Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2009, 03:15 PM

50,294 posts, read 47,056,299 times

Advertisements

Group sues to block illegal immigrants from getting in-state tuition | Monday Education | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 12:41 AM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,916 times
That's craaaazy. I was in college in Ohio and I wanted to remain at that university badly, but the out of state tuition was killing me and my family. So, I had been there attending for two years already and working for the university as a student-worker. I applied to get in-state tuition and the obviously denied my requests because I wasn't there for a year straight (as school let out in the summer), I had to return home and not complete my degree at Ohio State because I just couldn't afford to continue to take out loans. I did transfer to the university back home, but I really wanted to continue at Ohio State.

So, I'm thinking, if Ohio becomes a state to pass one of these laws to permit illegal immigrants to pay instate tuition, is that basically saying that someone who isn't even legally supposed to be here can get something that, I, a legal citizen, naturally born and raised in the U.S. can't even get? How is that respecting and taking care of a US national before catering to someone from another country that isn't even here legally? That's not what this country is rooted on or is about. What happened to patriotism? They want us to be loyal to our country in times of war or whenever they want our vote, but when it comes to illegal immigration, they slap us in the face and turn their back on us.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:14 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,061,457 times
I didn't know some states had such laws, especially Texas

I think they should just get rid of all state tuition for everybody including Americans. Get a loan or a scholarship if you want to go to college so badly.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:32 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
From the article:
Texas is one of 10 states in the nation that have laws offering in-state tuition to illegal immigrants who meet certain criteria, including graduating from a local high school and pledging to legalize their immigration status as soon as possible.

In the lawsuit, the plaintiffs allege that at least 8,000 illegal immigrants attend Texas colleges and universities at discounted tuition rates for in-state residents or receive some form of state financial aid, saying the statute violates federal law.

And just who is keeping track of these 8,000 illegals to make sure they meet their 'pledge'? Did Texas set up a 'task force' to do this? How are they paid? With taxpayer money?

Another waste of dollars, coddling the illegals..

Old 12-19-2009, 09:15 AM

50,294 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
I didn't know some states had such laws, especially Texas

I think they should just get rid of all state tuition for everybody including Americans. Get a loan or a scholarship if you want to go to college so badly.
I partially agree with you but in some States your taxes cover it so I'm all for those tax payers benefitting from it. I'm not ok with illegal trespassers "just showing up" and benefitting from something they've never paid into.

Here in CA if we got a major reduction in taxes I'd be all for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration