Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 01:34 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,102,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
But the original poster said this:

Two different issues. If you have a problem with illegal immigration that's one thing - he has a problem with non-English speakers as well. I'd personally much rather be around non-English speakers than people who have a problem with non-English speakers.

I realize that, I was only trying to post objective information regarding illegal immigration in NC and avoid the moral/social part of the discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2007, 01:40 PM

177 posts, read 847,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
It certainly seems that way, doesn't it? Sad.
I agree that's sad, especially after living in Atlanta for nine years in a neighbourhood where hispanic immigrants were so "illegal" they were, legally, able to purchase houses - and renovate them - and love them. Sure, lack of comprehension of the english language = "illegal". But I digress...

I spent 6 years in the lower mainland (Vancouver area) of BC (lived there from 1/01 - 8/06, to be exact). If you think the illegal population here is problematic just because they don't speak english, then I challenge you to do your research into the problem BC is having with illegal immigrants - the huge majority of which are very, VERY wealthy and come in under false pretenses - then become illegal intentionally - and engage in activities like gun running, hard drug creation and distribution, prostitution, etc. . Oh, and none of them speak either of the country's two official languages either.

My response to anyone who has a problem with the hispanic population is pick up an elementary spanish vocabulary book, study up, engage any one of "then" you meet in a conversation and open your mind. And for gosh's sake, stop with the "they're stealing our jobs" - unless you *really* aspire to be a fry cook at Chik-fil-a, or a lawn cutter (and if you do and are a part of this board - a board so filled with intelligent, motivated, helpful people, then I feel sorry for you).

eileen

Old 04-22-2007, 01:43 PM

1,025 posts, read 4,094,781 times
I know this started out as a discussion specific to the Raleigh area, but the policy of City-Data is that all "illegal immigration" threads in any city/state forum shall be promptly moved to the "Immigration" sub-forum of our "Politics & Other Controversies" category.

However, you may continue the discussion (and please do) as I'm leaving a permanent redirect link to it on this forum so that the "shadow topic" stays here -- and it should also come up on any future searches in this forum as well.

Old 04-22-2007, 02:29 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,748,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejmatl View Post
I agree that's sad, especially after living in Atlanta for nine years in a neighbourhood where hispanic immigrants were so "illegal" they were, legally, able to purchase houses - and renovate them - and love them. Sure, lack of comprehension of the english language = "illegal". But I digress...

I spent 6 years in the lower mainland (Vancouver area) of BC (lived there from 1/01 - 8/06, to be exact). If you think the illegal population here is problematic just because they don't speak english, then I challenge you to do your research into the problem BC is having with illegal immigrants - the huge majority of which are very, VERY wealthy and come in under false pretenses - then become illegal intentionally - and engage in activities like gun running, hard drug creation and distribution, prostitution, etc. . Oh, and none of them speak either of the country's two official languages either.

My response to anyone who has a problem with the hispanic population is pick up an elementary spanish vocabulary book, study up, engage any one of "then" you meet in a conversation and open your mind. And for gosh's sake, stop with the "they're stealing our jobs" - unless you *really* aspire to be a fry cook at Chik-fil-a, or a lawn cutter (and if you do and are a part of this board - a board so filled with intelligent, motivated, helpful people, then I feel sorry for you).

eileen

Eileen - Not all of America's citizens have been fortunate enough to complete the sort of higher education which would enable them to break out of the lower end of the income bracket. What are these people supposed to do? Stay on welfare? Where is their chance at working their way toward the American dream?

Is it fair that some 18 year old American kid who is unable to get a scholarship or financial aid to attend college should be disqualified from a higher education because he is unable to find a service job to supplement his income and allow him to attend school?

What about the days when kids found jobs in high school and saved money for their own cars or education? How can they do so when all of the jobs which had typically been done in the past by American high school kids have been farmed out to illegal aliens?

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the current U.S. population of American citizens (not including illegal aliens) is 301,671,671. Approximately 5% of those Americans are unemployed right now. That means that the are over fifteen MILLION Americans who are out of work. It is estimated that there are approximately 20 million illegal aliens currently in this country. Of course, not all of them are working as evidenced by our overburdened hospitals, schools, social systems, and prison systems. Say that half of them are. That is ten million jobs that are NOT going to American citizens. With a current unemployment rate of close to 5%, I'd say we have plenty of workers available to fill those positions.

But, you exclaim, the illegals will work for so much less than Americans! Yep, Americans do expect to be paid a living wage in order to support their families. So those of us on this board who are intelligent and motivated would have to assume that you are okay with the exploitation of the illegal immigrants. You obviously must agree that it is perfectly okay to pay an entire geo-political race of people in this country slave wages, under the table, away from the scrutiny of Uncle Sam, no bothersome taxes to file, no health insurance, no workman's comp., and with none of the safety checks that are put into place at the workplace for LEGAL American citizens.

This entire argument goes so much deeper than the surface argument of "these poor people only want to come here to work." I maintain that to address this issue on the surface by suggesting that Americans shouldn't aspire to be fry cooks or gardeners, and that all we need to do in order for everyone to get along is to pick up an "elementary school Spanish vocabulary book" is absurd and dangerously shallow.

There are millions of poor and unemployed Americans in this country. They only want the chance to work to support themselves and their families. What about them? Why must we as Americans be blackmailed under the threat of the race card, into giving our all to another country's poor, when our own are crying out for just a chance?

All of this without even getting into the rule of law and the anarchy whcih results from the breakdown of the former....

Last edited by Kele; 04-22-2007 at 02:38 PM..

Old 04-22-2007, 02:40 PM

177 posts, read 847,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
But, you exclaim, the illegals will work for so much less than Americans! Yep, Americans do expect to be paid a living wage in order to support their families. So those of us on this board who are intelligent and motivated would have to assume that you are okay with the exploitation of the illegal immigrants.
Ummm...you totally missed my point (which was very "tongue in cheek", admittedly). The "illegals" in my former neighbourhood weren't illegal at all. They were naturalised - and, therefore, had the same rights you and I have. The only difference between them and us was they spoke spanish as their primary language - and we do not.

I guess what I'm getting at is don't judge someone by the colour of her/his skin or the language (s)he speaks. To do so is ignorant - and we, as a country, claim to not be that.

eileen

Old 04-22-2007, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Ummm...you totally missed my point (which was very "tongue in cheek", admittedly). The "illegals" in my former neighbourhood weren't illegal at all. They were naturalised - and, therefore, had the same rights you and I have. The only difference between them and us was they spoke spanish as their primary language - and we do not.

I guess what I'm getting at is don't judge someone by the colour of her/his skin or the language (s)he speaks. To do so is ignorant - and we, as a country, claim to not be that.

eileen
I would hope that by now, the majority of Americans would not judge someone simply by the color of their skin or by the language they speak. I know that there are some throwbacks on the evolutionary chain out there who cannot get the idea that the races should be separate out of their heads, but I would hope that we, as a civilization, have evolved past the majority of that rubbish.

That said though, it is difficult to overcome in everyday life when you are bombarded by people who label you intolerant and racist simply because you want the rule of law enforced in the country in which you live. That, my friend, is ignorant.

Old 04-22-2007, 08:41 PM

129 posts, read 671,039 times
It is very sad to hear that you have a problem with non-English speaking people. How can you assume that illegal immigration equates with not speaking English. A person that speaks one language knows only one language .If you traveled outside the U.S. you will realize that most people speak at least 3 languages and are very tolerant of Americans who demand they speak their language. Therefore before you speak, please do your research. If you have problem with diversity, stay where you are and and do not attempt to live where civilized people live. Get over it, we are a diverse country because every Amerian today had an ancestor that came from somewhere else, they were immigrants and illegal too. Let us not forget. And by the way, not all non-English speaking people are illegal, I came to this country when I was 6 on American Airlines with legal papers. Good luck to you and I hope you try to work on your biases.

Old 04-22-2007, 09:18 PM

652 posts, read 2,803,863 times
Quote:

eileen
So, in which gated community do you live, Eileen?

Old 04-22-2007, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshyomaster View Post
It is very sad to hear that you have a problem with non-English speaking people. How can you assume that illegal immigration equates with not speaking English. A person that speaks one language knows only one language .If you traveled outside the U.S. you will realize that most people speak at least 3 languages and are very tolerant of Americans who demand they speak their language. Therefore before you speak, please do your research. If you have problem with diversity, stay where you are and and do not attempt to live where civilized people live. Get over it, we are a diverse country because every Amerian today had an ancestor that came from somewhere else, they were immigrants and illegal too. Let us not forget. And by the way, not all non-English speaking people are illegal, I came to this country when I was 6 on American Airlines with legal papers. Good luck to you and I hope you try to work on your biases.

Exactly who are you directing this post to? Enquiring minds want to know.

Old 04-23-2007, 07:24 AM

32 posts, read 76,557 times
The OP was asking about the non-English speaking population in Raleigh. It is well known that there are a number of people coming here illegally from Mexico and South America who don't speak English. I understand his concerns seeing a large number of them living in one house or hanging out on the corner waiting for a job. To answer the OP, you don't see this in most areas in Raleigh.

Now, on to the bigger issue. I thought the post from BC was interesting. We should be glad that most of the people coming here are simply wanting to work and have a better life. If you were in Mexico, you would likely be doing the same thing, I think anyone would. Most of us who grew up here had ancestors who came here legally, but things were very different then. Now, if someone wants to come here legally, the process takes a life time. We need immigration reform. Lastly, illegal workers have become a vital part of our economy. We all depend on them. When you go to the grocery store and lettuce is $1 a head instead of $2. Americans won't take these jobs unless you payed them much more (maybe it would be $3 a head). There are numerous examples, relating to agriculture, landscaping construction, factory work, etc.

I do think they should speak English, the language of this country. It would open up opportunity for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration