Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 08:20 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,567,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
NEW YORK - CNN is airing a four-hour special on Latinos in America this week that ignores its own commentator Lou Dobbs, whose persistent advocacy against illegal immigration has angered many Hispanics. This week's special has left many Latinos with mixed feelings: proud that CNN talks about issues important to them but disappointed the network isn't addressing Dobbs' position head-on.

"Lou Dobbs is the gigantic anti-immigration elephant in the room at CNN," said Roberto Lovato, who is helping to organize the petition drive. "Rather than address him, they decided to just avoid the issue."

The documentary does discuss immigration and discrimination issues, most notably in the story of an illegal immigrant from Mexico killed by white high school students in Shenandoah, Pa., allegedly because of his ethnicity.
CNN's Latino special avoids Lou Dobbs - Press-Telegram
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 08:57 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,503,523 times
I agree with what Melissa Morales said in the article:

Quote:
Melissa Morales, a Stanford University graduate who was born in the United States but grew up mostly in the Mexican border town of Juarez, said she's pleased CNN is airing the documentary and hopes as many people as possible will watch it.

But Morales, who works at a nonprofit group promoting emerging women leaders, said CNN is trying to have it both ways by airing a nuanced view of the Latino community at the same time it provides a nightly platform for Dobbs.

"Lou Dobbs creates a venomous atmosphere for all immigrants, particularly Latinos," she said. "His sources are questionable at best, unquestionably racist at worst."
I am glad CNN is being called out on this one, however, CNN will retort they are being "balanced" by offering both sides.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:25 AM

807 posts, read 1,303,275 times
CNN is being balanced by presenting "Latino in America" and Lou Dobbs..

It's insulting to suggest that Illegal Aliens represent the Latino community as a whole.. Isn't that the "generalization" that many alleged "immigration rights" activists are trying to get away from?

On that note, it sounds like Mr. Lovarto is attempting to stir up racism with his rhetoric.. Would Mr. Lovarto be equally outraged at what happened to the Bolonga family of San Francisco in which 3 members were killed by an Illegal Alien?

Old 10-21-2009, 09:52 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,567,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarpunk View Post
CNN is being balanced by presenting "Latino in America" and Lou Dobbs..

It's insulting to suggest that Illegal Aliens represent the Latino community as a whole.. Isn't that the "generalization" that many alleged "immigration rights" activists are trying to get away from?

On that note, it sounds like Mr. Lovarto is attempting to stir up racism with his rhetoric.. Would Mr. Lovarto be equally outraged at what happened to the Bolonga family of San Francisco in which 3 members were killed by an Illegal Alien?
Excellent points!

Old 10-21-2009, 11:14 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,651,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I agree with what Melissa Morales said in the article:

I am glad CNN is being called out on this one, however, CNN will retort they are being "balanced" by offering both sides.
I don't think CNN is very balanced. One show (Dobbs) against the other 23 hours of airtime isn't balanced. There should be more Dobbs-like programming to make it truly 'balanced'.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I don't think CNN is very balanced. One show (Dobbs) against the other 23 hours of airtime isn't balanced. There should be more Dobbs-like programming to make it truly 'balanced'.
You want balance? Quit watching TV, especially the Media.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:10 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,651,291 times
Quote:
Well, do you consider one hour out of 24 balanced?

Old 10-21-2009, 12:16 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
You probably don't want to visit a border City then, heck don't even think about living in one because this will give you a first hand experience living with them. And last but not least don't interview and Citizens in Cities like Escondido. I'm talking Citizens that have lived there a long time and have had to watch their own neighborhoods crumble to the horde of poor Illegal Immigrants looking for a better life. Their "better life" has taken a lot of the good life out of existing residents in these Cities.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:37 PM

257 posts, read 407,861 times
I can't believe how White-looking many of the "Latinos" are on this show. Most don't look like that in real life. It really shows how they are trying to Americanize illegal aliens.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZKay1 View Post
I can't believe how White-looking many of the "Latinos" are on this show. Most don't look like that in real life. It really shows how they are trying to Americanize illegal aliens.
I think many Latinos are indeed white, I am Irish and Mexican.

Do you try to get to know any Latin middle class families? Or do you just see the Mexicans doing labor which are from the poorer, more Indian ancestry? (Assuming you are from California).

I thought the show was more about "legals" not "illegals" too, but I am not watching it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration