Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 09:34 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,684,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynflip View Post
Your situation sounds nothing like the other guys.
Being pulled over for having a specific vehicle matching a description for a specific crime is no way comparable to being hassled for having certain racial features just for having racial features.
The comparison is a weak one.
I've also been questioned by border patrol several times so I highly doubt it's all about racial features and "Mexican" isn't a race in the first place, it's a nationality.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:56 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,126,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I've also been questioned by border patrol several times so I highly doubt it's all about racial features and "Mexican" isn't a race in the first place, it's a nationality.
Very true: Vincente Fox (Fuchs); the former president of Mexico does not look stereotypically 'Mexican' at all.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:53 PM

33 posts, read 40,690 times
Quote:
Let me guess...passing through a checkpoint? And the questions were in the nature of "Where are you coming from?" "Where are you headed?" "Please pop your trunk."
Try as hard as you can, but I doubt you'll pull up a personal experience similar to that guy's story.
Also, most Mexicans in American are Spanish mixed with Indigenous, or just indigenous. There are traits that are considered to be descriptive of Hispanics in the context of the United States. Don't pretend you don't know that.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynflip View Post
Let me guess...passing through a checkpoint? And the questions were in the nature of "Where are you coming from?" "Where are you headed?" "Please pop your trunk."
Try as hard as you can, but I doubt you'll pull up a personal experience similar to that guy's story.
Also, most Mexicans in American are Spanish mixed with Indigenous, or just indigenous. There are traits that are considered to be descriptive of Hispanics in the context of the United States. Don't pretend you don't know that.
Then care to explain why our American Indians are not profiled? They certainly qualify under your guidelines for physical appearance----------unless because virtually all of the former speak fluent American English?

Old 08-05-2009, 12:57 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,662,998 times
they do.
i got native friends and they are always confused for mexicans. especially the bald headed ones. i think it might also depend on the area. in LA the native community is more spread out than in traditional enclaves throughout the SW. a lot of them pass for "mexican". and a lot of "mexican lookin" people are actually yaqui, huichol, pueblo indigenous.

they do get mixed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Then care to explain why our American Indians are not profiled? They certainly qualify under your guidelines for physical appearance----------unless because virtually all of the former speak fluent American English?

Old 08-08-2009, 03:26 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,044,440 times
Quote:
---And that's also why I don't lose any sleep over the people who are "wrongly" deported. If their parents and schools never made an effort to teach them English or anything about the country they are living in, or they never made any effort to learn English or anything about the country they are living in, whose fault is it?

If they want to live, talk, act forever like they just made it across the border while reaping all the benefits of this country then I really don't care if they get deported. There's more to being an American than that little piece of paper.
Malamute, if you read the article, one of the examples was a man who was a citizen and a truck driver. Wouldn't you think that he had to use their English skills to pass the driver's test?

I'm not sure that they are only targetting those that cant speak English. I'm sure they are targetting many who do speak English as well. My cousin went to Mexico by himself some 20 years ago or so...I still remember the incident. On his way back, immigration would not let him go through. He spoke very little broken Spanish and mostly English. He remained with immigration services for like three days, without his parents. They wouldnt even let my aunt see him until he was cleared. ICE does it all the time. It's bias, unfair and unjust...

But now...are you saying that it is okay to descriminate based on language accents?

Last edited by zacatecana; 08-08-2009 at 03:27 AM.. Reason: add

Old 08-08-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Malamute, if you read the article, one of the examples was a man who was a citizen and a truck driver. Wouldn't you think that he had to use their English skills to pass the driver's test?

I'm not sure that they are only targetting those that cant speak English. I'm sure they are targetting many who do speak English as well. My cousin went to Mexico by himself some 20 years ago or so...I still remember the incident. On his way back, immigration would not let him go through. He spoke very little broken Spanish and mostly English. He remained with immigration services for like three days, without his parents. They wouldnt even let my aunt see him until he was cleared. ICE does it all the time. It's bias, unfair and unjust...

But now...are you saying that it is okay to descriminate based on language accents?
Did your cousin have appropriate ID on his person? Frankly; it sounds to me there is more to this story than what you outlined, maybe he did not tell you the whole truth about why he was detained by INS (now ICE).

Old 08-08-2009, 11:23 AM

Just like the forumer, INS thought his documents were not legit. Excuses...

Old 08-08-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Just like the forumer, INS thought his documents were not legit. Excuses...
There was probable cause I bet.

Why I say that is back in 1980 I drove into Tijuana; had a very bad feeling about that place and hightailed back towards San Diego. Needless to say: our Border Patrol gave me some grief about attempting to cross back into my country. If the authorities decided to 'profile' a Nordic White American speaking standard English----------a stereotypically 'Hispanic' looking indivdual should expect to be scrutinized even more closely.

Dem's da breaks, kiddo.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:41 AM

No cause at all AZ. They thought they could hold him back but couldn't find a thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration