Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 09:04 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,211,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Seems like they are back legally now,isn't that what you guys want?
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Dont you just love when they contradict each other?

If they are illegal, they need to be deported. If they come back legal, they also need to be deported.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
Exactly, they say why don't they go back to their country and come back legally. That is what these students did. Yet they still say they should be deported.
I personally disagree with the judge's decision to let said Mexican children back into the USA; but, as all of you stated, the rules were followed, so be it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 04:43 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,055,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I personally disagree with the judge's decision to let said Mexican children back into the USA; but, as all of you stated, the rules were followed, so be it.
Thanks for your honesty AZ Bear!

Old 06-22-2009, 06:14 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,600,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Seems like they are back legally now,isn't that what you guys want?
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Dont you just love when they contradict each other?

If they are illegal, they need to be deported. If they come back legal, they also need to be deported.
Quote:
Exactly, they say why don't they go back to their country and come back legally. That is what these students did. Yet they still say they should be deported.
Quote:
"No matter where you stand on the issue of immigration, I think we all have to agree that kids should be with their parents, and it should be a judge that should determine what happens to their case," said immigration activist Christian Ramirez of the American Friends Service Committee.

At the trolley stop last month, border agents questioned and detained 21 passengers, including the three teenagers, who, officials said, admitted they were in the country illegally. That was a question they never needed to answer, according to former U.S. Attorney Pete Nunez.
They should not have been permitted to return. They are illegal aliens who were rightfully deported back to Mexico; and nothing but political pressure resulted in them being granted visas to return. How is that fair? It's BS that they "voluntarily" returned to Mexico. What did they do to earn the right to return to this country to join their illegal alien families? They certainly didn’t wait their turn, and file the proper documents. The fact that they are high school students should not give them a free pass to continue to live in this country. As far as I’m concerned, they are as illegal as they were when they were passengers on the trolley.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:16 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,274,449 times
Quote:
Being that YOU are NOT a citizen of this country YOU have NO vote on this subject !!!!!!!

Old 06-22-2009, 02:23 PM

804 posts, read 1,362,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Being that YOU are NOT a citizen of this country YOU have NO vote on this subject !!!!!!!
No voice either?

Old 06-22-2009, 03:42 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,977,638 times
As a former Green card holder I did not have any major opinions when it came to politics. I did keep my thoughts inside and never voiced my opinion openly.

A Green card holder is here as a Legal resident having fulfilled all paper requirements and fees associated. They are a guest in the country until Citizenship.

Non payment or replying for a renewal means the person has to return to country of origin. So..it's goodby time.

I looked at my card as a temporary residence ID with NO voice until I became a Citizen.

A green card holder does not have the voice of a Citizen because when that card expires...they could be history in the US.

I know a Mexican who has had a Green card for many yrs. His wife did become a US citizen some yrs back while he hesitated. Now he remarks about the high fee he paid to renew last year. Both he and his wife paid into SS for decades so they do collect every month.

I'm a property owner in Baja Mexico with a ID card which still does not allow me to voice my opinion on Mexican Politics.

I would compare the two cards as neither one allows the person to voice opinions regarding Govmt policies.

Steve

Old 06-22-2009, 04:11 PM

804 posts, read 1,362,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
As a former Green card holder I did not have any major opinions when it came to politics. I did keep my thoughts inside and never voiced my opinion openly.
I am a permanent resident as well. But I do not keep my thoughts to myself. I do not vote, but I do have a voice. And I will use my voice in a way that it's civilized and that respects other people's voice. If I see any wrongdoing I will speak up.

If I am a guest at someone's house and the house owner is performing a crime, I will certainly express my opinion on the matter to the owner. Not because I think I am better than them, but because I think I should stand for what I think it's right, where ever I am.

Quote:
A Green card holder is here as a Legal resident having fulfilled all paper requirements and fees associated. They are a guest in the country until Citizenship.

Non payment or replying for a renewal means the person has to return to country of origin. So..it's goodby time.

I looked at my card as a temporary residence ID with NO voice until I became a Citizen.
I do not know about yours, but my Green Card says "Permanent Resident Card"; it does not sat "Temporary Resident Card" or "Seasonal Resident Card" or "Visitor Card". It says Permanent. And even though I cannot vote until I became a citizen, I do can voice my opinion.

Quote:
A green card holder does not have the voice of a Citizen because when that card expires...they could be history in the US.

I know a Mexican who has had a Green card for many yrs. His wife did become a US citizen some yrs back while he hesitated. Now he remarks about the high fee he paid to renew last year. Both he and his wife paid into SS for decades so they do collect every month.

I'm a property owner in Baja Mexico with a ID card which still does not allow me to voice my opinion on Mexican Politics.

I would compare the two cards as neither one allows the person to voice opinions regarding Govmt policies.

Steve
I am not sure if you realize this, but by posting this, you have voiced your opinion in politics. You say that you do not. But your opinion is that a permanent resident should forfeit their voice in politics.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:59 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,977,638 times
The word "temporary" was meant that as long as the card was "Valid" and current I was allowed to remain in the US. Today if the "dated" card expires without being properly renewed the person is subject to deportation.

Today a person with a Green card who exits the country for up to a year without renewing the card is disallowed any further residency from what I understand. The Green card can be revoked if not used with honest intentions for residency needs.

Has been a long time (decades) since I had the Green card. Remember having to register my address every January.

As to your last sentence...I do not talk politics with anyone...including with the Mexican wife I had while living in Mexico City. She was pro PRI (senior executive in a Govmt Co) and went to the rallys...I stayed home and watched the dog.

Has been a enchanting little debate over nothing important...a little sideline is all.

When you become a citizen then I would love to discuss our politics in it's entirety. Until then we have nothing in common.

Steve

Old 06-23-2009, 02:00 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,055,215 times
Let's remember that this is a PUBLIC forum and not your local voting poll. This is not a formal debate either and people from ALL over the world who don't even live in the states (Europe, Asia, etc. not just Houston, come here to voice their opinion. It bothers me more when someone who has never even been to the US posts because they have no clue what they are talking about. Kellem, your opinions are welcomed and enjoyed. Keep posting and voicing your opinion, it's your freedom of speech. Our Bill of Rights says so.

Now getting back to the subject at hand, law enforcement should not be targeting minors. They should be targeting adults. To deport them to a land they don't even know without the protection of their parents is in my opinion, a human rights violation.

Old 06-23-2009, 03:32 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,749,158 times
Everyone has the right to speak their minds here, as long as it's on topic and within the ToS. Being a citizen or not is irrelevant.

Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration