Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2009, 10:49 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,567,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Illegal immigrants in Longview say they know they aren't always welcome. But they are here, and they say they aren't leaving.

Social services providers arranged for the News-Journal to interview a handful of undocumented workers in Longview. In exchange for candid comments about why they are here and other issues, the News-Journal agreed not to use their real names and conducted interviews away from their homes and jobs.

"I came here for the American dream, make a couple of money and go back to my country. But the problem, Mexico had a lot of violence. We were waiting just a while, but I choose to stay here."

Until they are legalized, he said, he and other illegal immigrants will continue to live outside of view of the U.S. government.

They might be invisible, but they are not going away.

"You've got a lot of ghosts," he said, "and it's like a cancer because it's growing and growing and growing."
'Ghosts' among us: Illegal immigrants in Longview say they're here to stay (http://www.news-journal.com/services/content/news/stories/2009/10/25/10252009_immigrants.html?cxtype=ynews_rss - broken link)

Does anyone else find it interesting that the reporter chose a “social services provider” to select illegals for interviews? Don’t we keep hearing that they don’t receive tax-funded benefits?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 11:10 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,142,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
'Ghosts' among us: Illegal immigrants in Longview say they're here to stay (http://www.news-journal.com/services/content/news/stories/2009/10/25/10252009_immigrants.html?cxtype=ynews_rss - broken link)

Does anyone else find it interesting that the reporter chose a “social services provider” to select illegals for interviews? Don’t we keep hearing that they don’t receive tax-funded benefits?
It is high time for the USA to receive some 'chemotherapy' to eradicate the cancer (illegal aliens) very soon----------or at least, detain 'em in camps similar to Australia prior to being deported.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:15 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,479,181 times
We also are continually regaled with stories of all the great contributions to US society that they make. It seems to me that instead of being compared to ghosts, they should be compared to vampires.

Quote:
"You've got a lot of ghosts," he said, "and it's like a cancer because it's growing and growing and growing."

More poverty, less education for illegal immigrants

- Adult unauthorized immigrants are more likely to be poorly educated. Among unauthorized immigrants ages 25 to 64, 47 percent have less than a high school education. By contrast, only 8 percent of U.S.-born residents ages 25 to 64 have not graduated from high school.

- Among unauthorized immigrants ages 18 to 24 who have graduated from high school, half (49 percent) are in college or have attended college. The comparable figure for U.S.-born residents is 71 percent.

- The 2007 median household income of unauthorized immigrants was $36,000, well below the $50,000 median household income for U.S.-born residents. In contrast to other immigrants, undocumented immigrants do not attain markedly higher incomes the longer they live in the United States.

- A third of the children of unauthorized immigrants and a fifth of adult unauthorized immigrants live in poverty. This is nearly double the poverty rate for children of U.S.-born parents (18 percent) or for U.S.-born adults (10 percent).

- More than half of adult unauthorized immigrants (59 percent) had no health insurance during all of 2007. Among their children, nearly half of those who are unauthorized immigrants (45 percent) were uninsured and 25 percent of those who were born in the U.S. were uninsured.

Source: "A Portrait of Unauthorized Immigrants in the United States," released April 2009 by the Pew Hispanic Center

Old 10-25-2009, 12:06 PM

Interesting that instead of 'undocumented', the Pew Hispanic Center are using the word unauthorized--------which is a barely veiled way of saying illegal. It is as if the Pew folks are seeing the writing on the wall and are starting to throw the (mostly Hispanic) illegal aliens under the bus to save their own political skins.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:42 PM

807 posts, read 1,303,275 times
Time for someone to call "GHOSTBUSTERS"

Old 10-25-2009, 01:23 PM

163 posts, read 240,952 times
Quote:
"I came here for the American dream, make a couple of money and go back to my country."
That right there is a big part of the problem of the illegals (OH NOES...AN ETHNIC SLUR!!!!! ), absolutely NO allegiance to America just a "take what I can get and then go back to my wonderful motherland" mentality. A motherland that they had to flee from because IT doesn't care about THEM.

Their arrogance will be their downfall.

Old 10-25-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimy View Post
That right there is a big part of the problem of the illegals (OH NOES...AN ETHNIC SLUR!!!!! ), absolutely NO allegiance to America just a "take what I can get and then go back to my wonderful motherland" mentality. A motherland that they had to flee from because IT doesn't care about THEM.

Their arrogance will be their downfall.
The 'tipping point' for those insolent losers (most of whom are probably societal rejects in their own nations) was May 2006 duirng those illegal 'immigrants rights' marches.

Old 10-25-2009, 03:07 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,069,940 times
They can say they are here to stay, until forcefully removed like a tick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration