Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 10:17 PM

416 posts, read 2,510,869 times

Advertisements

How is the hype about anti-immigration - okay illegal mexicans going to effect our children?

My son, who is half Mexican, is constantly being tormented by his white peers.

Sure, it's not right for Mexicans to enter illegally but why can't you get mad at the companies who hire them? Also, we should respect other countries and cultures. The last thing the US needs is another enemy with our mistake with the US led war on Iraq.

In our history it was whites against blacks. Now it's whites against Mexicans.

Mexicans are not animals, they have little children who are impacted. And this is impacting Mexican americans and how society is reacting and treating with our lack of intolerance.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:25 PM

259 posts, read 939,383 times
Quote:
Well I think there are alot more White students in the public school system that are being tormented by their Mexican peers!

Quote:
Our history shows that Blacks have been against Whites too! Ya know! And Mexican Indians are against whites more often than Whites are against them!

Last edited by Dee62; 05-09-2007 at 10:35 PM..

Old 05-09-2007, 10:31 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,085,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_singlemother View Post
How is the hype about anti-immigration - okay illegal mexicans going to effect our children?

Sure, it's not right for Mexicans to enter illegally but why can't you get mad at the companies who hire them? Also, we should respect other countries and cultures. The last thing the US needs is another enemy with our mistake with the US led war on Iraq.

Mexicans are not animals, they have little children who are impacted. And this is impacting Mexican americans and how society is reacting and treating with our lack of intolerance.
1. As a parent, they know what the risks are when they came over. The same defense could be said about any criminal that has a children.

2. I am mad at the companies who hire illegals.

3. What we need is for people to respect the laws of America, and the culture of America, not the other way around.

4. When you post things like, "it was whites against blacks, now its whites against Mexicans," it shows the ignorance and victimization in your mind. You seem to equate whites as being evil, bad people.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:35 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,456,952 times
Quote:

Of course Mexicans are not animals. They are human beings and so are there children. They can have them~right in their own country where they belong. If they are not legal American citizens, they shouldn't be here. And there's no trivializing the fact that "Sure they shouldn't enter illegally".

The blame also goes to the cheapskates who hire them, but no matter how you spin it, they are the ones who are sneaking across the borders and it's time for them to go home.

Also, this is not a race issue. I don't believe that any of us have a problem with LEGAL Hispanics. They're the ones with integrity who do things the right way from the start instead of sneaking through the fence.

Old 05-10-2007, 01:24 AM

2,433 posts, read 6,679,904 times
Quote:

You can't twist this into a white vs. hispanic issue. Illegal aliens steal jobs from poor americans of all races. It's a criminal illegal aliens vs. poor americans of all races issue.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:51 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,455,280 times
Quite frankly, as a black American I am getting sick and tired of the illegal immigrants situation being compared what my ancesters and relatives suffered under slavery and Jim Crow. Apples and oranges people!

Last edited by yayoi; 05-10-2007 at 07:16 AM..

Old 05-10-2007, 04:57 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,933,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Quite frankly, as a black American I am getting sick and tired of the illegal immigrants situation being compared what my ancesters and relatives suffered under slavery and Jim Crow. Apples and oranges people!
Amen to that! I'm not black, but if I were I would be enraged at the comparisons of illegal immigrants and what black Americans suffered.

Old 05-14-2007, 06:05 AM

430 posts, read 1,394,679 times
There is dislike of illegals, and than there is just plain dislike of Latinos, or Mexicans in particular. They are NOT the same thing, But they do get conflated frequently, becuase lets face it, immigration laws, and alarm with those who ignore them, are of course in large part cultural issues, and culture often gets conflated with race or ethnic background in situations like this. And yes I am well aware there is a lot more to it than that, -especially the economic impact they have on our own working class, including ME.

Being angry about illegal immigration it self is NOT racist and is quite justified, in my book.

However. -The whole illegal immigration situation is also providing an excuse and cover for a lot of people who really ARE racist bigots to spew hatred towards all or most Latinos regardless of legal standing or personal character under the guise of being anti-illegal-immigration. And a lot of these people claim they are not racist, and are only apposed to illegal immigration. But they ARE racist in reality, and it is quite clear from the way they talk.

Unfortunately, a lot of people are conflating Hispanics with illegals. Yes, most (about three fourths) of illegals are Hispanic, but they come from many other parts of the world too. There are a lot of chinese illegals in San Francisco and Seattle, but people don't seem too concerned about that. And, most Hispanics in the U.S. are not illegal, -and they most of them DO assimilate, or at least strongly acculturate, over the first couple of generations here. But with illegal immigrants from anywhere, who stay illegal, this not so likely to happen and you are likely to wind up with an underclass instead.

Contrary to popular myth, most European immigrants to the U.S. 100 years ago DID NOT assimilate in the first generation, but their children, or at least grandchildren, did. And this is still the case with LEGAL immigration since 1965, including from Latin America.

Indirectly, the whole issue of immigration is largely about cultural conflict and is thus inherently xenophobic. Like I mentioned in another post, nation states are by there very nature xenophobic in terms of culture to at least some degree. They have to be for their survival. But to what degree varies widely, and depends on many factors. But countries DO NOT have to be racist.

This issue, which should be about the rule of law and national security, and the economic impact of this mass movement of people, -is instead turning into a largely racial/ethnic conflict instead, do to bigots on BOTH sides of the conflict. This issue, if not resolved threatens to tare this country apart along not only ethnic but also along socioeconomic lines, given the widely divergent class impacts of mass immigration on native born U.S. citizens of any race.

Old 05-14-2007, 06:26 AM

124 posts, read 91,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtallredhead View Post
Contrary to popular myth, most European immigrants to the U.S. 100 years ago DID NOT assimilate in the first generation, but their children, or at least grandchildren, did. And this is still the case with LEGAL immigration since 1965, including from Latin America.
I totally agree with this. Look at the diamond district in New York City, where Hasidics and Orthodox Jews certainly have not assimilated into the "norms" of society. Or go to some areas of New Jersey, North Boston, or The Hill in St. Louis, where you will find some people who still only speak Italian. Or Chinatown in Los Angeles, or San Francisco, etc? How about Lancaster County, PA? Nobody rails against the Amish for not assimilating. Or parts of Louisiana where Cajun French is still spoken and people practice voodoo?

So, the notion that everyone has always assimilated prior to Latinos is inaccurate. We still have many, many different cultures and languages. Just because everyone is the same in bland suburbia does not mean that it is that way throughout the whole country. We still have dynamic, energetic, diverse cities in this country.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:56 AM

430 posts, read 1,394,679 times
Well a lot of the suburbs are quite diverse now actually. But many are still not, Evan within the same region. -Just like different parts of the country.

I do think that illegal immigration, and TO MUCH cultural diversity, will likely destroy this country if left unchecked, like it did with the Roman empire. Our imperialism is the real problem and in our case it goes hand in hand with our growing diversity, just like it did with the Romans.

There is nothing wrong with diversity per say, up to a point. But it is occurring for the all wrong reasons, -class animosity (against our long standing native working class), addiction to cheap labor, and imperialistic greed, which helps to create the terrible situations from which so many migrants to the U.S., both legal and illegal, fee from.

And wile SOME diversity is a good thing, Evan a fairly large amount in my book, TO MUCH diversity of culture just leads to conflict, reduced sense of community, lack of trust, and social isolation=more crime and social decay, which we've been seeing plenty too of in the U.S. much of for some time now.

No this is not simply do to immigration, not Evan mostly, but it is a contributor, but both are really just a symptom of a much larger disease, -global corporate fascism. -And this affects the whole country, not just the high immigrant regions, by way of large scale out-migration and displacement of our native born working/lower class (out of immigrant heavy regions).

I do not condone racism under any guise, and recognize it is widespread among many complaining about "illegals" who really just hate Latinos (or Latino culture if not all Latinos as individuals, this is more common) in general.

but I also completely disagree with the logic of the open borders pro mass immigration advocates. And I am sick of their bigotry against the U.S. native born working class of long standing (NOT just whites), and how they accuse people who want the borders controlled and are opposed to a mass "gust worker" (like they will actually go home when their time is up-ha!) program or more legal immigration as being racist. They are so wrong, -Evan the majority of U.S. born LATINOS agree with me, they know first hand how this situation makes their relations with White and Black Americans a LOT more difficult.
But the ones who feel just the opposite and are hostile to the U.S. get almost all the mainstream media publicity. - If these people get their way, it will mean the death of this country, just like it has with EVERY other country that did the same sort of thing in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration