Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 01:16 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,046,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Read Culture of Critique View Post
Yes, and those of us who are true Latins (Central European Alpinids) are tired of the word being hijacked.

This is Latin:

http://www.students.sbc.edu/smith04/Octavian%202.jpg
That word has evolved. It was not hijacked.

If you look at the RAE (Real Academy of Spain) you will find the denition there extending to America.

Quote:
7. adj. Natural de los pueblos de Europa y América en que se hablan lenguas derivadas del latín.

Means: Natural of the towns of Europe and America in which languages are spoken derived from latin.

Diccionario de la lengua española - Vigésima segunda edición
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 01:23 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,046,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarpunk View Post
CNN is being balanced by presenting "Latino in America" and Lou Dobbs..

It's insulting to suggest that Illegal Aliens represent the Latino community as a whole.. Isn't that the "generalization" that many alleged "immigration rights" activists are trying to get away from?

On that note, it sounds like Mr. Lovarto is attempting to stir up racism with his rhetoric.. Would Mr. Lovarto be equally outraged at what happened to the Bolonga family of San Francisco in which 3 members were killed by an Illegal Alien?
CNN is not being fair and balanced. A documentary of "Latino in America" is not extremist views. Lou Dobbs IS an extremist who has often made generalizations and untrue statements about Latinos as a whole and not just "illegal immigrants". He contributes to the problem when there is a growing number of hate crimes in this country against Latinos in general, regardless of legal status.

Would Lovato be outraged over the family killed by an illegal immigrant, if there was no justice served for the family, I'm sure he would. That murder needs to be behind bars. It would also be hurting the cause.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:49 AM

76 posts, read 146,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
CNN is not being fair and balanced. A documentary of "Latino in America" is not extremist views. Lou Dobbs IS an extremist who has often made generalizations and untrue statements about Latinos as a whole and not just "illegal immigrants". He contributes to the problem when there is a growing number of hate crimes in this country against Latinos in general, regardless of legal status.
Is he being an extremist in the desire to see illegal immigration stop? How about attacking the movement to stop the E-Verify system? How about when he wants all the work visa abusers to go back home?

When has he said racist or hateful things against Hispanics? I watch his show often. I am not a racist at all. If he was opening hateful or racist I would not watch his show. I never see his saying racist stuff ever.

All he complains about is the fact that illegals are creating more problems than they help solve. He like most of Americans want illegal immigration to end. He is just standing up for America. He is standing up for us citizens and all the legal immigrants that are following the law. You act as if he is some leader of a white supremacist group. Which is just plain crazy.

Stop illegal immigration. Protect America first.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:27 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,567,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueseas123 View Post
Uhhh...Not ALL Latinos are indigenous Indian Mexicans. Latino is an ETHNICITY. And not all Latinos are illegal immigrants. Can we like sticky this at the top of the forum? Perhaps post a banner? This seems like the most obvious knowledge to even a person of below average intelligence.
This is precisely what we have been trying to get through the thick skulls of those who repeatedly try to depict Latinos as being a “brown race.” Latino is NOT a race -- nor is illegal alien a race. Yet, all opposition to illegal immigration is portrayed as being racially motivated simply because the majority of illegal aliens are Hispanic.

Certainly not all, but MOST who oppose illegal immigration, are opposing lawlessness and the problems inherent in having millions of foreigners living in this country in violation of our laws, and abusing U.S. taxpayers -- while simultaneously shaking one hand to DEMAND legalization, and using the other hand to give us the finger. We are fed up because this massive invasion continues unabated, despite our laws and the will of the people. We have simply had enough.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:10 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,142,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Will somebody tell the loony liberals that being anti- illegal immigration does not equal hate speech, or being a racist, or anti-latino? The liberals sure are doing their damnest to stamp out diverse ideas and opinions that oppose their view, which is rather anti-American if you ask me.

How come these moonbats never complain about the rabid anti-Americanism being promoted in Mexico, where most illegal aliens hail from? Do we really want these third-world anti-Americans leeching off of this country getting free education, health services, all at tax-payer's expense? And sending most of the money they make under the table back to their "homeland"?

I fail to see how it's wrong for any country to make it a priority take care of its own people and legal immigrants, rather than carrying non-tax paying freeloading illegal immigrants on its back. If it were Americans invading Mexico illegally and demanding that Mexico accommodate them, liberals would be screaming bloody murder.

Save America and deport all illegal aliens. Don't start with the idiotic "but Europeans stole this land from Indians" b.s. ******* argument. Ascribing modern mores to an ancient people where conquering new worlds was as noble an idea as modern man conquering the moon makes absolutely no logical sense. If we do that then let's just go back a couple thousand more years and send everybody back to where they originally came from: Africa. There. End of everybody's problems.
As you stated. That same argument can be applied to many Hispanics as well in Mexico and especially Argentina (97% White).

Old 10-22-2009, 07:18 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,142,387 times
Quote:
Latinos can be from Latin America, from Spain, from Italy, etc. It has nothing to do with any particular race. They can be Caucasian, Black or indigenous or mixed.
Flip side: there are quite a few somewhat famous Anglos with Spanish names and/or Hispanic parents as well.

Lawrie Sanchez; the English (actually Northern Irish) soccer coach, father was from Ecuador.
Felipe Fernandez-Armesto; also English who is a professor, his dad hailed from Spain.
Geri Halliwell; English too, the former Spice Girl..........mother is a Spaniard (Hidalgo).
Jose Gonzalez; Swedish musician, parents are Argentines.

I could list many others but one catches my point.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:20 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,322,917 times
Quote:

Would Lovato be outraged over the family killed by an illegal immigrant, if there was no justice served for the family, I'm sure he would. That murder needs to be behind bars. It would also be hurting the cause.
Please share with us the exact statements that you claim that Dobbs has made that generalize and make untrue statements of Latinos as a whole. We will be waiting. Links to those statements would be nice also.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:29 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,140,085 times
Default I hate Lou Dobbs!

Just wanted to say that. I'm a former liberal, now progressive but I think this guy's show is disgusting.

Imagine a generation raised on Lou Dobbs, they wouldn't be personally accountable for anything, yet would feel justified bashing everything as if their opinion is a good one.

That's a major ugly side of the modern media and internet, because it empowers people with uneducated opinions to talk as if they know. The big issues of the world are very, very, very complicated, loaded with nuance, gray areas, and aspects that are counter intuitive. The average citizen cannot have an accurate opinion about them, and remember: no data is better than bad data.

I have more respect for Glen Beck and Rush Limbaugh than Lou Dobbs. Alas, he has found his niche, the easy but powerless chair of the Independant.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:09 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,503,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
This is precisely what we have been trying to get through the thick skulls of those who repeatedly try to depict Latinos as being a “brown race.” Latino is NOT a race -- nor is illegal alien a race. Yet, all opposition to illegal immigration is portrayed as being racially motivated simply because the majority of illegal aliens are Hispanic.

Certainly not all, but MOST who oppose illegal immigration, are opposing lawlessness and the problems inherent in having millions of foreigners living in this country in violation of our laws, and abusing U.S. taxpayers -- while simultaneously shaking one hand to DEMAND legalization, and using the other hand to give us the finger. We are fed up because this massive invasion continues unabated, despite our laws and the will of the people. We have simply had enough.
Benicar I know in my heart you care about America and illegal-immigration is a definite problem.

But because the majority of illegals are hispanics and most of those are Mexican, it is ok to target them solely? I don't get that about this forum or Lou Dobbs. Lou Dobbs and most of you here on this forum seem to just not want Illegals from Mexico, when you target just them.

I would like to hear how you plan to secure our country from the 200,000+ blue eyed blonde haired white Euro's that are here illegally. Why don't we ever hear about that? Or how about Arabs? Armenians....etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan777 View Post
Wrong. Lou Dobbs is against ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION. There is a major difference between legal immigrants and legal ones. He has never once spoken against legal immagration. In fact, he is favor of it as he knows it is what built America. So be pro-legal immigration. Be anti-illegal immigration.

Moderator cut: link removed, completely off topic
Lou Dobbs, I cannot believe how this pseudo-journalist can get away with his openly racist comments and provocations. If he really cared about illegal immigration (not just from Mexico) then why doesn't he cover the whole thing? Why just from Mexico? Seems like discrimination to me.

Let us not forget that Lou Dobbs also is a major propaganda pusher of AZTLAN back in 2006 before the recession proved that all to be wrong.

He is a FEAR PUSHER! There was never any hostile takeover or new age reconquistadors! Which also unfairly slandered Mexican and Hispanic people as invaders...he has propogated racism all over the country based on his pseudo journalism.

Last edited by Mach50; 10-22-2009 at 08:30 AM..

Old 10-22-2009, 09:06 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,322,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Benicar I know in my heart you care about America and illegal-immigration is a definite problem.

But because the majority of illegals are hispanics and most of those are Mexican, it is ok to target them solely? I don't get that about this forum or Lou Dobbs. Lou Dobbs and most of you here on this forum seem to just not want Illegals from Mexico, when you target just them.

I would like to hear how you plan to secure our country from the 200,000+ blue eyed blonde haired white Euro's that are here illegally. Why don't we ever hear about that? Or how about Arabs? Armenians....etc.

Lou Dobbs, I cannot believe how this pseudo-journalist can get away with his openly racist comments and provocations. If he really cared about illegal immigration (not just from Mexico) then why doesn't he cover the whole thing? Why just from Mexico? Seems like discrimination to me.

Let us not forget that Lou Dobbs also is a major propaganda pusher of AZTLAN back in 2006 before the recession proved that all to be wrong.

He is a FEAR PUSHER! There was never any hostile takeover or new age reconquistadors! Which also unfairly slandered Mexican and Hispanic people as invaders...he has propogated racism all over the country based on his pseudo journalism.
How many times do we have to explain it to you apologists for illegal aliens? It is about the numbers!!!!! It isn't that we are ok with blonde, haired blue eyed illegals but when you compare 200,000 of them to 12 million who are mostly from south of our border they are only going to naturally take most of the heat. You just twist that to mean that we only oppose their presence here. Funny how it is only Hispanic citizens who twist that into a racist agenda. I say those who do are the racist ones because they are advocating for the illegal presence of their own ethnic kind in this country.

There is a reconquista movement in this country by some Chicanos. Don't try to deny it! No one is saying that it is on a grand scale but even though in small numbers now their numbers could continue to grow and that is a real threat to our country. What do you think they will be teaching their own kids? Do you think they have no influence over some other Hispanics who believe we stole their land from them? Come on, debate with honesty here.

Latinos are not being targeted by law enforcement just for immigration violations. Only when they or any other individuals (whites, blacks, asians) are questioned in regards to other infractions of our laws do they find out if they are in country illegally or not. They are not targeted!!!!! Your side really needs to stop the lies you are spreading and if you are a U.S. citzen you should be standing up for the rule of law not some illegal law breakers just because they happen share common blood lines with you. Your tribal mentality makes you the racists, not us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration