Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 03:53 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,660,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
This came up on another forum, but it got me thinking. A lot of people move from state to state and go out of their way to avoid things like registering their cars in their new state of residence, getting a new driver's license, changing their address for insurance purposes, etc. Many who move into a state with an income tax from a state like Florida or Texas attempt to avoid income tax by continuing to use a relative's address in the other state (I know this as I've seen it first hand, having worked in a tax compliance state agency before my retirement). The reason given is that they'd have to pay to do any of these things, and they'd rather fly under the radar. Basically, they avoid paying for the privilege of living in that state. Yet, as residents of that state they enjoy all of the benefits that the tax base provides - roads, schools, police and fire protection, etc.

How is this any different from the major complaint people seem to have (whether accurate or not) that illegal aliens come into this country and avoid paying taxes?

Well for one thing the people you cite are still paying federal taxes - illegals do not contribute to either state or federal coffers yet take services from both.

Besides the people you are talking about (while unethical) are still legally entitled to move to wherever they want to within the United States. A more accurate analogy would be if your friends decided to move from Ohio (where they are residents and citizens of the US) to Montreal without permission from Canada to work and live there illegally while not paying taxes of any kind yet availing themselves of the Canadas Health System. Until then, you are comparing apples to oranges in order to excuse criminal behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 03:58 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,422,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Well for one thing the people you cite are still paying federal taxes - illegals do not contribute to either state or federal coffers yet take services from both.
Illegal immigrants that aren't working under the table jobs still get state and federal tax deductions from their paychecks. Many times they end up overpaying since they don't file taxes and, as a result, don't receive a tax refund for paying too much in. There are some that claim a really high number of exemptions to lower or completely eliminate these deductions, but to my knowledge not many do this. They also pay into social security and medicare which are both benefits they'll never see as long as they're undocumented. Once again, there are rare cases when these are awarded to illegal immigrants due to fraud, but the vast majority don't attempt this.

Old 12-09-2009, 04:55 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,199,484 times
Quote:
This came up on another forum, but it got me thinking. A lot of people move from state to state and go out of their way to avoid things like registering their cars in their new state of residence, getting a new driver's license, changing their address for insurance purposes, etc. Many who move into a state with an income tax from a state like Florida or Texas attempt to avoid income tax by continuing to use a relative's address in the other state (I know this as I've seen it first hand, having worked in a tax compliance state agency before my retirement). The reason given is that they'd have to pay to do any of these things, and they'd rather fly under the radar. Basically, they avoid paying for the privilege of living in that state. Yet, as residents of that state they enjoy all of the benefits that the tax base provides - roads, schools, police and fire protection, etc.

How is this any different from the major complaint people seem to have (whether accurate or not) that illegal aliens come into this country and avoid paying taxes?
Two huge differences off the top:

#1: those Americans who try to dodge their taxes as you described still have the right to live here in the---------illegals do not.

#2: said taxes still stay in the USA as a whole (if not income tax, sales tax, property tax, etc) despite some folks playing a shell game.

Old 12-09-2009, 05:11 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,579,590 times
What's the difference whether your 14 year old daughter takes off in your car, runs up a $3,000 debt on your credit card, sideswipes a cop, then wrecks the car....or MY 14-year old daughter takes off in your car, runs up a $3,000 debt on your credit card, sideswipes a cop, then wrecks your car? You're STILL out $3,000 and a car!...I mean, SHEESHH....a teenager is a teenager, right? Let's GROW UP here, people! It's only money, right? And aren't we supposed to give teenagers a little slack? And isn't MY teenager just a good a person as YOURS?...

I can't believe the inhumanity I see on this forum. What's the difference, indeed?

(Next week, we'll discuss the difference between my withdrawing $100 from MY bank account, and my withdrawing $100 from YOUR bank account....in both cases, it's $100...right?)

Old 12-09-2009, 06:16 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,660,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Illegal immigrants that aren't working under the table jobs still get state and federal tax deductions from their paychecks. Many times they end up overpaying since they don't file taxes and, as a result, don't receive a tax refund for paying too much in. There are some that claim a really high number of exemptions to lower or completely eliminate these deductions, but to my knowledge not many do this. They also pay into social security and medicare which are both benefits they'll never see as long as they're undocumented. Once again, there are rare cases when these are awarded to illegal immigrants due to fraud, but the vast majority don't attempt this.

Then those that are not working under the table are using fake SSNs. Somehow identity fraud makes it all better?

Old 12-09-2009, 09:55 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,830,343 times
Quote:

Very different in that you're talking about citizens of the USA and trying to compare them with illegals who have no business being in this country at all.

Just because some American citizens commit fraud and commit crimes does not justify bringing in tens of millions of foreigners to commit crimes here.

Old 12-10-2009, 05:53 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,595,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Then those that are not working under the table are using fake SSNs. Somehow identity fraud makes it all better?
Of course it does. Remember, illegals don’t know any better. They are only trying to work. It’s not their fault our unfair immigration laws have forced them to resort to theft and fraud. Plus, if they don’t realize they stole a “real” identity, they haven’t committed ID theft. They are simply victims of the racist and mean-spirited gringos who stole their land.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:22 AM

50,531 posts, read 47,308,240 times
Quote:
The 11 that never came back after E-verify at my Company all had max deductions taken out. That is 100% of them. Word travels fast in the criminal world.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:45 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,172,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Very different in that you're talking about citizens of the USA and trying to compare them with illegals who have no business being in this country at all.

Just because some American citizens commit fraud and commit crimes does not justify bringing in tens of millions of foreigners to commit crimes here.
I agree that one does not justify the other. And, in fact, I don't believe that most illegals are not paying taxes. As others have said, unless they are being paid under the table (in which case IMO it's the employer who is committing the tax fraud) they have tax withheld from their pay. And they also pay sales taxes, fuel taxes, property taxes, etc., by living here and being consumers like the rest of us.

I appreciate the responses - as I said it was a question that occurred to me from another thread, and it seemed more appropriate to post it here.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:53 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,343,680 times
Quote:
It is against the law not to file your taxes. Oh well, just another law broken by the illegals. What do you think happens when they are using someone else's SS number to work and the real owner of the number files his taxes and the IRS wants to know why they didn't claim all of their income under their number? I already posted a case where illegals used other's SS numbers to gain unemployment and the same thing happened to them. Their refunds were held up for months to straighten that mess out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration