Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 09:33 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,214,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfields View Post
Can you explain to me how an illegal immigrant looks different from other hispanic people? You can't even be sure when someone is or isn't hispanic by looking at them because there are hispanic people of all races (mixed, indian, black, white, asian). For examply, how does Ricky Martin look any different from any other ordinary white guy? How does Gilbert Arenas or Carmelo Anthony look different from an ordinary black guy? If a brown skinned mexican grew his hair long and put a feather in it, you'd probably think he was a sioux indian or something. You can't even tell for sure when somebody is or isn't hispanic by their appearance, so how the hell are you going to take it a step further and be able to tell who is legal and who is illegal?
You know that and I know that.

Although, try telling that to the stereotypical la raza variety of Hispanic who perceives onlyMestizos as such----------they tend to have heartburn dealing with, say, a Nordic White Argentine with the name of Gisela Bohrman. That was a made up name although there are plenty of Argentines of German lineage.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:11 PM

78,862 posts, read 46,783,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enuffguff View Post
Let's have some people make a mistake and arrest and ship you to Alaska. No big deal. It's your country?

A free ride to Alaska? Winter or summer?

Had you said to Iran, I may be a little bent out of shape.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:53 PM

53 posts, read 93,458 times
the immigration officials make mistakes. sometimes americans are deported.

sometimes the rounded up undocumented are given GREEN CARDS. yep, GREEN CARDS.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:53 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,055,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobejano View Post
the immigration officials make mistakes. sometimes americans are deported.

sometimes the rounded up undocumented are given GREEN CARDS. yep, GREEN CARDS.
They do? Green cards? I thought they got rid of those a long time ago. They give temporary resident cards, permanent resident cards, work permit cards, etc. BTW, none of these are greeen. I didn't know they did that. Can you show me a link to that?

Old 08-02-2009, 04:06 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,055,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I'd prefer Hawaii. I'm not a dual citizen that has allegience to two countries. I'm just saying these people should have some dignity when they end back in their other country they love so much and not claim it's so horrible and devastating to be there a few days.

Would these dual citizens scream and holler so much if their other country accidently deported them to the USA?
I doubt you would even hear how devastating and horrible the other country is from someone who has dual citizenship.

I for one, have a job to do. I have bills to pay and if those bills dont get paid because someone decided to put me in prison for something I am not guilty of, it can be devastating. The government doesnt decide to put a hold in my life or force me to take I vacation. As a US citizen I have the right to pick, choose and schedule when I want to take a vacation or when I want to leave permanently to my other country. The government is still wrong for this and having dual citizenship does not make it any less grave.

Think about it, let's say it was someone with dual citizenship from Mexico, like me. I would either be encarcerated for failure to sign deportation papers or I would be released to the border. Where at the border can I go? I have no family there and it's not like I can just get up and go with my family. If I'm trying to fight my rights, I need to stay close to the border to the nearest immigration office for my hearing.

Either way you want to look at it, it is unfair.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:16 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,859,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
I doubt you would even hear how devastating and horrible the other country is from someone who has dual citizenship.

I for one, have a job to do. I have bills to pay and if those bills dont get paid because someone decided to put me in prison for something I am not guilty of, it can be devastating. The government doesnt decide to put a hold in my life or force me to take I vacation. As a US citizen I have the right to pick, choose and schedule when I want to take a vacation or when I want to leave permanently to my other country. The government is still wrong for this and having dual citizenship does not make it any less grave.

Think about it, let's say it was someone with dual citizenship from Mexico, like me. I would either be encarcerated for failure to sign deportation papers or I would be released to the border. Where at the border can I go? I have no family there and it's not like I can just get up and go with my family. If I'm trying to fight my rights, I need to stay close to the border to the nearest immigration office for my hearing.

Either way you want to look at it, it is unfair.

I very much doubt something like this would happen to you or someone like you because for one, you speak English well. You would be knowledgeble enough about the USA, you would not seem at all like someone who just crossed the border from Mexico.

I know how the border agents look for illegals and I know the kinds of questions they ask when they stop someone because they've questioned me three different times. I've seen them question other people too. Many border agents are hispanic, and like most hispanics living on the border, they can tell just like many Americans can tell if someone is likely from England or Haiti.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:19 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,859,580 times
---And that's also why I don't lose any sleep over the people who are "wrongly" deported. If their parents and schools never made an effort to teach them English or anything about the country they are living in, or they never made any effort to learn English or anything about the country they are living in, whose fault is it?

If they want to live, talk, act forever like they just made it across the border while reaping all the benefits of this country then I really don't care if they get deported. There's more to being an American than that little piece of paper.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:22 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,787,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I very much doubt something like this would happen to you or someone like you because for one, you speak English well. You would be knowledgeble enough about the USA, you would not seem at all like someone who just crossed the border from Mexico.
When I was 20, I was working for Hopkins Marine Station in Monterey, CA. I am born and raised in the United States. The only Spanish I knew, I learned in high school. I even had a 710 score on the SAT verbal, 700 GRE verbal, and 6.0 GRE analytical (to provide some objective measures of my comprehension of English).

While I was working in the lab late one night, an alarm went off at the business across the street. I called it in. Uniformed officer showed up, and I went out to check in with him. He didn't believe that I worked at the lab. He didn't believe that I called it in. He thought I was an illegal alien who broke in, and he called an immigration detention van then asked me for ID. I produced my driver's license. He called it a fake, and took it. I begged him to let me go back into the lab and get my passport. He said he was not going to let me have a chance to run away. He got the word back that the alarm was a fire alarm. He still decided to detain me for INS to pick up. After nearly 30 minutes, with INS almost there, he decided to accompany me into the station to get my ID (since there appeared to be no crime). He was shocked I knew the door code, and more shocked that my passport was really in there. He called off INS. As he went to get into his car, I reminded him that he still had my driver's license, which he then returned to me (apparently no longer certain it was a fake).

True, I did not get deported; but my ability to speak English and knowledge of the United States also did not override my appearance. If I had not needed my passport for research travel and had it with me that summer, how would that night have ended up? At what point would my citizenship have been established? Where would I have been and how would I have been getting back to my job the next morning?

Old 08-03-2009, 10:34 AM

1,448 posts, read 3,112,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
When I was 20, I was working for Hopkins Marine Station in Monterey, CA. I am born and raised in the United States. The only Spanish I knew, I learned in high school. I even had a 710 score on the SAT verbal, 700 GRE verbal, and 6.0 GRE analytical (to provide some objective measures of my comprehension of English).

While I was working in the lab late one night, an alarm went off at the business across the street. I called it in. Uniformed officer showed up, and I went out to check in with him. He didn't believe that I worked at the lab. He didn't believe that I called it in. He thought I was an illegal alien who broke in, and he called an immigration detention van then asked me for ID. I produced my driver's license. He called it a fake, and took it. I begged him to let me go back into the lab and get my passport. He said he was not going to let me have a chance to run away. He got the word back that the alarm was a fire alarm. He still decided to detain me for INS to pick up. After nearly 30 minutes, with INS almost there, he decided to accompany me into the station to get my ID (since there appeared to be no crime). He was shocked I knew the door code, and more shocked that my passport was really in there. He called off INS. As he went to get into his car, I reminded him that he still had my driver's license, which he then returned to me (apparently no longer certain it was a fake).

True, I did not get deported; but my ability to speak English and knowledge of the United States also did not override my appearance. If I had not needed my passport for research travel and had it with me that summer, how would that night have ended up? At what point would my citizenship have been established? Where would I have been and how would I have been getting back to my job the next morning?
Wow, sounds like dumbness off the chain. What a retard officer.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:20 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,214,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post

That is weird.

Needless to say: unless there was probable cause; which in your case there was not.........the cop should have simply called in your DL and left it at that.

Yes; a few more illegals would get away but under US law---------one is innocent till proven guilty.

FYI: my birth surname would have raised a red flag with Interpol had I been attempting to board an airliner to India--------a wanted Islamist terrorist with that identical name is still loose. Admittedly, said terrorist looks stereotypically E Indian and I am Nordic White in looks but still--------the chance for mischief was there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration