Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 01:51 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,377,717 times

Advertisements

Taken from The healthcare reform bills' handling of abortion and illegal immigrants: lots of smoke, not much fire -- latimes.com

"The bills explicitly prohibit the government from providing insurance subsidies to anyone other than citizens and legal residents. They also call for the government to verify applicants' qualifications by checking their personal income tax returns, a step that would help discourage fraud. The Senate Finance Committee's bill and the Obama administration's proposal would also bar illegal immigrants from buying individual health insurance policies through the new exchange with their own money, which the House bill (H.R. 3962) would allow."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 10:30 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,567,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Taken from The healthcare reform bills' handling of abortion and illegal immigrants: lots of smoke, not much fire -- latimes.com

"The bills explicitly prohibit the government from providing insurance subsidies to anyone other than citizens and legal residents. They also call for the government to verify applicants' qualifications by checking their personal income tax returns, a step that would help discourage fraud. The Senate Finance Committee's bill and the Obama administration's proposal would also bar illegal immigrants from buying individual health insurance policies through the new exchange with their own money, which the House bill (H.R. 3962) would allow."
It isn’t worth the paper it was printed on. Illegal aliens are also “ineligible” to work in this country. How’s that going?

Old 11-11-2009, 03:11 PM

For companies that have strict ID checks during their hiring process, I'd say it's going well, and as long as effective anti-fraud methods are used when verifying the applicants' qualifications by checking their personal tax returns then there shouldn't be too much to worry about.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:23 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,567,467 times
Quote:
For companies that have strict ID checks during their hiring process, I'd say it's going well, and as long as effective anti-fraud methods are used when verifying the applicants' qualifications by checking their personal tax returns then there shouldn't be too much to worry about.
As long as E-Verify remains “voluntary” for companies that are not government contractors; and as long as those companies are only required to “verify” new hires; illegal immigration will continue to flourish. If our government truly wanted to end illegal immigration, it would be a done deal.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:53 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,322,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
As long as E-Verify remains “voluntary” for companies that are not government contractors; and as long as those companies are only required to “verify” new hires; illegal immigration will continue to flourish. If our government truly wanted to end illegal immigration, it would be a done deal.
Agreed! But our government is in the back pockets of big business and the ethnocentric groups that claim that the 99.6% accuracy rate of e-verify just isn't quite enough to justify its usage, we are screwed.

Old 11-11-2009, 04:16 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
This would be quit counter productive for you if you want all of those Illegals to move near you. If they cannot get work because of E-Verify, even if they can abuse social services, they won't be moving there.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:47 PM

277 posts, read 368,716 times
All people can BUY insurance. Come on people. Let them pay. Or would you rather they have emergency room services for free for us to pay in the end. They aren't going anyway. So if they can pay for their insurance, let them. They can buy auto insurance, let them cover their healthcare bill too. This isn't FREE healthcare. That's not what this bill is about. For some reason everyone thinks this is like free healthcare for all like in Europe. No, it's changes to ensure people can afford healthcare. People won't be denied for pre-exisiting conditions. Stop acting like all these people are just going to disappear somehow. Yes, they shouldn't be here...but they are. And most are settled and aren't leaving.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:00 AM

4,027 posts, read 7,292,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Maybe someone will become a hero and save the 45% of us real taxpayers this awful burden of paying for something most of us do not need or want.

The dems are doing the happy dance prematurely, but Obama is pulling strings with OUR stimulus money to those who were looking like they were against it.

Now as far as the illegals, Obama said it would NOT cover them, Pelosi said it would not cover them so they did lie and we need to not allow them to get away with it.

HELL NO TO COVERING CRIMINAL ILLEGALS WITH MY TAXPAYER MONEY.

YouTube - Finding Nemo - Mine Mine Mine

Old 11-12-2009, 05:08 AM

50,316 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John C. H. View Post
All people can BUY insurance. Come on people. Let them pay. Or would you rather they have emergency room services for free for us to pay in the end. They aren't going anyway. So if they can pay for their insurance, let them. They can buy auto insurance, let them cover their healthcare bill too. This isn't FREE healthcare. That's not what this bill is about. For some reason everyone thinks this is like free healthcare for all like in Europe. No, it's changes to ensure people can afford healthcare. People won't be denied for pre-exisiting conditions. Stop acting like all these people are just going to disappear somehow. Yes, they shouldn't be here...but they are. And most are settled and aren't leaving.
They can buy insurance, they shouldn't be able to take advantage of discounted rates from taxes.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
This would be quit counter productive for you if you want all of those Illegals to move near you. If they cannot get work because of E-Verify, even if they can abuse social services, they won't be moving there.
That was more for the sake of argument than anything else, although I do strongly believe that the undocumented population has improved my neighborhood and many others would agree with me.

I don't see the issues as black and white like the regular posters on here. I definitely see illegal immigration as a serious problem and I realize that the current system is completely dysfunctional. I wouldn't call myself pro-illegal, I just think we need to develop a better plan and correctly enforce it. I just don't see most of your solutions as being cost-effective. Enforcing E-verify is a great way to protect Americans companies and American workers, building a huge wall and hiring thousands of border patrol guards to line the borders is NOT cost-effective. Deporting someone 18 times just so they can try to come back the next day is NOT cost-effective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration