Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 10:53 PM

2,381 posts, read 5,048,095 times

Advertisements

I found this blog and I thought I'd share with you all. I think it is very interesting.

Quote:
As an American against illegal immigration, I can not say I find your post to be accurate nor helpful to the issues of illegal immigration. As an American, I support our Constitution and find our judicial review process to be the best in the world even if I do not agree with it all the time and feel that defying the Constitution of the United States to be against my values as an American Patriot.
Moderator cut: shortened, copyright protection. Please provide a link to the original source

Last edited by Yac; 07-27-2009 at 07:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 12:44 AM

Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,853,644 times
Plenty of us, including myself, have supported penalizing employers.

As for solving the problem, it's simple. Penalize the employers, secure the borders, rescind all benefits and services for illegal aliens and deport any detained illegal aliens.

When all of the above is undertaken then the majority of illegal aliens will leave on their own terms.

There doesn't need to be a mass amnesty or mass deportations despite the media and politicians claiming that those are the only two options.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:51 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,311,645 times
The company that moved me out of my rental and into my house sent a non-English speaking illegal alien to my home. First thing Monday morning ICE is getting a call about that. I did call the movers to complain about the situation but was told basically to "kiss my a$$" and they already had my money so what could I do? I could not afford to wait and hire another moving company. I feel HORRIBLE. But ICE will definitely be getting a call from me and I will also be reporting this company to the Better Business Bureau.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:10 AM

706 posts, read 940,778 times
Zacatena,

Any link to the bloggers site ? I'd like to learn a little bit more about the blogger as well as some of the responders before reaching any conclusion.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:12 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,753,735 times
I believe that the vast majority of posters to this forum, me included, have long been screaming for penalities for those who hire illegal immigrants. As antireconquita stated, cutting off the possibility of employment for illegal aliens along with rescinding any and all goodies that draw them to the United States and the securing of ALL U.S. borders would ensure that the vast majority of illegal immigrants will self-deport.

Stop rewarding them for lawless behavior and there will no longer be a problem. You seem to think that being anti-illegal immigration equates with being anti-immigration and nothing could be further from the truth. I admire those who respect the laws of this country and choose to follow them when emigrating to America. I have zero respect for those who do not.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:52 AM

50,371 posts, read 47,109,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
I found this blog and I thought I'd share with you all. I think it is very interesting.
What I am reading is an opinion without data to back it up. What reports? What balance sheet?

Old 07-26-2009, 10:23 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,564,130 times
Interesting article, of course....and many good points to consider...but at some point, one must ask. "OK, so WHAT ?"....It's true that illegal immigration may have plenty of guilt to go around...but so do many "bad" things today. The "drug wars"...kids without parents...the horrendous failure of public education to "reach" many of its students....a general culture of coarseness, vulgarity, and violence, (starting in early childhood), and many other 'bad' things, each of them with a NUMBER of 'guilty parties' involved. But again, 'So What'? We can STILL be 'angry' and upset at these things..can't we?

Illegal immigration, in particular, has been subverted by all sides to the point that today, it's seen as 90% a 'racial' or ethnic issue. That fact is what causes MOST of the anger and misunderstanding, in my opinion. If being 'anti-Illegal' is defined as being 'anti-Hispanic'.....And if defending the rights (?) of illegals is defined as 'standing by the Hispanic community', then it's pretty obvious there can NEVER be any sort of 'agreement' on this subject, now or ever, and the best we can ever hope for is a grudging, hostile 'truce' between two unfriendly 'camps'. I see no possibility of any sort of 'common ground' as long as the issue is presented as a "pro-Hispanic/ anti-Hispanic" argument, and that's what it has become, in the majority of the posts on this forum.

We could start a forum on the damage caused our society by those who 'drop out of school'...or who become pregnant in their teenage years...or who abandon their children, or who drag their minor children in and out of one 'relatonship' after another, year after year....or even those in high elected office, who lie to their constituents, and fail to live up to their oath of office. ALL these things, just like illegal imigration, are 'bad' things...ALL of them have profoudly negative effects upon our society..and ALL of them make life rougher, tougher, and less 'nice'....But SOME of these things are legal....and NONE of them have been successfully presented as "racial" issues.

Believe me, if drunk driving was seen as a "racial" issue, that, TOO, would have a forum, and we'd be divided into the "pro-drunk-drivers" and the "anti-drunk-drivers"...and we'd be hearing that "most drunk drivers are NICE people...they don't consciously desire to hurt anyone....they usually don't INTEND to drive drunk...and very FEW of them actually get into car wrecks". But, of course, no such argument exists...because drunk driving isn't seen as an "ethnic" controversy, and the vast majority of ALL of us generally agree that drunk driving, in itself, is 'BAD' for society.We don't 'defend' it, we don't 'rationalize' it, we don't 'soft-pedal' it, we simply agree that it's wrong, because it jeopardizes the public. No such agreement is possible, at this point, on 'illegal immigration', nor will it be, as long as it's seen as 'race against race'. Until this changes, no intelligent discussion is possible. So we continue to present anti-illegals as 'anti-Hispanic'....and we continue to make illegals look 'good', by making LEGAL immigration look 'bad'...("immigration today is 'just like' immigration in the past...except for skin color"..etc etc etc). With that sort of 'baloney' passing as an intelligent statement, there's little possibility that this will have a happy ending.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:44 PM

640 posts, read 1,732,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
So we continue to present anti-illegals as 'anti-Hispanic'....and we continue to make illegals look 'good', by making LEGAL immigration look 'bad'...("immigration today is 'just like' immigration in the past...except for skin color"..etc etc etc). With that sort of 'baloney' passing as an intelligent statement, there's little possibility that this will have a happy ending.
I don't think all anti-illegals are anti-Hispanic, but there are enough to notice. There are people who GO OUT OF THEIR WAY to discriminate me based on my Latin appearance, even if I speak fluent English and I have a band shirt on (bands who would only be listened to by people who grow up here) and look (at least I THINK I look) like I am American. For many, this is about "I dont want my country to turn brown." Pure and simple. I am not for illegal immigration at all. But it is disingenuous to think that there isn't an underlying racism here, and especially in this forum. The old lady from Azle, TX didnt even make a distinction between American citizens from Latino descents and illegal immigrants. And other people were APPLAUDING HER, saying that it was in her first amendment rights to desrespect millions of people who are here fair and square. Perhaps I should go burn American flags simply because it is in my "right" to do so, right?
My family has paid THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS IN LEGAL FEES TO BE IN THIS COUNTRY.
People like her can k*** my ass because this country is mine fair and square and I sure as hell am not going anywhere.

Old 07-26-2009, 01:27 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,564,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueseas123 View Post
I don't think all anti-illegals are anti-Hispanic, but there are enough to notice. There are people who GO OUT OF THEIR WAY to discriminate me based on my Latin appearance, even if I speak fluent English and I have a band shirt on (bands who would only be listened to by people who grow up here) and look (at least I THINK I look) like I am American. For many, this is about "I dont want my country to turn brown." Pure and simple. I am not for illegal immigration at all. But it is disingenuous to think that there isn't an underlying racism here, and especially in this forum. The old lady from Azle, TX didnt even make a distinction between American citizens from Latino descents and illegal immigrants. And other people were APPLAUDING HER, saying that it was in her first amendment rights to desrespect millions of people who are here fair and square. Perhaps I should go burn American flags simply because it is in my "right" to do so, right?
My family has paid THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS IN LEGAL FEES TO BE IN THIS COUNTRY.
People like her can k*** my ass because this country is mine fair and square and I sure as hell am not going anywhere.
I agree. My spouse, some of my kids and grandkids, and family members are various shades of brown....from 'slight' to 'very'. The 'old lady' in the story was plainly a racist. My only point was that this should not be the main focus if the 'illegal' problem.

If this country is "yours fair and square", then I applaud you...the real focus here should be on those whose country this "is", as opposed to those whose country this is NOT.....and the fact that a lot of people have come here trying to blur that distinction.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:17 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,048,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
You seem to think that being anti-illegal immigration equates with being anti-immigration and nothing could be further from the truth. I admire those who respect the laws of this country and choose to follow them when emigrating to America. I have zero respect for those who do not.
I do not equate anti illegal immigration with anti immigration. I understand the difference. As a matter of fact, I am past learning the definition of each. I am now at...How does this affect my community, my state and my country?

I believe whole heartedly that it would really devastate our economy even more than it already is. I have done so much reading and reasearch, I have reached the conclusion that it would be far more costly to deport than it would be to legalize them. I thank God our president understands this. I will post another thread to show how in addition to cutting off 12 million, their contributions through business, taxes etc, can really hinder our economy. All you need to do is look at the number of ordinances that are a potential law suite and the many that will see this as JACK POT! Our politicians are listening and I believe they are trying to save our country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration