Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 10:12 AM

114 posts, read 180,454 times

Advertisements

I guarantee they will do background check on these immigrants to persuade the public that they only recruit the best temporary immigrants! Yea right. Wasn't this type of action that eventually paved the way to the collapse of imperial Rome?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/15/us/15immig.html
Immigrants who are permanent residents, with documents commonly known as green cards, have long been eligible to enlist. But the new effort, for the first time since the Vietnam War, will open the armed forces to temporary immigrants if they have lived in the United States for a minimum of two years, according to military officials familiar with the plan.
Recruiters expect that the temporary immigrants will have more education, foreign language skills and professional expertise than many Americans who enlist, helping the military to fill shortages in medical care, language interpretation and field intelligence analysis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 11:25 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,286,896 times
So this means the military will actually follow through with this promise now?

Old 02-15-2009, 12:14 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
I'm not sure why this is particularly shocking. Foreign citizens have a long history in the US Military. In MY day (the Viet Nam war), there were many Filipinos in the US Navy. They were recruited in the Phillippines, trained in the US, and agreed to serve one four-year enlistment in shipboard stewards' duties. Having done that, they gained US citizenship. They were then free to become U.S. 'civilians'..OR could remain in the Navy as stewards..OR could change their 'specialty' and serve in other capacities in the Navy until retirement.

Other than this 'special arrangement' with Filipinos, MANY resident aliens served in the military, for almost all of our history. Not sure why this is now "news"..(?)

Old 02-15-2009, 01:39 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,286,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I'm not sure why this is particularly shocking. Foreign citizens have a long history in the US Military. In MY day (the Viet Nam war), there were many Filipinos in the US Navy. They were recruited in the Phillippines, trained in the US, and agreed to serve one four-year enlistment in shipboard stewards' duties. Having done that, they gained US citizenship. They were then free to become U.S. 'civilians'..OR could remain in the Navy as stewards..OR could change their 'specialty' and serve in other capacities in the Navy until retirement.

Other than this 'special arrangement' with Filipinos, MANY resident aliens served in the military, for almost all of our history. Not sure why this is now "news"..(?)
I was thinking the same thing, about illegal aliens or temporary residents, Filipino and even Mexicans(!!) having been serving in the military for many many years.

Promises of citizenship and societal acceptance have been used by recruiters for a long time.
This is news to me, because it sounds like that promise is more official now.
I expect this news coming out to result in a boost of enlistments.

Old 02-15-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
I was thinking the same thing, about illegal aliens or temporary residents, Filipino and even Mexicans(!!) having been serving in the military for many many years.

Promises of citizenship and societal acceptance have been used by recruiters for a long time.
This is news to me, because it sounds like that promise is more official now.
I expect this news coming out to result in a boost of enlistments.
Interesting subject. The famous "French Foreign Legion"...probably one of the 'toughest' outfits ANYWHERE....traditionally contained ONLY foreigners among its enlisted ranks. French citizens were not accepted (I'm sure the officers, at SOME level, must have been French)...

Old 02-15-2009, 03:29 PM

2,075 posts, read 2,138,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Interesting subject. The famous "French Foreign Legion"...probably one of the 'toughest' outfits ANYWHERE....traditionally contained ONLY foreigners among its enlisted ranks. French citizens were not accepted (I'm sure the officers, at SOME level, must have been French)...
That sounds like a good and fair deal for both sides to me. Proves your loyallty to the country and gives you a paycheck (& job traning). I can admire anyone willing to become a citizen that way. Could be a good way to solve part of the illegal alien problem as well.

Old 02-15-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwebbster View Post
That sounds like a good and fair deal for both sides to me. Proves your loyallty to the country and gives you a paycheck (& job traning). I can admire anyone willing to become a citizen that way. Could be a good way to solve part of the illegal alien problem as well.
The possible 'down side' of this is that if your defense comes to depend increasingly on non-enfranchised foreigners, at some point they may turn against the 'employer'..that nation who has 'hired' them, but whose citizenship they don't share. The French, of course, have a 'regular' military. The Foreign Legion is extra.

One of the reasons (apparently) that the huge Roman Empire eventually disintegrated is that the Romans got 'fat and lazy'. The point was reached at which affluent young Romans no longer had any interest in joining the military, and the Roman military became heavily made up of hired foreigners. When things got rough, and it began to "hit the fan", these 'hired helpers' weren't interested in dying for Rome, and eventually they turned against their 'bosses'.

Old 02-15-2009, 04:56 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
that was a while back. but all the cops and soldiers are names gomez rodriguez, mendoza now.
this is nothing new.
wana know why? go look on the couch.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,312 times
I agree that they should let ilegal immigrants into the military but mostly those who came here with visa that way they can be more encouraged to come here llegaly and not sneak in trough U.S borders. Also, many immigrants have been living here for almost their whole entire life ( same as me 10 years living) maybe they should get a chance to also fight since arn't they part of the U.S culture as much now as before? I doubt if they go back to there country they can live normal lives since the way of life is comepletly different.

One more thing; it's true what huckleberry3911948 says, a lot of americans ( not saying anything bad at all) have become lazy and not fighting or doing much for there country just as some military personal say.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:01 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by castano View Post
I agree that they should let ilegal immigrants into the military but mostly those who came here with visa that way they can be more encouraged to come here llegaly and not sneak in trough U.S borders. Also, many immigrants have been living here for almost their whole entire life ( same as me 10 years living) maybe they should get a chance to also fight since arn't they part of the U.S culture as much now as before? I doubt if they go back to there country they can live normal lives since the way of life is comepletly different.

One more thing; it's true what huckleberry3911948 says, a lot of americans ( not saying anything bad at all) have become lazy and not fighting or doing much for there country just as some military personal say.
In one word: hell no!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration