Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 06:12 PM

2,245 posts, read 4,233,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
DALLAS — Dallas police Chief David Kunkle issued a public apology Friday after learning that a rookie officer issued a ticket to a motorist because she couldn't speak English.
Quote:
In addition for being cited for the U-turn violation, Mondragon received another ticket for being a "non-English speaking driver."
Top cop apologizes for 'no-English' ticket | Latest News | WFAA.com (http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/wfaa/latestnews/stories/wfaa091023_wz_noenglishfolo.24568a6e8.html# - broken link)

If she cannot speak the language, she cannot interpret certain roadsigns (http://static.open.salon.com/files/r...1237209356.jpg), communicate with other drivers, etc. She is excessively dangerous and the police office acted appropriately in issuing a ticket.

Old 10-25-2009, 06:29 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,668,019 times
the police DID NOT act appropriately.

she was breaking no such law.

thats like getting a ticket for changing your radio dial when changing your radio dial is not against the law.

if you feel it should be a law then right a letter.
change the law. then you can ticket all you want. till then, it is stupid to think this cop acted appropriately and within the law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Read Culture of Critique View Post
Top cop apologizes for 'no-English' ticket | Latest News | WFAA.com (http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/wfaa/latestnews/stories/wfaa091023_wz_noenglishfolo.24568a6e8.html# - broken link)

If she cannot speak the language, she cannot interpret certain roadsigns (http://static.open.salon.com/files/r...1237209356.jpg), communicate with other drivers, etc. She is excessively dangerous and the police office acted appropriately in issuing a ticket.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:07 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
the police DID NOT act appropriately.

she was breaking no such law.

thats like getting a ticket for changing your radio dial when changing your radio dial is not against the law.

if you feel it should be a law then right a letter.
change the law. then you can ticket all you want. till then, it is stupid to think this cop acted appropriately and within the law.
This woman made an illegal u-turn and could not produce her driver's license upon request; she did not have it with her, a violation of state law.

The rookie cop was incorrect in citing her for being a non-English speaking driver but if she had been driving a taxi or a semi, he would have been in the right. If you are a rookie that necessarily means that you may not be familiar with all of the laws, which is why you are closely supervised by a more experienced police officer (who should have stepped in and prevented the "non-English speaking" citation from being issued).

In a PC move the city dismissed her other violations, which I think is outrageous. It sends the message to a certain segment of the population that all you have to do to get out of your properly-issued citations is to cry racism.

I think it is high time in Texas to require some degree of English proficiency before you can get a license here. It is ridiculous to expect every public servant to learn Spanish.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:45 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,308,274 times
My big question is always how are these people even passing the written part of the DMV test when they can read or write in ENglish? I can't see Canada giving me a drivers license when I cannot read the signs that are in French

Old 10-25-2009, 10:26 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,142,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
My big question is always how are these people even passing the written part of the DMV test when they can read or write in ENglish? I can't see Canada giving me a drivers license when I cannot read the signs that are in French
Most of Canada is English, not French (Quebec only). Some Francophones have problems in Alberta, etc. due to the signage being in English only.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:34 PM

411 posts, read 468,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Read Culture of Critique View Post

Oh lord, so you claim that if I travel to France or Germany I should not drive, I've done without any problems....

Old 10-26-2009, 01:04 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,233,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latin King View Post
Oh lord, so you claim that if I travel to France or Germany I should not drive, I've done without any problems....
Not if you cannot read the corresponding languages. In the name of safety, people need to be able to read roadside signs.

No speaky English? No drivey car.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:44 AM

98 posts, read 99,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
That's what I wonder as well.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:56 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,651,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latin King View Post
Well, the last time I drove in Europe I had to apply for an international drivers license. I suppose that way if I was stopped for anything the police would know I was just visiting and not did necessarily understand the language (although so many traffic signs are non-verbal there).

If this person is actually living here in the USA (not a tourist) without understanding the language, then that's a different story. Everyone who lives and drives here should be able to read road signs.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:00 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,142,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Well, the last time I drove in Europe I had to apply for an international drivers license. I suppose that way if I was stopped for anything the police would know I was just visiting and not did necessarily understand the language (although so many traffic signs are non-verbal there).

If this person is actually living here in the USA (not a tourist) without understanding the language, then that's a different story. Everyone who lives and drives here should be able to read road signs.
And of course; a 'stop' sign today in virtually all of Europe looks just like ours-----------including the English word STOP not words like pare, alto, halt, arret, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration