Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 01:06 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,435,824 times

Advertisements

Republican congressman Charlie Norwood of Georgia's ninth district has called La Raza a "radical...pro-illegal immigration lobbying organization that supports racist groups."

As a Mexican citizen who has been around the forums long enough to be aware of both sides of the situation, this is a description I can agree with, but I want to clarify that most people who live and work in Mexico and has never had the intentions of living in the USA, much less illegally, ignore completely that an organization called la raza exists, and much less what are it's goal, objectives, etc this is a an American based organization created by people who live in the USA. And backed up by American corporations who defend their own interests.

What it is interesting though is the following part of the article.

Unknown to many is the financial support La Raza receives from donors like Wal-Mart, Exxon Mobil, McDonalds, and hundreds of other corporations. In more civilized times, these donations would be considered treason. But many of these corporations support La Raza for two reasons: they have bought into the religion of political correctness, and they want cheap labor. (Subsequently, I have not set foot in a Wal-Mart for over six years because of their support for La Raza—not to mention the fact Wal-Mart imports most of its goods from China and practices crony (tax-payer subsidized) capitalism.)

Making an objective and honest point of view, I believe that organizations like this are more detrimental than beneficial to the people that supposedly they protect by the following reasons.

1 This kind of organizations just divide and polarize people, instead of generating sympathy or understandment between both parties in conflict, they produce rejection and indignation among those who are opposed and fear illegal immigration, and also give the people who feel "protected" by these kind of organizations the false sensation of support which creates the entitlement attitude that many people rejects, I said false sensation of support because if these organizations are funded by corporations who benefit from illegal labor they are just pretending to support this people but if they were really legalized they would loose their gold mine. that takes us to point 2

2 If these organizations are backed by these corporations and exist because of them, because we all know that without money their existence and influence wouldn't be possible, it is obvious that their views and objectives are influenced by their donors, whose objectives are to preserve the status quo at all costs, I believe this is perverse because these are American companies, who were able to grow and thrive in America and they should at least show some love for their country of origin, I'm not gonna condone those who leave the country seeking a better life, but I believe that the actions of these companies are much worse because it is because of them, that this issue reached a boiling point, these companies are the ones who influence the politicians to do pretty much their bidding.

3 I also believe that one of the most negative aspects of this kind of organizations is that they confuse and misinformate people about the concepts they supposedly represent, I doubt many founders and members of La Raza know what this term actually means and where did it come from, if they did I'm sure their organization would have another name, because they are supposedly against "europeans" and on favor of "natives" if they only knew...

La Raza is a concept that was created in Spain, in Spain and the countries that were once part of the spanish empire, colombus day is known as El dia de la hispanidad (Day of hispanity) or as el Dia de la raza, Dia de la raza is prefered on latinamerican countries while Dia de la hispanidad is used in Spain, in spanish speaking countries this date is viewed as the birth of a culture and a race that came out of the mixture of two worlds and this is what gave origin to the hispanic "race"

This denomination was created by the spanish ex-deputy Faustino Rodriguez San Pedro, when he was President of the Ibero-american union, which in 1913 thought about a celebration that united Spain and Iberoamerica, choosing the date of october 12th for the celebration.

How something that was supposedly a common bond between the spanish speaking countries and a festivity thought to unite the spanish speaking world became the name of an American organization that "protects" immigrants is beyond me.

The truth is that most Mexico's culture, language, traditions come from a blend of Spanish and Ancestral traditions, but Spaniards wouldn't have been able to conquer the Mexicas if they didn't have the support of tribes that were opressed by them, Modern Mexico has much more in common with Spain than it has with what was the Mexica empire.

That was the Mexica's area of influence, not all regions of Mexico were ruled by them, modern Mexico wouldn't have been possible if Spaniards didn't come here but Also it was thanks to the Viceroyalty of the New Spain (Modern Mexico) that spain became such a powerful empire on it's time, both worlds gave much to each other and this is what is celebrated on the La Raza day and this is what La Raza means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 02:24 PM

21 posts, read 26,558 times
To Traveling fella,

Thank You for the Intelligent Comment

I agree that Our American Corporations are trying to make a modern slave labor force as well. I have no respect for these and other Corporations.
I have never entered a Walmart.

Old 01-16-2010, 04:05 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,559,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
I understand why you are disgusted with the organization. You dont like the political issues they support. However, when one is convinced of something is because they have reliable information. First, I have never read any information that states there is a relationship between NCLR and Mexico. If you have it, please share it. These types of comments are exactly what makes me think that people are so uneducated concerning Mexico and American organizations. If you want to educate yourself about it, you should first know that Mexicans (in Mexico) do not think they are the same as Mexican Americans. Its kind of like the relationship you find between African Americans and Africans with the exception that Mexican Americans (many) do have Mexican parents.
Please see Travelling fella’s post #11.

Additionally, please view the following video, and notice the location of the speaker (former president of Mexico). Also notice a current executive of La Raza (NCLR) formerly worked for the Mexican government.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8mT3X9WKkI

Executive Committee
Chair

Daniel R. Ortega, Roush, McCracken, Guerrero, Miller and Ortega, Phoenix, AZ

Vice Chair

Herminio Martínez, Bronx Institute, Bronx, NY

Secretary

Maria Pesqueira, Mujeres Latinas en Acción, Chicago, IL

Treasurer

Anselmo Villarreal, La Casa de Esperanza, Inc., Waukesha, WI

President and CEO

Janet Murguía, National Council of La Raza, Washington, DC
National Council of La Raza: About NCLR: Governance: Board of Directors (http://www.nclr.org/section/about/board/board_of_directors/ - broken link)

Anselmo began his career in the federal government of México, the country of his birth and college education.
La Casa de Esperanza, Inc

Old 01-16-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA-ahn View Post
To Traveling fella,

Thank You for the Intelligent Comment

I agree that Our American Corporations are trying to make a modern slave labor force as well. I have no respect for these and other Corporations.
I have never entered a Walmart.
Ditto!

Old 01-16-2010, 04:42 PM

I have to clarify though that I wouldn't take president Zedillo's opinion as valid because he was the last president of the Revolutionary regime, the dictatorship that lasted for 71 years, Fox who came after him was the first democratically elected president of the country. Before him, Mexican citizens didn't have much of a say in the direction of the country. And not that we do now, if you ask the big majority of the citizens of this country, those who pay taxes, live here, work here and have a life commitment to this country, we don't feel represented by our government or believe they are doing a good job, most Americans feel betrayed by their government for not being able to get serious about solving illegal immigration and for the government weaknesses against the powerful lobbies that defend their interests in detriment of the citizens welfare. Something similar happens in Mexico, where those lobbies and the groups who earned unfair privileges during the revolutionary regime have more power and influence over the government than the average citizens, many of us are resented and disappointed with the government, a lot of people is even disappointed with democracy and believe it's only a simulation, we blame the government and the lobbies for the current situation of anemic economic growth, which could be easily solved if the needed reforms were voted by congressmen, the unfair privileges some groups like the education syndicate have were removed, children would enjoy quality education which is the root problem of the "culture of ilegality" (without education how are you going to know what's right and wrong), and if monopolies were dismantled or at least regulated so some real competence could grow. If these knots that tie Mexico's economic performance would be untied, GDP's growth could be around 5% annualy or higher, while this won't solve the illegal immigration issue overnight by simple math, 10 years of sustained growth at rates of 5% means a 50% growth, 100% growth in 20 years and 200% growth in 40 which means that in 40 years of sustained growth Mexico's economy would be 4 times it's current size. But beause of all these knots mexico's growth has been around 1% - 2% annually for 20 years or so.

Zedillo represented the interests of those who supported this one party regime by the privileges they obtained in exchange for their loyalty on detriment of Mexico's citizens who weren't loyal to the regime. This regime finally crumbled after the Mexican economy suffered it's most brutal crisis in the past century, precisely because of the privileged based system which became unsustainable.

I also have to say that this system that hasn't entirely disappeared, is also responsible for the culture of entitlement a lot of people in these forums complain about, because that's how things worked (and still do to certain exent) in Mexico, in order to get votes people were given "freebies" these freebies had a hidden cost though which crumbled Mexico's lifestandards and created thousands of poors and would be migrants, although we can't deny the blame the "freebies" and "hopes" given to these people in the USA by the government and organizations.

The crisis is also known in Spanish as el error de diciembreThe December Mistake — a term coined by the then ex-president Carlos Salinas de Gortari. While these critics agree that a devaluation was necessary, they argue that the way it was handled was politically incorrect (although economically coherent). While the crisis took place under President Ernesto Zedillo, the causes are usually attributed to the policy actions and inactions of Carlos Salinas de Gortari's outgoing administration. Carlos Salinas de Gortari popularized the term "December Mistake" when he referred to Zedillo's sudden reversal of the former administrative policies of tight currency controls, "a mistake." The Salinas de Gortari's currency policy put a strain on the nation's finances.

As in prior election cycles, a pre-election disposition to stimulate the economy, temporarily and unsustainably, led to post-election economic instability. There were concerns about the level and quality of credit extended by banks during the preceding low-interest rate period, as well as the standards for extending credit.

1994_economic_crisis_in_Mexico

This was what triggered democracy in Mexico, because after economic collapse, public pressure became unbearable and Ernesto Zedillo had no other chance but to give into the pressure, instead of stealing the elections like it happened before.

The problem was that Fox was voted in not because he was a capable or prepared man, but because it represented the only chance of real democratic alternance in the country, Fox was a lousy leader and a terrible diplomat, he lacked common sense and did tremendous harm to the foreign relationships of the country because of his lack of preparation, his trigger happy mouth, etc. But we can't blame him entirely he wanted to start those much needed reforms but was blocked by his rivals (PRI and PRD) this is the root cause of Mexico's current situation political parties bet more on the rival's failure than on the country's success, this is to be expected though of a country that has lived under dictatorships since it was born, you had the Mexica empire in prehispanic times who ruled with an iron fist, then you had the Spanish Empire, then you had the Mexican empire I and II, then Porfiriato came where Porfirio Diaz ruled for 30 years straight, this was what triggered the Mexican Revolution, which was supposedly going to "liberate the country" but instead of that the group who "won" the revolution created a regime that lasted for 71 years they could last for so long because they used Mexico's abundant natural resources to buy consciousness and loyalties, until it finally "crumbled" when Fox won (between quotes because much of the system is still alive) but on the bright side, as democracy matures, this system has been slowly dismantled, one thing that is triggering this change is that Mexico's abundant oil supplies that were able to finance the system are dwindling and rival parties know that they either make the needed reforms or we'll face economic collapse like in the not so distant past.

Because of this, even though Americans tradtionally haven't minded much what's happening outside their borders, should be very aware of what will happen in the Mexican congress in these months, specially those concerned with illegal immigration, because if the reforms are voted (Specially the fiscal reform) this will put Mexico on the right track of sustained economic growth. Like I said before this won't end the migratory tensions overnight, but it will set the course for a better future. I created a thread on the Mexico forum regarding this reform, articles will be translated and information will be updated frequently for those interesed.

//www.city-data.com/forum/mexic...l#post12477226

I also hope his provides an explanation on why overnight solutions won't work, we already had a revolution 100 years ago and it didn't help, the slow, difficult, painful and uncertain progression into a modern democratic society has yielded more results.

As a final clarification I'll add that even if this Anselmo Villarreal states that he worked for the federal Mexican government, this means that it was during Mexico's past regime which was illegitimate, and it's clear that he isn't representing Mexico's best interests or has any love or concern about the country otherwise why would he live in the USA and work for la raza?

Last edited by Travelling fella; 01-16-2010 at 05:35 PM..

Old 01-16-2010, 05:17 PM

Point taken. However, he was a speaker at the conference, so I can only infer that he was invited by the leadership of La Raza. Moreover, his sentiments have been repeated by Fox.

I would also question the motives of La Raza to appoint Anselmo Villarreal to an executive position, given his association with the former regime. Who knows, perhaps he was a defector.

Old 01-16-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Point taken. However, he was a speaker at the conference, so I can only infer that he was invited by the leadership of La Raza. Moreover, his sentiments have been repeated by Fox.

I would also question the motives of La Raza to appoint Anselmo Villarreal to an executive position, given his association with the former regime. Who knows, perhaps he was a defector.
Yes, like I repeated Fox's was a man who lacked common sense or true leadership, even though I disagree with Calderon on many things I believe he's doing a better job so far, than Fox did. hopefully the much needed reforms will pass this time. Calderon has been more able to convince the congress than Fox was so far, the only thing that Fox was good at, was to unite people against him for his trigger happy declarations.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:47 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,197,803 times
I truely believe the southwest will have a "Sudetenland" situation in the years to come.:-(

Old 01-19-2010, 02:07 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,044,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
I truely believe the southwest will have a "Sudetenland" situation in the years to come.:-(
Completely false. It will never happen. Mexicans are not interested in the land.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:23 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,044,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Please see Travelling fella’s post #11.

Additionally, please view the following video, and notice the location of the speaker (former president of Mexico). Also notice a current executive of La Raza (NCLR) formerly worked for the Mexican government.

Treasurer

Anselmo Villarreal, La Casa de Esperanza, Inc., Waukesha, WI

President and CEO

Janet Murguía, National Council of La Raza, Washington, DC
National Council of La Raza: About NCLR: Governance: Board of Directors (http://www.nclr.org/section/about/board/board_of_directors/ - broken link)

Anselmo began his career in the federal government of México, the country of his birth and college education.
La Casa de Esperanza, Inc
I wasnt aware that Anselmo Villarreal worked for "El PRI". That however, does not mean that NCLR is a terrorist organization as the OP stated in the title. Or that the NCLR receives funding from the Mexican government. In Mexico, if you have the money, you can get a visa and come here to live and work. No biggie... I dont think that has anything to do with the government. Especially considering he worked for "El PRI" and our government (Mexico), has steered away from that political party.

Travelling Fella, my friend, knows that I have a lot of respect for him, his wisdom and knowledge concerning Mexico. However, he made a good point and that is that Mexicans in Mexico are not even aware of the existance of such organizations. TF's knowledge concerning the NCLR is very limited and he has made the same mistake that most of you antis have made by confusing the NCLR with the LRUP. I do realize that here in this forum, it is convenient to make that mistake to further your agenda against the issues of immigration. Though I personally do wish Janet would step down, I do realize that the NCLR serves a purpose and if things continue the way they have, we will need it for a long time to come.

BTW, the reason Zedillo was invited to speak on the recent change of dual citizenship that both countries had agreed on. Thanks to that, I am a citizen of Mexico as well. I dont think they were there to plan any terrorist attacks on the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration