Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 08:49 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,759,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuy View Post
The OP was asking about the non-English speaking population in Raleigh. It is well known that there are a number of people coming here illegally from Mexico and South America who don't speak English. I understand his concerns seeing a large number of them living in one house or hanging out on the corner waiting for a job. To answer the OP, you don't see this in most areas in Raleigh.

Now, on to the bigger issue. I thought the post from BC was interesting. We should be glad that most of the people coming here are simply wanting to work and have a better life. If you were in Mexico, you would likely be doing the same thing, I think anyone would. Most of us who grew up here had ancestors who came here legally, but things were very different then. Now, if someone wants to come here legally, the process takes a life time. We need immigration reform. Lastly, illegal workers have become a vital part of our economy. We all depend on them. When you go to the grocery store and lettuce is $1 a head instead of $2. Americans won't take these jobs unless you payed them much more (maybe it would be $3 a head). There are numerous examples, relating to agriculture, landscaping construction, factory work, etc.

I do think they should speak English, the language of this country. It would open up opportunity for them.
So essentially what you are saying is that you support the exploitation of these illegal alien workers and that you have no problem with the modern day slavery of an entire geo-political class of people as long as the price of your lettuce doesn't go up.

By the way, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, approximately 2% of the illegal immigrant population currently in the U.S. is working in agriculture. Much of agriculture is going mechanical. The other 98% are doing those jobs that the "Decider" has decided that 15 MILLION poor and unemployed AMERICAN CITIZENS won't do.

Last edited by Kele; 04-23-2007 at 09:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 11:48 AM

238 posts, read 180,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
I see people do it all the time. I was getting breakfast at McDonald's the other day. There is a very nice Cuban young woman who works the morning shift. She speaks very good English, but with an accent.

Had a stupid idiot start spouting off about all the 'damn f****' wet back illegals they are letting in to steal jobs.

I felt so bad for her...she didn't deserve it. I was next in line and talked to her about it, she said that idiot does it about once a month. (She tried to tell him she was Cuban once....he told her he didn't care what part of Mexico she was from)....but she also said that it was very rare for that to happen, so it isn't common.

Shame it has to happen at all.

That's funny...that Idiot is on this board (using many names).

...I don't care where
Cuba is in Mexico...?

Old 04-23-2007, 12:34 PM

32 posts, read 76,670 times
It is not slavery if they are willingly coming here. What they have here is better than what they had in Mexico or they would not come. First generation immigrants always have the toughest time. The children of these immigrants will grow up in the American system and will not do the same kind of work.

The produce example is just to say that we all benefit from illegal workers. Given the choice, most people buy based on price.

Old 04-23-2007, 07:01 PM

Quote:
It is not slavery if they are willingly coming here. What they have here is better than what they had in Mexico or they would not come. First generation immigrants always have the toughest time. The children of these immigrants will grow up in the American system and will not do the same kind of work.

The produce example is just to say that we all benefit from illegal workers. Given the choice, most people buy based on price.
It is exploitation, plain and simple. Just because they come here willingly, employers have the right to pay them less, give them no benefits, give them unsafe working environments, and cheat the government out of the tax dollars that the rest of us end up burdened with? If that isn't a RACIST statement, I don't know what is.

No great country was ever built on the labor of slavery or exploitation. This country was not built upon slavery or the usery of an entire geo-political class of people. This country was built by hard working Americans and we do not need to rely on the menial labor of the chattel big business insists on importing into this country.

Your produce example is false, just as your statement about everyone benefiting from illegal alien workers in this country is false. There is not one iota of credible evidence which backs up your claim. However, I can give you pages upon pages upon pages of credible evidence which shows just how much of a detriment and a drain illegal immigration is on the American society as a whole.

So what if a few people benefit? The majority does not. The fifteen million unemployed Americans do not benefit by the presence of nearly 20 million undocumented aliens in this country lowering the wage base and practically insuring that those who cannot qualify for white collar jobs will not work. The families of the nearly 4,000 Americans per year killed at the hands of illegal aliens do not benefit from their presence. The taxpayers in the State of California, who fork out over 10.5 BILLION DOLLARS a year in services for illegal aliens do not benefit from their presence.

THE NEEDS OF THE MANY, OUTWEIGH THE NEEDS OF THE FEW

Old 04-23-2007, 07:14 PM

The railroads were built by first generation Irish immigrants and Chinese immigrants out west. The work was hard, but they were willing to do it for a better life.

One thing you are not counting on is that allot of poor Americans do not want to work. They are mostly concerned if their welfare check will cover their bills.

Sure illegals commit crime, but allot of them don't want to get caught and sent back. Legal Americans also commit allot of crimes.

If there are 20 million undocumented aliens in this country, it would take about 50 years to send them back if we could send 1000 back each day. This means that there is not simple solution. Anyway, you don't have the answers.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:07 PM

Actually, I do have the answers.

1. Cut-off ALL benefits to illegal aliens. No more education, medical care (except in case of dire emergencies), no more housing, food stamps, medicaid, medicare, NOTHING.

2. Heavily fine and imprison any and all persons employing illegal aliens. In and Out Burger here in California has come up with a system which allows them to hire only LEGAL citizens and immigrants, so has AMC Theatres as well as Dunkin Donuts. If they can do it, everyone else can do it too.

3. Define and clarify the 14th Amendment, once and for all. The Amendment's original authors never intended it to be used to allow the children of foreign nationals to become American citizens just by virtue of birth. The Fourteenth Amendment of the Constitution was and remains today, a promissory note from the United States Government to Black Americans and their children, whose ancestors were brought here against their will and forced into slavery. It completes the Civil Rights Act of 1866 and the unfinished business of the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

This constitutional amendment was not intended to write a blank check to the anchor babies of those who sneak across our borders illegally, but was in reparation for the evils of slavery. One of the Fourteenth Amendment's key authors, Michigan Senator Jacob Howard explained in 1866 that the citizenship clause, intended to ensure the rights of former slaves and their children, "would not, of course, include persons born in the United States whose parents are foreigners, aliens, or who belong to families of ambassadors or foreign ministers accredited to the Government of the United States..."

The only ones we'd have to return to sender would be the approximately 30% of inmates in federal and state prisons.

Take away the American free ride and the illegals will self deport. We wouldn't have to lift a finger to deport them. No jobs, no free ride at the taxpayer's expense, no automatic citizenship for anchor babies, no reason to be here.

For you to say that the 15 million poor and unemployed Americans don't want to work and only want to sit around collecting their welfare checks is as asinine and thick-witted as the Decider's illegal loving platitude, "They're only doing the work Americans won't do."

Both of you have lost touch with reality.

By the way, there is more to this country than railroads, but at least the immigrants who worked on them came into this country legally and did all they could to assimilate and become Americans.

Additionally, we have enough crime in this country. Why in the name of all that is sane, would we want to import more?

Once again, you do not back your argument with facts with verifiable sources. Hmm...why is that I wonder? Could it be that you can't find any to back your position?

Old 04-25-2007, 06:08 PM

http://emuse.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/19688

Old 04-25-2007, 06:35 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,687,645 times
Quote:
The railroads were built by first generation Irish immigrants and Chinese immigrants out west. The work was hard, but they were willing to do it for a better life.

One thing you are not counting on is that allot of poor Americans do not want to work. They are mostly concerned if their welfare check will cover their bills.

Sure illegals commit crime, but allot of them don't want to get caught and sent back. Legal Americans also commit allot of crimes.

If there are 20 million undocumented aliens in this country, it would take about 50 years to send them back if we could send 1000 back each day. This means that there is not simple solution. Anyway, you don't have the answers.

I know alot of poor people that want and need the work and would do it if given the chance. And they are not undocumented, they are illegal.

Old 04-25-2007, 06:39 PM

112 posts, read 258,438 times
I also mourn the loss of what North Carolina used to be. Instead of getting over it I try to do something about it. Elect smart growth politicians, etc… But the biggest fight to me is the one against illegal immigration. We also need to curb legal immigration to sensible levels.

I got this information off the Center for Immigration Studies website.

“The most recent Census Bureau projections provide insight into the likely effect of immigration on population growth throughout this century. According to the Census Bureau’s middle-range projections, if current trends continue, the U.S. population will grow to 404 million by 2050. If there were no immigration, these same projections indicate that the U.S. population would be 328 million (76 million fewer) in 2050. This means that immigration will account for about 63 percent of U.S. population growth over the next 50 years.“

Each year more than 1.5 million legal and illegal immigrants are settling in the United States.

There are plenty of resources to use in this fight.

Nclisten.com
Alipac.us
Fairus.org

I wish this country could support everyone that wants to live here but that isn’t realistic. The problems people are mentioning now are going to get a lot worse!

Old 04-25-2007, 07:12 PM

You know, the OP didn't even state the exact problems with illegal immigration. What are the problems.

Michelle is 35, and that is a good age, not too young to be foolish, not too old to be senile. Michelle, what is the real problem here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration