Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 10:41 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times

Advertisements

Many people are expecting unemployment extensions to go on indefinitely - and it seems that is the case right now, that the government will just keep on paying people not to work. If or when the day comes that the government cannot provide these unemployment paychecks, many people even in California will have a change of heart.

In some ways the pro-illegal side is right, Americans don't want to work very hard especially if an unemployment check is much bigger than what they can get by working hard but it's not feasible to have 10-30% of the population paid just to exist. The day that the unemployment check doesn't show up - there is going to be hell to pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 11:00 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,931,790 times
Have been a former employer (now retired) and seem to recall that "unemployment" was paid into a fund by the employer and "employees" DO NOT pay into this fund.

At one time a former employee received more from the unemployment fund then what he earned while working for me. After he filed for UI I received a notice that xxx $$$ was charged against my account and thus had to pay more into it. I had to pay in each QTR a percentage of my payroll.

NO...workers DO NOT pay into UI...the employer DOES.

SO...things may have changed over the yrs...nice for the GOVMT to extend the benifits...they are NOT paying it.

Steve

Old 12-05-2009, 11:12 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Many people are expecting unemployment extensions to go on indefinitely - and it seems that is the case right now, that the government will just keep on paying people not to work. If or when the day comes that the government cannot provide these unemployment paychecks, many people even in California will have a change of heart.

In some ways the pro-illegal side is right, Americans don't want to work very hard especially if an unemployment check is much bigger than what they can get by working hard but it's not feasible to have 10-30% of the population paid just to exist. The day that the unemployment check doesn't show up - there is going to be hell to pay.
I have been saying that exact same thing: if there were no unemployment---------I truly feel there will be social unrest and illegal aliens will be the first to catch flak.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:38 AM

124 posts, read 249,840 times
Default the farther we look back the more forward we will see

Theodore Roosevelt's ideas on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN in 1907. 'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.'[/CENTER][/CENTER]

Theodore Roosevelt 1907
Every American citizen needs to read this!

Old 12-05-2009, 12:22 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,539,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Have been a former employer (now retired) and seem to recall that "unemployment" was paid into a fund by the employer and "employees" DO NOT pay into this fund.

At one time a former employee received more from the unemployment fund then what he earned while working for me. After he filed for UI I received a notice that xxx $$$ was charged against my account and thus had to pay more into it. I had to pay in each QTR a percentage of my payroll.

NO...workers DO NOT pay into UI...the employer DOES.

SO...things may have changed over the yrs...nice for the GOVMT to extend the benifits...they are NOT paying it.

Steve
The employers are the ones hiring the illegals. The employers should be paying for extended unemployment since THEY are the ones that created this mess to begin with. I'm not saying ALL employers are responsible, but enough of 'em are. And it sucks that ALL employers are stuck paying for this, but illegals taking our jobs sucks for Americans.
If they want to hire illegals for "pennies" then they should be paying "dollars" to the unemployed

Old 12-05-2009, 08:41 PM

10 posts, read 15,341 times
I wonder what certain countries would do if poor Americans invaded and took jobs. America, home of the free(bie)

Old 12-05-2009, 08:47 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by videoman View Post
I wonder what certain countries would do if poor Americans invaded and took jobs. America, home of the free(bie)
Said nations (including Mexico) would be outraged-----------and, would do something about it.

Fair is fair: I have no sympathy for one of my countrymen being a WB even in Canada if they get caught.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:37 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,426,497 times
Color me confused, but wasn't there already a similar law in place? I just don't understand why we need another law regarding illegal immigration when we have one that the Federal Government isn't even willing to enforce. They keep giving illegals reasons to come (free health care, free education, free money, ability to work, ect) then they will keep coming

Old 12-06-2009, 07:56 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
Color me confused, but wasn't there already a similar law in place? I just don't understand why we need another law regarding illegal immigration when we have one that the Federal Government isn't even willing to enforce. They keep giving illegals reasons to come (free health care, free education, free money, ability to work, ect) then they will keep coming
You are not confused. We have many federal laws prohibiting illegal immigration -- USCIS, IRS, DOL, and DHS. Yet, they are not being enforced. The mere notion that “reforming” immigration laws will magically solve our illegal immigration problem is ludicrous. No law will eradicate illegal immigration if its enforcement is considered to be discriminatory against foreigners by the peddlers (exploiting) and the sheeple (supporting) illegal aliens.

We are the only country in the world vilified for even having immigration laws. After all, this is the USA; we have no culture, we have no borders, and all foreigners, regardless of their immigration status, are entitled to be treated as citizens. Anything less, is simply mean-spirited, racist, xenophobic, and anti-Hispanic.

Welcome to the Twilight Zone, formerly known as the United States.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:06 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
You are not confused. We have many federal laws prohibiting illegal immigration -- USCIS, IRS, DOL, and DHS. Yet, they are not being enforced. The mere notion that “reforming” immigration laws will magically solve our illegal immigration problem is ludicrous. No law will eradicate illegal immigration if its enforcement is considered to be discriminatory against foreigners by the peddlers (exploiting) and the sheeple (supporting) illegal aliens.

We are the only country in the world vilified for even having immigration laws. After all, this is the USA; we have no culture, we have no borders, and all foreigners, regardless of their immigration status, are entitled to be treated as citizens. Anything less, is simply mean-spirited, racist, xenophobic, and anti-Hispanic.

Welcome to the Twilight Zone, formerly known as the United States.
Again you nailed it, Benicar. Truer words were never spoken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration