Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 05:25 PM

50,405 posts, read 47,145,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
1. ICE estimated the costs to being roughly $100 billion to singularly deport every illegal immigrant in this nation. Seeing how illegal immigrants comprise a significant percentage of certain industries (construction, agriculture, and textile to name a few) it is almost certain the economic impact would be great, esp. on already ailing industries such as construction. It is estimated that $90 billion is collected in an 8 year period of time (in federal taxes alone). Many lower income communities stand to lose a significant amount of money simply due to loss of sales tax revenue. Though there is a net burden for the average middle income American, the poor stand to actually lose. The effect on these communities could be devestating. Another Postville, Iowa (high uneployment, increased reliance on social services, and a lowering of wages) could occur.

Not to mention that the children of illegal immigrants typically do better educationally and economically thus, we would lose on that source of revenue as well.

2. So was the war in Iraq when it was initially proposed. So was President Bush immediately following 9/11. Popularity doesn't always equate to good policy.

3. Also, if we decide to institute policies that would be too draconian and reflect the situation. Illegal immigration is here to stay. It is our responsible to find means to accomodate this market in order to decrease illegal immigration while benefiting our nation.
Wow, if Illegal Aliens are such a money maker for Nations why aren't we fighting Mexico and other Nations over who gets to keep the most? It stands to reason that if they are so "valuable" that Nations would be fighting over them.

Instead it seems like a global "hot potato" over who gets "stuck" with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 07:27 PM

1,213 posts, read 1,633,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
As has already been brought up, it costs nothing for them to self-deport. Anyone who thinks that the majority wouldn't do so with e-verify in place isn't deaing in reality or it is just wishful thinking on their part. We can deal with a small black market of illegals working under the table compared to the majority of them remaining here and taking American jobs and sucking our taxes and resources dry. Let's see, even if only half of them would self-deport, that would decrease our illegal alien population by half, would it not? The choice seems pretty clear to me.

As for those vacated jobs with a 10% plus unemployment rate I don't see an issue of them not being filled by Americans and for those that would not we can import LEGAL immigrants to fill them.
With 6 republicans and a whopping 202 left wing amnesty progressive democrats in Congress resisting all efforts to fight illegal immigration we'll have to wait for the Nov elections for an expected substantial number of left wing amnesty progressive democratic politicians to be kicked to the curb before we can get any movement on efforts to fight illegal immigration such as passing mandatory e-verification, increased border security, better enforcement of existing immigration laws, passing stricter tough on illegals laws/passing stricter tough on the criminal employers of illegals laws, movement on reinterpreting the misinterpretation of the 14th amendment, stepped up deportations, especially of pregnant illegal alien women to end the anchor baby abuse, proof of legal status to receive any welfare benefits, readdressing absurd chain migration policy, going to a merit system of choosing just who would be the best immigrants for the US, and basically adopting a scorched earth policy against illegals forcing illegals to leave, one way or the other, self-deportation or forced deportation. We wonder why we can't get anything done about illegal immigration except just enough enforcement to say that something was done but yet never enough done to be effective? How about 202 current left wing amnesty progressive democratic politician reasons?

Old 02-06-2010, 01:19 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,912,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Wow, if Illegal Aliens are such a money maker for Nations why aren't we fighting Mexico and other Nations over who gets to keep the most? It stands to reason that if they are so "valuable" that Nations would be fighting over them.

Instead it seems like a global "hot potato" over who gets "stuck" with them.
Part of it is due to ignorance of the actual costs. Part of it is hyper-nationalism. Note, I stated that to the average middle/upper middle class American there is a net drain. However, in less affluent communities there is a net positive to by this increasingly stable and economically growing community.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:40 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,930,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
I do get tired of hearing the other side go on about the cost to deport all illegals. Of course it's outrageous, but if we get 'em all (not realistic, I know) in that first year it's well worth it.
An added benefit would be a lot of affordable housing would be available for low income Americans.
that is an interesting point, since housing costs would drop significantly in this country with deportation, voluntary or otherwise. this would certainly help to stabilize the housing situation long-term, with more affordable payments for struggling americans. the government would not need to modify this mortgages on the backs of the taxpayers if housing prices were reasonable.

think about what this would mean - housing prices would become more reasonable (with greater inventory), more jobs would be opening up for people to be able to purchase and maintain housing, and wages would rise as less people would be competing for jobs.

of course thinking ahead for long-term benefit has never been the strong suit of government. they just want votes for the next election.

Old 02-06-2010, 04:34 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,874,810 times
Quote:
This is ridiculous. For God's sake she has a VERY serious condition. Kenya, currently is reeling from the near collapse of the gov't as well as a VERY severe economic collapse. I feel the fair judgement would be assylum with some sort of provsion being some minor punative action.
Great idea why don't you invite all the world's rejects to live with you on your income?

Old 02-06-2010, 05:57 PM

50,405 posts, read 47,145,000 times
Quote:
Part of it is due to ignorance of the actual costs. Part of it is hyper-nationalism. Note, I stated that to the average middle/upper middle class American there is a net drain. However, in less affluent communities there is a net positive to by this increasingly stable and economically growing community.
How could it be a net positive when they are directly competing with poorer Americans for the same jobs in those areas? You keep using the word "ignorant". I think you should probably find another angle.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:54 PM

918 posts, read 817,779 times
Default Unreal!

Does anyone truly believe that Obama will insist upon following the law in this matter? It ain't gonna happen. Why break his existing pattern of behavior? It will stall and stall and at the end of his first (and hopefully last) term he'll grant her immunity by pardon and that will be that.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
Great idea why don't you invite all the world's rejects to live with you on your income?
Did I say anything of the sort? I don't believe I did...

Old 02-06-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
How could it be a net positive when they are directly competing with poorer Americans for the same jobs in those areas? You keep using the word "ignorant". I think you should probably find another angle.
Well, because in these communities the increased tax revenue usually props up much needed services. Not to mention that poor Americans and illegal immigrants don't really compete for the same jobs. Also with increased consumers in an area that usually translates to more jobs within a given community.

Umm I don't think that you took all those things into consideration before you wrote this post.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:46 AM

3,875 posts, read 3,874,810 times
Quote:
Did I say anything of the sort? I don't believe I did...
Someone has to pay for these people.It's admirable that there are people that believe we should help and support the world's disadvantaged but these bleeding hearts are DREAMERS and their dreams are the American tax payers NIGHTMARES.
Kenya,Afghanistan,Haiti and several Latin American countries need to deal with their own problems,we can give them foreign aid,charity and help for decades,but they never really improve.Their leaders are corrupt ,their cultures are corrupt,their people will continue to take handouts,have more children than they can provide for.If these people enjoy high illiteracy,unemployment,lack of oppurtunities,**** poor infrastructure,over population and their backwards societies let them deal with it on their own.American tax dollars should go to help Americans.Those Americans that wish to help can donate to them if they wish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration