Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 07:44 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times

Advertisements

Republican or democrat, it will always be, business as usual in California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 07:46 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,322,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
As I have been saying all along, we cannot deport ALL illegal immigrants. We dont have the resources. Even if we cut all benefits, they would still be here as long as they have a job. It was proven in the other thread I provided. Those are the facts...its not about the benefits but about WORK.

I'm sure she is not in favor of legalizing those that are unemployed.

Im already loving this woman. Secure our borders...YES!

Path to legalization needed, GOP candidate Whitman says - SignOnSanDiego.com

If it is not practical to deport them, what other solutions do you find to illegal immigration? FYI- cutting benefits is clearly not factor for reverse immigration. What other options do we have?
That isn't what most of us advocate. Yes, it is the jobs! Implement e-verify across the board and there won't be any jobs for them and they will self-deport. There is one other problem though. Those with anchors may not self-deport because they can collect welfare for them and live off of that. Jobs and birthright citizenship need to be addressed and those two things would fix illegal immigration.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:49 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,567,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
That isn't what most of us advocate. Yes, it is the jobs! Implement e-verify across the board and there won't be any jobs for them and they will self-deport. There is one other problem though. Those with anchors may not self-deport because they can collect welfare for them and live off of that. Jobs and birthright citizenship need to be addressed and those two things would fix illegal immigration.
In a heartbeat.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:05 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,641,953 times
Whitman sounds like she is in the pocket of businesses that employ the scabs. She certainly is not representing American workers!

Can they all be deported? No. But if a majority of them are that would be a start to improve wages, free up federal monies that are now being spent on foreign nationals. Win/win I say.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:02 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,227,263 times
Actually the line " We can't afford to deport all 12.5 million illegals" is nothing more than a lame excuse to not take corrective measures and risk offending certain voting groups.
We need only enforce current laws, hold those who employ illegals accountable, hold those who knowingly rent to illegals accountable, and those who knowingly facilitate illegals accountable and illegals will gradually self deport..
However like many things its easier to make excuses for not doing their jobs instead of actually doing the job.
This is many years in the making. Securing our borders is another area where our elected officials from both parties have failed us. Lame excuse after lame excuse does not change the fact that our elected reps have simply turned a blind eye to a very real problem.
They divert and redirect attention else where depending upon our notorious short term memories to escape accountability.
The fact is solutions abound. They are painful but none the less available.
jail employers of illegals and pound them with fines. Make using illegal labor to expensive and to high a risk to make it even worth contemplating. This would include all offenders such as home owners using illegals for yard chores.
Same penalties for landlords, and legal family members who harbor illegals.
Take away the safe havens and the jobs and illegals will self deport.
Illegals should be seperated from any of their ill begotten assets. This to help offset the cost of their deportation.
Take away the rewards and they will self deport.
Yes it is painful and it is harsh. But lets face the facts 12.5 million is extreme and requires extreme measures.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:30 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
They don't know if it can be done or not or if it is practical or not because they've made no attempt at all.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:38 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,227,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
They don't know if it can be done or not or if it is practical or not because they've made no attempt at all.
Exactly....
Brings to mind a story from my youth.
I grew up on my Uncles dairy Farm. We had just finished plowing and it was time to pick stone. Well these fields were nothing but stone to my young eye. I said we'll never get this done. This after about 10 minutes in a hot dusty field. My Uncle said son " Its the eyes that are afraid but the hands that can do"
The moral of the story is simple. With hard work and a little patients just about anything can be done. But if you never even try nothing will get done.

Old 10-31-2009, 03:13 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,641,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Exactly....
Brings to mind a story from my youth.
I grew up on my Uncles dairy Farm. We had just finished plowing and it was time to pick stone. Well these fields were nothing but stone to my young eye. I said we'll never get this done. This after about 10 minutes in a hot dusty field. My Uncle said son " Its the eyes that are afraid but the hands that can do"
The moral of the story is simple. With hard work and a little patients just about anything can be done. But if you never even try nothing will get done.
What?! You were working in a field doing manual labor as a child? But I thought that is work only illegal immigrants can/will do!

Old 10-31-2009, 03:22 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
What?! You were working in a field doing manual labor as a child? But I thought that is work only illegal immigrants can/will do!
I grew up on a farm throwing bales and hoing beans. It is not THAT bad of work. You keep in shape too.

Old 10-31-2009, 03:37 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,751,609 times
Hmmm...this is a completely bifurcated stance from the one that she presented a week and a half ago on John and Ken....

Well, she just lost a million or so of the voting public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration