Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 05:12 AM

1,150 posts, read 1,178,963 times

Advertisements

<<If I lived close to a border, I would be smart enough to expect some overlap of culture...>>

An overlap of cukture is one thing. Being overtaken by it is something else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 06:56 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
Thats not true. I have a problem with anyone being profiled simply based on skin color, hair do, clothing, whatever.
I am OK with profiling based of appearance; it is called probable cause. I used to get profiled whenever I boarded an airplane due to my resembling a radical environmentalist (I am not, BTW) with a beard, tiedyed shirt, jeans, knapsack, etc............oh well. Since I have nothing to hide-------go for it

Old 01-22-2010, 07:20 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Quote:
I have no idea what story you are referring to. I am talking about when driving down the highway a trooper sees a pickup truck with 3 mexican guys in it and decides to stop them because maybe they are illegal, no other reason. Just where I live black people get stopped for driving nice cars or on I95 around baltimore where 75% of traffic stops were of people of color...Does not make sense when they make up 18% of the population does it?
Let me put it to you this way. If there were 20 million white people in this country illegally as a white person I would have absolutely no problem being stopped or questioned about my status in this country even numerous times. I look at it this way. I don't mind a little inconvenience if it means helping LE get lawbreakers off the streets. Sorry that American Latinos don't feel likewise. It is all for the greater good and safety of our country as whole. It wouldn't be just about me and I wouldn't make it a white racial profiling issue.

Of course I don't have a tribal mentality and my interests are in the national interests. I wouldn't harbor or apologize for white people in this country illegally either.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:50 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,434,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Let me put it to you this way. If there were 20 million white people in this country illegally as a white person I would have absolutely no problem being stopped or questioned about my status in this country even numerous times. I look at it this way. I don't mind a little inconvenience if it means helping LE get lawbreakers off the streets. Sorry that American Latinos don't feel likewise. It is all for the greater good and safety of our country as whole. It wouldn't be just about me and I wouldn't make it a white racial profiling issue.

Of course I don't have a tribal mentality and my interests are in the national interests. I wouldn't harbor or apologize for white people in this country illegally either.
Lack of cooperation is what makes a person look suspicious or guilty.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:16 AM

2,087 posts, read 1,766,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot77 View Post
Does "people of color" have the same meaning as "colored people", the outdated phrase for black people?

no it means black people, mexican people, puerto rican people, haitian people, dominican people...................

Old 01-22-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I am OK with profiling based of appearance; it is called probable cause. I used to get profiled whenever I boarded an airplane due to my resembling a radical environmentalist (I am not, BTW) with a beard, tiedyed shirt, jeans, knapsack, etc............oh well. Since I have nothing to hide-------go for it

yep just give your rights away. there you go. good american.

thank you sir may i have another.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:19 AM

Quote:

another american giving up rights. which one will they take from you next?

Old 01-22-2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:
You must be too guilty to cooperate,

Old 01-22-2010, 09:50 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Quote:
What rights would I be giving up? We would be giving up a lot more rights if we as citizens didn't help LE take lawbreakers off the streets. I don't feel that being asked a few questions that will help our entire country is giving up my rights. Hell, I have to answer questions under many other circumstances. What is the difference?

Last edited by chicagonut; 01-22-2010 at 10:14 AM..

Old 01-22-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
What rights would I giving up? We would be giving up a lot more rights if we as citizens didn't help LE take lawbreakers off the streets. I don't feel that being asked a few questions that will help our entire country is giving up my rights. Hell, I have to answer questions in many other circumstances. What is the difference?
He/It's just trying to provoke an argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration