Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 04:54 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,060,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
BTW, wasn’t your previous argument that only “citizens” can sponsor, not legal residents?
No it wasn't. Is it really that hard to scroll up? Let me quote myself:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
Really If you are only a Legal resident you can only request your unmarried children & your own spouse, and US Citizens have to be over 21 to request his/her parents. I'm not sure where you guys are getting this information that an 18 year old can request his parents.

It's there in the information you posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 04:54 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,560,802 times
Quote:
Nice. We went from "we have so many hispanics because once anchors turned 18 they requested their parents, grandparents, uncles, cousins" to a "proposed" amendment to the amnesty bill that is NOT a law yet and can be changed at any second.
Actually, they don’t need to sponsor. They can simply continue to come here illegally. But if amnesty is passed, we will in fact have an additional 60-80 million extended family members joining their newly amnestied family.

However, there will be no amnesty, so I probably shouldn’t have even mentioned it. Pardon me.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:56 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Quote:
Someone asked me how the can request a family member. On the right hand side of the link I posted there is a link for the forms and associated fees. Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative

Here's the link again
USCIS - Immigration through a Family Member
That someone was me. Thank you Princess..

Old 02-03-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
No it wasn't. Is it really that hard to scroll up? Let me quote myself:
I stand corrected. It was L&P I was referencing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latino & Proud View Post
you have to be a citizen to request your parents, not legal resident. and you can't request your cousins or uncles or grandparents

Old 02-03-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
However, there will be no amnesty, so I probably shouldn’t have even mentioned it. Pardon me.
Well the initial post was about amnesty. I was disagreeing with the statements that claimed anchors had requested their parents in the past when they turned 18. That is just incorrect information. They can't.

The laws are not as bad as you guys claim them to be. It's really difficult to bring family members here(I'm talking legally). I know of someone who requested their siblings and it took about 14 years to be approved. My understanding is that for Mexico the waiting time is much longer(too many petitions). These people had totally forgotten about the sponsor request and yes they are coming, they are like 25 people in total

Old 02-03-2010, 05:20 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
<<Pelosi is fighting for her (political) life IMHO. She will throw the pro amnesty types under the bus to save her own skin. Ruben Navarette; ths columnist, is fast switching sides as well.>>

So is Luis Gutierrez. He's conceding that now is probably 'not the right time' for a comprehensive immigration bill. These people have pandered to the Hispanics hoping to gain their votes, but they all know the majority of voters are against amnesty, so they're trying to clean up their act before the election.

Don't trust them though. Remember the old Native American saying about speaking with a forked tongue.

She is fighting to save her own skin. I do remember the old Native American speaking with a forked tongue.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Well the initial post was about amnesty. I was disagreeing with the statements that claimed anchors had requested their parents in the past when they turned 18. That is just incorrect information. They can't.

The laws are not as bad as you guys claim them to be. It's really difficult to bring family members here(I'm talking legally). I know of someone who requested their siblings and it took about 14 years to be approved. My understanding is that for Mexico the waiting time is much longer(too many petitions). These people had totally forgotten about the sponsor request and yes they are coming, they are like 25 people in total
That many from one sponsor! In that case, we would have at least an additional 400 million family members joining them if amnesty is passed. I was estimating 2 or 3 per illegal, not 25. That's more than our total population.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:30 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Quote:

Better to eliminate 'chain migration' off the top---------immediate minor age children and/or spouse only.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
That many from one sponsor! In that case, we would have at least an additional 400 million family members joining them if amnesty is passed. I was estimating 2 or 3 per illegal, not 25. That's more than our total population.
Well remember there are quotas. That's the reason why it's taking so many years for those petitions to get approved, and petitions for Mexicans take even longer. These 25 or so people did wait in their country all these years. I'm sure if for whatever reason they can't make it here, they will go back but they are actually hard working, college educated people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration