They felt that if they remained in Poland, they would be killed. Having survived the Nazi occupation on fewer than 700 calories a day before being shipped off to camps then surviving the camps THEN enduring accusations of being in cahoots with the Stalinist takeover of Eastern Europe...it was too much. Leaving Poland was the most difficult decision they ever made in their lives.

Show me a Central American in this country who lived on 700 calories a day for years, then was systematically rounded up and saw half of their family and many of their friends and neighbors marched off to gas chambers or shot where they stood, then was worked nearly to death in inhumane conditions where some of their barrack-mates literally fell over dead after long shifts of slave labor, wondering if or when the suffering would ever end...and when it finally did, they endured further deprivation and harassment by their fellow countrymen who were almost as hostile to them as the Nazis were...and I will support him being here. He is a genuine refugee in need of shelter and protection. But you cannot, because that is not going on down there.

They're just tired of being poor. I sympathize with that but that is no excuse for their illegal behavior and it is not a reason to give them amnesty. We do not owe the world a high standard of living.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
They put themselves in that situation. My grandparents on the other hand were genuine refugees who, having survived the Holocaust, were beaten and harassed in postwar Poland. The United States welcomed them with open arms but they never asked for anything. My grandparents spoke accented English for the rest of their lives but happily paid taxes to the country that gave them a second chance at having a normal life and allowed them to live peacefully. They could not stand anybody criticizing the United States or taking advantage of its generous, open nature. They always spoke English in public once they learned it. They did not speak English at all when they arrived here but spent almost all of their spare time learning it from books, the radio, and their neighbors. My mother tells stories about having to translate for her parents when she was very young. However, my grandparents did not ever expect anybody to make accommodations for them. They did not expect anybody to speak to them in their native language and felt ashamed that they did not speak the language when they arrived here. They eventually became American citizens and never missed voting in an election. They never demanded any services in their native language.

Being descended from refugees on one side I am very sympathetic to genuine refugees in the United States and I think this country should continue its tradition of giving shelter to those who flee their native lands in fear for their lives. However I do not see the vast majority of illegal aliens as refugees...at least not political, religious, or ethnic refugees. They are economic refugees and they are almost never in any danger of starving to death or being beaten or killed because of their ethnic backgrounds or religions.

The day the Mexican government starts marching Mestizos into gas chambers, I will stand side by side with those who want to give them safe harbor. However, that is not happening. They are fleeing a lower standard of living. Giving the rest of the world a high standard of living is not our responsibility. Had my grandparents been left in peace in postwar Poland to rebuild their lives, they would have endured the deprivations of living behind the Iron Curtain. But they were not given that option. They felt that if they remained in Poland, they would be killed. Having survived the Nazi occupation on fewer than 700 calories a day before being shipped off to camps then surviving the camps THEN enduring accusations of being in cahoots with the Stalinist takeover of Eastern Europe...it was too much. Leaving Poland was the most difficult decision they ever made in their lives.

Show me a Central American in this country who lived on 700 calories a day for years, then was systematically rounded up and saw half of their family and many of their friends and neighbors marched off to gas chambers or shot where they stood, then was worked nearly to death in inhumane conditions where some of their barrack-mates literally fell over dead after long shifts of slave labor, wondering if or when the suffering would ever end...and when it finally did, they endured further deprivation and harassment by their fellow countrymen who were almost as hostile to them as the Nazis were...and I will support him being here. He is a genuine refugee in need of shelter and protection. But you cannot, because that is not going on down there.

They're just tired of being poor. I sympathize with that but that is no excuse for their illegal behavior and it is not a reason to give them amnesty. We do not owe the world a high standard of living.

Excellent post!, The only problem is that average americans think they can have everything. I dont include myself in that pack, because I'm just a smudge above average, not to disrespect.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:04 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,479,181 times
What it means to be an American:

YouTube - God Bless the USA - Lee Greenwood

Old 06-07-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
What it means to be an American:

YouTube - God Bless the USA - Lee Greenwood

God bless the USA? are you shure why does america turn to god when a tragedy happens, and kick him out when all things are going well?

thats another thing...

Old 06-07-2009, 10:16 PM

7 posts, read 9,694 times
That video is mind opening, I never knew illegals thought there were entitled to the so called "American Dream" without working for it.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawDan View Post
That video is mind opening, I never knew illegals thought there were entitled to the so called "American Dream" without working for it.
they just give the people who migrate here legally a bad image, darn those cutters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration