Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 02:03 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,606,331 times

Advertisements

This is simply more evidence that the “new” Hispanics have little interest in assimilating, or embracing the “American” culture. There is nothing wrong with immigrants maintaining the language and culture of their homeland as a subset of the predominant U.S. culture. However, when immigrants reject the predominant culture of this country, including learning English, it is a recipe for balkanization. Soon there will be no unity; only separate groups of so-called U.S. citizens, all vying for dominance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 02:03 PM

804 posts, read 1,363,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
They don't have Chinese, Korean, etc etc etc so I don't see the comparison as it wouldn't be an issue like it would be here. There are only 3 (recognized officially) languages there.
Ok, at my university there are people from all over the world, and you can see multiple groups of people talking different languages, in case of an emergency the language that is likely to be used is English.

The fact that people has not lost their mother language does not mean that they cannot speak English as well.

I speak English and Spanish. I take classes in English, write published articles in English, get invited as a speaker in conferences in English, read articles that have been published all over the world in English. Yet when I am with my Spanish speaking friends we speak in Spanish, when I watch Soccer I like to watch it in Spanish (the English commentators don't cut it for me, it just feels weird), and an add in Spanish that makes cultural references to thing that I have seen as I was growing up is more likely to catch my attention than an add in English that references cultural things that I have never seen in my life.

Comedy is a good example, it took a long time ( and even now I still have problems ) to understand comedians. I do not understand why things are funny, or find things funny that no one else in the theatre does. (This makes for really awkward moments )

I am a strong supporter of people learning English, as things stands I consider it a must have for people who want to communicate to anyone outside of your local community. (If you are in the U.S., U.K., or in any other country) I think English is a must have for everyone, it's use is so widespread that I think is silly to think that it would not be useful to learn it.

Now, from that to making the jump to thinking that English should be the only language in the world, or even in the U.S. that is a whole different story. People come from different backgrounds, with different cultures, traditions, and languages and I think people should be able to retain their cultures and their languages. And if businesses desire to cater to specific demographics then be it. If they want Korean customers, then they can run their commercials in Korean, I know for a fact that their Korean add is not going to entice me to buy their products, if they want my business they will have to run an ad in English or Spanish. But I have no problem with they running an ad in Korean since I am not their target demographic.

Also, how does this topic has anything to do with illegal immigration, this thread should be in a different forum.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:10 PM

21,116 posts, read 42,223,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
This is simply more evidence that the “new” Hispanics have little interest in assimilating, or embracing the “American” culture. There is nothing wrong with immigrants maintaining the language and culture of their homeland as a subset of the predominant U.S. culture. However, when immigrants reject the predominant culture of this country, including learning English, it is a recipe for balkanization. Soon there will be no unity; only separate groups of so-called U.S. citizens, all vying for dominance.
I am noticing that as well.............although in all fairness; the legal (Hispanic) immigrants are not really the problem.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:18 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,606,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I am noticing that as well.............although in all fairness; the legal (Hispanic) immigrants are not really the problem.
No, legal immigrants are nothing like the arrogant and defiant illegal aliens. The Hispanics I know, are totally outraged by these ingrate illegals.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:20 PM

706 posts, read 942,558 times
I'm sitting here trying to think of a country that has remained a significant force in the world after becoming balkanized or "tribalized",if You will.....

I need help on this one....

Old 06-11-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderlord View Post
I'm sitting here trying to think of a country that has remained a significant force in the world after becoming balkanized or "tribalized",if You will.....

China, you should see the amount of different cultures/dialects that are present within the Chinese borders. They now own most of the U.S. debt.

Not a country but a union, the European Union.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:37 PM

706 posts, read 942,558 times
China is hardly a balkanized or made of of tribes.Their government makes sure of that...Just ask the fulon gong or the protestors at tiannamen square.

As far as them owning most of the US debt ? No arguement from me..

I also think there will be some changes in the E.U. in the not too distant future... I don't know if all is really well there..

time will tell.

BY the way...how many illegals in China? And what programs does the Chinese government have in place for them ?

Old 06-11-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
China is hardly a balkanized or made of of tribes.Their government makes sure of that...Just ask the fulon gong or the protestors at tiannamen square.

As far as them owning most of the US debt ? No arguement from me..

I also think there will be some changes in the E.U. in the not too distant future... I don't know if all is really well there..

time will tell.

BY the way...how many illegals in China? And what programs does the Chinese government have in place for them ?

Check out the wiki on Chinese demographics:

China - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and, how are the Chinese immigration policies relevant? Maybe we could use the North Korean one as an example where several poster equated to a death sentence. Would you like the U.S. to became more like N.K.?

Old 06-11-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
Check out the wiki on Chinese demographics:

China - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and, how are the Chinese immigration policies relevant? Maybe we could use the North Korean one as an example where several poster equated to a death sentence. Would you like the U.S. to became more like N.K.?
Where illegal aliens are concerned; we (the USA) would do well to be 'closer' to NK, shall we say

Old 06-11-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:

Let's see:

Czechoslovakia broke (peacefully) apart recently.
Yugoslavia (not so peacefully) broke up
Belgium is showing some signs of break up.
Canada: if the English speaking parts of that nation demanded the same rights for their people that Quebec presently enjoys; most likely it would fly apart---------with the USA picking up at least the Maritime provinces.
Switzerland is no longer a major power but it has stuck together since 1815.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration