Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 02:09 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,911,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
bek the the fat will die young, happy and helpless
but not so the illegals.
a sobering thought ----if america cant stop 21 million unarmed invaders could they stop armed invaders.
The accepted number is closer to 12million...even by conservatives. If they are unarmed, they are hardly invaders. Immigrants would be the best word to describe unarmed people moving to a different country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 05:34 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,315,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
fail to acknowledge the costs of obesity. In 2004 the "cost" of illegal immigration was stated to be $10 billion annually. Granted, this study is 5 years old, yet the costs would not have dramatically increased. Illegal Immigrants' Cost to Government Studied (washingtonpost.com)

However, obesity costs $41 billion annually. Some researchers have shown, those that live in more conservative areas are more likely to be obese (the deep South, the Midwest, the intermountain region...)

So this begs the question, why focus on the costs of illegal immigration...and not on other more pressing issues?

I understand this is the illegal immigration forum, so of course you won't talk about obesity costs, but the point I'm making is that there more pressing issues we are currently facing.
I already addressed it for myself and lost 108 pounds. I am no longer obese. Anything else?

Old 07-15-2009, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Besides, hispanics have a high rate of obesity so we may end up with obese illegal aliens.
May? Already have. At least in Dallas. Usually the men are not obese but the women and all of the children are (from my observations).

Old 07-15-2009, 05:42 AM

50,371 posts, read 47,120,861 times
Quote:
The accepted number is closer to 12million...even by conservatives. If they are unarmed, they are hardly invaders. Immigrants would be the best word to describe unarmed people moving to a different country.
Those that work are Immigrant workers, what do we coin those that come to steal documents, social security numbers and social services. Surely you wouldn't lump those into the same category as the ones who come here just to work as day laborers?

Setting aside the fact that they overstayed a visa or crossed illegally of course.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:45 AM

807 posts, read 1,303,855 times
Illegal Immigration and obesity.. Seems to go hand in hand.. The ones that I see standing outside the gas station in town look VERY well fed.. As do the Illegals that I see pushing the baby strollers..

Old 07-15-2009, 05:51 AM

4,829 posts, read 7,753,449 times
Quote:
Exactly facts are facts. Hence why I posted this. That it is time that the facts are shown. $10billion vs. $41billion annually. Obese people cost the nation 4x more annually. Not saying we should harm or heckle fat people, but merely pointing out that its interesting that the energy is spent on trying to use illegal immigrants as scape goats for a whole host of problems, yet we don't do that to other types of people that put more of a financial strain (obese people being simply an example).
The only people who think illegal immigrants cause all the problem in this nation are the zealots on this board. I haven't seen a poll yet that supports their claim. Most americans rank illegal immigration well below many problems the nation is facing right now.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarpunk View Post
Illegal Immigration and obesity.. Seems to go hand in hand.. The ones that I see standing outside the gas station in town look VERY well fed.. As do the Illegals that I see pushing the baby strollers..
Most of the ones I see around here seem pretty well-fed. You cannot tell if a Hispanic is illegal due to their weight though. Sadly most of the Hispanics I see here in DFW are overweight or obese. It did not used to be that way. (To be fair, a good deal of the whites and most of the blacks I see are also overweight/obese, but Hispanics seem to be the fattest ethnic group in Texas.)

Old 07-15-2009, 06:31 AM

26,701 posts, read 41,775,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
May? Already have. At least in Dallas. Usually the men are not obese but the women and all of the children are (from my observations).
Also have a whole mess of fat illegals here in Northern VA. Wouldn't look so bad if they were a little taller (most here aren't any taller than 5'7), of course i'm probably not one to talk. I may be 290+ pounds, but i am 6'4-6'5 and a former football player. Dont make it right but still looks a little better.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:47 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,237,375 times
Quote:
That would be correct if said individuals applied for and are granted a legal VISA to enter said country.
The better word to describe those who ignore immigration laws would be Criminals.
Like all criminals illegals feel that laws are for suckers.
If their first statement upon entering a country is ********* and your laws do we really want them here? Because that is exactly what an illegals first statement is.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:19 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,647,292 times
Quote:
fail to acknowledge the costs of obesity. In 2004 the "cost" of illegal immigration was stated to be $10 billion annually. Granted, this study is 5 years old, yet the costs would not have dramatically increased. Illegal Immigrants' Cost to Government Studied (washingtonpost.com)

However, obesity costs $41 billion annually. Some researchers have shown, those that live in more conservative areas are more likely to be obese (the deep South, the Midwest, the intermountain region...)

So this begs the question, why focus on the costs of illegal immigration...and not on other more pressing issues?

I understand this is the illegal immigration forum, so of course you won't talk about obesity costs, but the point I'm making is that there more pressing issues we are currently facing.
Obesity is a problem, no doubt.

But what you fail to recognize is that obese Americans have every right to live in the US and it is the US' responsibility (if we have a UHC) to promote a healthy lifestyle.
Illegal immigrants on the other hand have no right to be in the US and every dime that is spent on them is money that could have gone to more deserving programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration