Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 11:25 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times

Advertisements

please appreciate our concern 21 million illegals are here.
we have no idea who is living in the country i mean aside from our mexican neighbors, not a clue.
time to tighten up a bit. homocide arrests are down 30% bek we have no idea who they are--- not in the system.
please dont reprimand for attempting to enforce the law.
fyi many think TSA is also stupid and pointless, its not.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:11 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
When I was 20, I was working for Hopkins Marine Station in Monterey, CA. I am born and raised in the United States. The only Spanish I knew, I learned in high school. I even had a 710 score on the SAT verbal, 700 GRE verbal, and 6.0 GRE analytical (to provide some objective measures of my comprehension of English).

While I was working in the lab late one night, an alarm went off at the business across the street. I called it in. Uniformed officer showed up, and I went out to check in with him. He didn't believe that I worked at the lab. He didn't believe that I called it in. He thought I was an illegal alien who broke in, and he called an immigration detention van then asked me for ID. I produced my driver's license. He called it a fake, and took it. I begged him to let me go back into the lab and get my passport. He said he was not going to let me have a chance to run away. He got the word back that the alarm was a fire alarm. He still decided to detain me for INS to pick up. After nearly 30 minutes, with INS almost there, he decided to accompany me into the station to get my ID (since there appeared to be no crime). He was shocked I knew the door code, and more shocked that my passport was really in there. He called off INS. As he went to get into his car, I reminded him that he still had my driver's license, which he then returned to me (apparently no longer certain it was a fake).

True, I did not get deported; but my ability to speak English and knowledge of the United States also did not override my appearance. If I had not needed my passport for research travel and had it with me that summer, how would that night have ended up? At what point would my citizenship have been established? Where would I have been and how would I have been getting back to my job the next morning?
Well one time I was traveling and pulled out of a gas stop and immediately was pulled over - sirens and all, I pulled over and the cops shone a big spot light on my car and waited until another police car pulled up.

Finally the cops came to the window, demanded to see my drivers license, shining a flashlight in my face and into and around my car.

It turns out someone was driving a similar sized and color car with plates from the same state and going around to rest stops holding people up with a gun.

Too bad but when they are looking for criminals, if you fit the physical description of the criminals in some way, you may get stopped and questioned. If this were not ever the case, it's not likely many criminals could ever be apprehended.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:19 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfields View Post
Can you explain to me how an illegal immigrant looks different from other hispanic people? You can't even be sure when someone is or isn't hispanic by looking at them because there are hispanic people of all races (mixed, indian, black, white, asian). For examply, how does Ricky Martin look any different from any other ordinary white guy? How does Gilbert Arenas or Carmelo Anthony look different from an ordinary black guy? If a brown skinned mexican grew his hair long and put a feather in it, you'd probably think he was a sioux indian or something. You can't even tell for sure when somebody is or isn't hispanic by their appearance, so how the hell are you going to take it a step further and be able to tell who is legal and who is illegal?
I suppose you cannot tell between Willie Nelson and Ozzy Osborne which one might be American and which one originally from another country. There's just no way to tell is there. Or try Queen Elizabeth and Hillary Clinton, just because they are the same race, there's just no way to tell who came from what country.

It's not race but very often you can tell if someone is from a certain country and if you're astute, you can often tell what part of the country they are likely from.

Believe it or not, people in Ciudad Juarez or Monterrey can often tell right off the bat that someone is from Oaxaca or Chiapas or isn't originally from CJ or Monterrey.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:28 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
They ran a story on the news the other morning, that Austins illegal immigrant population has increased by an estimated 10,000, since January. The crack downs in other states, especially surrounding states, has drawn them to Texas in hordes.

It is really getting bad here. Seriously.

So, what ever the other states are doing, it is working.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:07 AM

33 posts, read 40,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Well one time I was traveling and pulled out of a gas stop and immediately was pulled over - sirens and all, I pulled over and the cops shone a big spot light on my car and waited until another police car pulled up.

Finally the cops came to the window, demanded to see my drivers license, shining a flashlight in my face and into and around my car.

It turns out someone was driving a similar sized and color car with plates from the same state and going around to rest stops holding people up with a gun.

Too bad but when they are looking for criminals, if you fit the physical description of the criminals in some way, you may get stopped and questioned. If this were not ever the case, it's not likely many criminals could ever be apprehended.
Your situation sounds nothing like the other guys.
Being pulled over for having a specific vehicle matching a description for a specific crime is no way comparable to being hassled for having certain racial features just for having racial features.
The comparison is a weak one.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:17 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,148,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynflip View Post
Being pulled over for having a specific vehicle matching a description for a specific crime is no way comparable to being hassled for having certain racial features just for having racial features.
If you are inferring Mestizo Hispanics............how come American Indians usually are not profiled as well?

It is obviously more than just skin color/facial features there that give LE probable cause to make a traffic stop.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:23 PM

33 posts, read 40,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
If you are inferring Mestizo Hispanics............how come American Indians usually are not profiled as well?

It is obviously more than just skin color/facial features there that give LE probable cause to make a traffic stop.
How many American "Indians" are there compared to Mestizo Hispanics to make an accurate comparison? How do you know they are not profiled? What source are you using?

Old 08-04-2009, 01:53 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,148,401 times
Quote:
How many American "Indians" are there compared to Mestizo Hispanics to make an accurate comparison? How do you know they are not profiled? What source are you using?
Here in Arizona there are hundreds of thousands of American Indians (Navajo, Hopi, Apache, Zuni, Hualapai, etc.) out of a population of ca. 6 million yet they do not seem to be profiled by LE. Read that it must be something else.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:30 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,937,047 times
When I first came to the US in 1948...I was given a card... Green in color.

The color was changed many many yrs later but the name "Green Card" remained to this day.

Terms and usage have also been changed as per todays needs.

Steve

Old 08-04-2009, 03:53 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,669,924 times
exactly!

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.