Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the immigration deal?
I'm all for it, see explanation below 4 10.53%
I see problems down the road, see explanation below 3 7.89%
It's better than illegal status, see explanation below 2 5.26%
It sucks, see explanation below 29 76.32%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 08:40 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,762,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn View Post
Sounds like you are getting caught up in the illegal issue because you look Mexican (your words not mine) and I will be honest that if you wanted to do my land scaping that I would not hire you if you if you looked Mexican because I would think that you either used illegal workers or supported them as many Mexican Americans do...And I will not knowingly support an illegal or any company that they work for in any way...
It isn't right to deny someone employment simply because of the way that they look.

There are ways to ensure that you're hiring someone who is legal. Those ways may not be perfect, but that system is better than nothing. You can always ask for proof of legality. To deny someone a job simply because "they look Mexican" is flat out wrong. After all, not all illegal immigrants are from Mexico or south of the border are they?

Many of my friends who are second and third generation legal Mexican Americans would be denied jobs by your standards. For your information, none of the legal persons of Mexican descent that I know support illegal immigration. They did it the legal way and they expect others to do so as well. They don't believe that illegals should get a free ride and feel that it flys in the face of all that is just and right. It is a great insult to those who emigrate legally.

Last edited by Kele; 05-22-2007 at 09:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 08:56 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,444,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn View Post
Sounds like you are getting caught up in the illegal issue because you look Mexican (your words not mine) and I will be honest that if you wanted to do my land scaping that I would not hire you if you if you looked Mexican because I would think that you either used illegal workers or supported them as many Mexican Americans do...And I will not knowingly support an illegal or any company that they work for in any way...
At first, I wanted to agree with you...but, I reconsidered.
Why?
Here is the deal....I am from Germany, I am white, I am an immigrant....you would hire me, right? But, I COULD also be an illegal immigrant, coming from another country, and this is what this thread is all about in the end. ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS...no matter where they are from. That immigration reform bill has to be tailored to ALL nationalities, and not single out hispanics, mex.
So, now what....

Old 05-22-2007, 11:33 PM

642 posts, read 3,076,434 times
Well put. Couldn't agree more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
I voted it sucks! No explanation needed, The United States has just dropped their pants and bend over.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:12 PM

185 posts, read 355,739 times
If this amnesty passes it will be the final nail in the coffin for America, say goodbye.

This group of illegal aliens from south of the border are the most disrespectful, immoral, belligerent and rude bunch I've ever seen in my life! They have a total disregard for higher learning and have no skills. What good can they bring to this country?!

I've always enjoyed experiencing different cultures but after living in Las Vegas for 28 years I am sick to death of all things Hispanic. If legal Hispanics feel discriminated against then they need to get onboard with the program and help stop the invasion.

Old 05-23-2007, 02:44 PM

642 posts, read 3,076,434 times
(My bold emphasis). Excellent point! Oh yeah, so is the nail in the coffin and everything else you mentioned :-).

Although I can't say I am sick of all things Hispanic. I love for instance Santa Barbara's architecture and Mexican food. It is too bad we have had so much of the culture and language shoved down our throats as I used to love to hear Spanish and not have it make my skin crawl at times. It has become a language of exclusion.

[quote=Cribster;762156]If this amnesty passes it will be the final nail in the coffin for America, say goodbye.

This group of illegal aliens from south of the border are the most disrespectful, immoral, belligerent and rude bunch I've ever seen in my life! They have a total disregard for higher learning and have no skills. What good can they bring to this country?!

I've always enjoyed experiencing different cultures but after living in Las Vegas for 28 years I am sick to death of all things Hispanic. If legal Hispanics feel discriminated against then they need to get onboard with the program and help stop the invasion.[/QUOTE]

Old 05-25-2007, 08:46 PM

233 posts, read 440,625 times
Default I'd hazard a guess

I would hazard a guess that those who are for this immigration amnesty program are among the wealthier in income brackets, I've seen their influence first hand years ago in NYC. The neighborhood I grew up in was basically a low to middle income neighborhood in Manhattan made up of mostly european immigrants who worked hard, worshipped in the many neighborhood churchs and were so proud to be able to become "Americans". In the sixties the city decided to make available more low income housing in my neighborhood because the wealthy in other sections began to get a social conscience, they set about forcing thousands of families out of the brownstones they inhabited, the neighborhood resisted and the wealthy got involved yelling about their social programs and equality for everyone, the one thing they sure didn't do was to volunteer to have this complex built around their fancy penthouses on Fifth Avenue, but they did assure that they would have a large pool of domestic labor for themselves, they didn't have to deal with the crime that became a daily thing where the rest of us had to live, a neighborhood died and they just went along their merry way. I think now the wealthy (again in the quise of social programs) have decided that they need inexpensive landscapers and general labor so they are pushing to allow all the illegals to stay, it is soooo easy to get behind programs that aren't really going to effect you personally (other than to provide you with low cost labor), I hazard a guess that your neighborhood won't be over run with people that will change the way you have to live, and your childrens education won't be effected because your kids don't attend any public schools, your kids don't have to worry about gangs and weapons or metal detectors in their academies or boarding schools and if they do manage to get a student in their class who doesn't speak a word of english well, it won't effect your kid because that child would get private tutoring and not slow down the rest of the students, I also hazard a guess that your kid isn't in an overcrowded classroom with a harried teacher trying to maintain some semblence of control in a chaotic atmosphere. Ask the average low to middle income person on the street about this issue and I venture that they will respond that until we help our own poor and sick, and seniors who have spent their lives contributing here at home we have no business crying about anyone else, there are people here who were born and raised here whose lives are much worse than the illegals you are crying about...........get off your can and help them. Go to a weathy neighborhood in your area and I can guarantee that you will hear all sorts of moaning about why we should be responsible for these people, one thing you definitely won't see is any of these illegals living in among them.........again, those wealthier among us.... you want to help.........go to a homeless shelter and offer one of those people your landscaping job, donate groceries to a food bank, help those that need it here at home first, take care of our own problems here before you look to care for others, many of those here with problems have fought in wars for you to insure your freedoms. I have taken people off the street to help and their stories would break your heart.........one worked long and hard for 25 years, had an illness and no insurance and lost everything only to end up on the streets of NYC........until we can assure our own people this won't be an everyday occurance in the USA for it's own citizens how can we justify worrying so much about those from somewhere else who are here illegally.

Last edited by mollies mom; 05-25-2007 at 09:39 PM.. Reason: added content

Old 05-25-2007, 09:25 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,856,631 times
Great post mollies mom!

Old 05-26-2007, 02:39 PM

Thank you Chele123. This is all very close to my heart as I have lived in NYC which is no longer the NYC I grew up in. We truly were priviliged (not monetarily) to grow up there among a very diverse culture as kids and to learn about so many other peoples and their customs, but it is not the same anymore, back then you had a choice.......now it is shoved down your throat and more and more we are harrassed by these people who seek to over run us while always taking but never contributing and trying to inflict their culture on us and change the very face of this country. I also have a soft spot for senior citizens and hate to see them get short changed on programs they might need to take advantage of becuase we are having to foot the bill for illegals who come here with their complete disregard for us or our laws. Our seniors have worked long and hard and many face the prospect of not being able to feed themselves or have a liitle bit of comfort in their old age because of the rising prices.........and no, cheap illegal labor doesn't really translate into lower prices for us, cheap labor just means higher profits for the business owners and large corporations that employ and encourage these illegals. When I left the restaurant world I went to work for a social service agency in NYC as a chef for the seniors in a food program to assure they got at least one meal a day (often the only one they had), the agency also helped the homeless but they depended on city and federal money to help run these programs, and as more and more money has to be diverted to pay the freebies for the illegals where do you think the money comes from? You got it, programs like this one see their budget cut because there just isn't enough to go around. I had a spare bedroom in my apartment so as I got to know some of the clients and felt safe with them I allowed them to stay at my place and helped them get on their feet again. Contrary to what most people think of the homeless up there, they were not druggies, not lazy and not nuts, they were people who had had a bad turn of events in their lives....one had worked for 25 years as a cab driver and had a hospitalized illness and when he couldn't pay his rent or bills he ended up living on the streets, when he could go back to work he couldn't get hired because his clothes were shabby and he had no address. Another was a housewife who had never worked, her husband died suddenly one Christmas and although she found a job at a department store she couldn't afford the rent, she and her son both ended up on the street, living in alleys or on the trains, one watching while the other slept to guard against those that would harm them. These stories are all too common now a days in this country and it is not right. These are contributing members of our country and as I said before many of the seniors have fought for our freedoms, the least we could do is take care of our own before we worry so much about others that have come here illegally. While I don't beleive in any type of civil unrest I do believe we are headed down a dangerous path in this country right now and I think we all need to make our lawmakers realize what we want and make sure they know the consequences of their voting on this issue.........they will not be re-elected.

Old 05-26-2007, 08:19 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,856,631 times
We surely must be sisters, because you have expressed what I think!
The hardest part for me is that just as every word you have said makes perfect sense to me, sounds completely logical and sane, I find people that don't agree. How can so many people be so blind to what is going on? Do they truly not care? How can anyone support this invasion of illegal aliens? Yet some do. It would be different if war had been declared. We could take up arms to defend our country. Instead, we get to just sit here and watch our country be taken away from us, and for what? Why? What has happened??? And HOW do we get the apathetic American to VOTE? I promise you, I will not vote to re-elect anybody that supports illegal alien amnesty in any form.

Old 05-27-2007, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chele123 View Post
We surely must be sisters, because you have expressed what I think!
The hardest part for me is that just as every word you have said makes perfect sense to me, sounds completely logical and sane, I find people that don't agree. How can so many people be so blind to what is going on? Do they truly not care? How can anyone support this invasion of illegal aliens? Yet some do. It would be different if war had been declared. We could take up arms to defend our country. Instead, we get to just sit here and watch our country be taken away from us, and for what? Why? What has happened??? And HOW do we get the apathetic American to VOTE? I promise you, I will not vote to re-elect anybody that supports illegal alien amnesty in any form.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++
Now this is just my personal opinion here, but I think most Americans in my age group (Baby Boomers) remember an America that openly welcomed others from all nations so I think it goes against the grain of what we were taught about helping the underdog and underpriviliged when we hear the cries to get rid of the illegals and supporting deportation for people who came here to get away from the misery they face in their own nations. After all isn't it inscribed on the Statue of Liberty (where I spent many afternoons cutting classes with my friends) about sending us the huddled masses who yearn to be free? Unfortunately that was then and this is now and there are vast differences in the world at this point in time, as I've stated so many times in my posts (I'm sounding more and more like a broken record here) the older generations of immigrants to this country came to become a part of a country they saw as a great nation, they wanted to make a contribution and it was a source of pride to achieve citizenship, I remember so many parties in my old neighborhood when one of them would become a citizen you would have thought they had won a huge cash lottery prize, it was sure a source of pride for them it often overshadowed the birth of their children or the purchase of a home, you often saw them carrying around their "paper" to show anyone who would listen or look, they never once saw this country as a great cash cow that owed them anything and never saw it as their birthright to be here, they maintained for the most part their birth countries traditions at home but never would they have considered forcing those traditions down our throats. The illegals from all nations that we have here now are a very different breed indeed but unless the average American has had up close and personal interaction with them they see all immigrants as they used to be, not as they are now, jumping the border of this country because "they have a RIGHT to and we OWE them something", they don't want to follow the process to get a green card or citizenship, they have no intention of contributing anything but are quick to put their hands out for anything they can force the taxpayers to hand out and most Americans who are generous to those they see as the underdog have a problem turning them away........these people count on that, and we try to be so PC that they know if they start yelling some idiot will sue on their behalf and it will end up costing us anyway so they take it for granted we will give up and go with the flow. Hopefully this time Americans will stand up for what is right, being in this country is NOT the right of anyone who was not born here or come in thru LEGAL channels by doing the work that it entails. By the very nature of them being in this country you already know they don't consider our laws as pertaining to them so are these the kind of people you want to reward with allowing them to remain here, not me. But then again I am known as being a hard A__, ask my middle kid who I had put away because as I told him "no body gets a free ride if you break the law" he hated me then but thanks me now, it was minor kid stuff he was doing but it taught him responsibility for ones actions, I think if we don't deport these that are here illegally we are teaching them a totally different lesson about our system of checks and balances here, they will know the laws don't apply to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration