Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 05:02 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,047,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The son of a decorated Vietnam veteran, Hector Veloz is a U.S. citizen, but in 2007 immigration officials mistook him for an illegal immigrant and locked him in an Arizona prison for 13 months.

Veloz had to prove his citizenship from behind bars. An aunt helped him track down his father's birth certificate and his own, his parents' marriage certificate, his father's school, military and Social Security records.
After nine months, a judge determined that he was a citizen, but immigration authorities appealed the decision. He was detained for five more months before he found legal help and a judge ordered his case dropped....Veloz is one of hundreds of U.S. citizens who have landed in the custody of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement and struggled to prove they don't belong there, according to advocacy groups and legal scholars, who have tracked such cases around the country. Some citizens have been deported.
In my family, those that have been stopped by ICE were able to show their legal papers because they were born in another country. I cant imagine ICE stopping me and asking for papers. What will I present? I dont carry my birth certificate.

One of hundreds? There are a few other cases in this article about other Americans that have been deported. They were racially profiled because of mental health, accents, looks etc.

This is completely unacceptable.

Oh wait, I get it, if Hispanics didnt make up the majority of illegal immigrants then they would not be racially profiled, right?

Or the other one, "So what?" maybe encarcerated they would stop having babies and then out grow the other ethnicities in numbers...xenophobia!

U.S. citizens wrongly detained, deported by ICE

Last edited by zacatecana; 07-27-2009 at 05:04 AM.. Reason: add

Old 07-27-2009, 05:49 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
In my family, those that have been stopped by ICE were able to show their legal papers because they were born in another country. I cant imagine ICE stopping me and asking for papers. What will I present? I dont carry my birth certificate.

One of hundreds? There are a few other cases in this article about other Americans that have been deported. They were racially profiled because of mental health, accents, looks etc.

Oh wait, I get it, if Hispanics didnt make up the majority of illegal immigrants then they would not be racially profiled, right?

Or the other one, "So what?" maybe encarcerated they would stop having babies and then out grow the other ethnicities in numbers...xenophobia!

That is correct; unfortunately Hispanics are racially profiled by ICE because they do constitute the overwhelming majority of illegal immigrants in this country.

However, ICE was wrong to appeal this man's case. He showed more than sufficient evidence that he is a US citizen and you should not have to carry your birth certificate with you to prove that you are a citizen, it is ridiculous.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:07 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,669,044 times
thats crummy! just really crummy.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:08 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,460,842 times
Quote:

This is why we need that National Identity Card.

The sooner the better.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:05 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:

He had no ID or drivers license? There had to be more to the story for him to be lost like that

Old 07-28-2009, 05:26 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
If I was a US citizen and appeared Hispanic I'd be hopping mad about illegal immigration from mostly our Southern border causing this...

Oh wait, I am........and I am......

Old 07-28-2009, 06:30 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,569,444 times
It's an unfortunate situation. However, God only knows how many innocent U.S. citizens are serving time in prison; some have even been executed for crimes they did not commit. It simply illustrates that no system is infallible.

Prior to the illegal alien invasion, I doubt this was a problem. Moreover, had this man not been incarcerated for purchasing stolen property, he most likely would not have encountered ICE.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:52 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,479,552 times
Quote:
Before his birth, Veloz's U.S.-born father was sent to Vietnam, so his pregnant mother stayed with relatives in Mexico and Veloz was born there. Months later, the family returned to the United States and has lived here since.

Veloz was automatically a citizen at birth, though his parents never obtained his certificate of citizenship.

In 2006, Veloz was convicted of receiving stolen property after purchasing a car that had been stolen. He served eight months and was about to be released from prison when he was turned over to ICE.

"I said, 'I'm a U.S. citizen, why am I being put through deportation?' " he recalled.

At the ICE prison in Arizona, the paperwork stated that he had entered the country illegally and that his father was a Mexican citizen.

"It was all incorrect information," Veloz said.

Read more: U.S. citizens wrongly detained, deported by ICE
If his parents had gone to the trouble of obtaining the certificate of citizenship, then he would have been able to prove he was a US citizen. The problem is not that he wasn't carrying his birth certificate around with him, the problem appears to be that there was no proof of his citizenship due to his parents failure to get the paperwork in order when they brought him to the US. But of course it is easier to blame the 'racist' ICE agents for profiling him. Furthermore, if he hadn't been in jail for receiving stolen goods in the first place, he may never have come to ICE's attention. After all, it is not like he was walking down the street when ICE agents grabbed him, threw him in jail and made him prove he was a citizen.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:22 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
From the article, how could he be born in Mexico and an automatic US citizen? Doesn't Mexico have their own 14th? I guess they don't. It's time we modify ours.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:31 AM

6,022 posts, read 7,832,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
If I was a US citizen and appeared Hispanic I'd be hopping mad about illegal immigration from mostly our Southern border causing this...

Oh wait, I am........and I am......
HOW IN THE HELL DO YOU OR CAN U APPEAR TO LOOK OR BE latino/HISPANIC
do away with that b.s label already
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration