Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 01:05 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,923,719 times

Advertisements

Not just "welfare", but any sort of welfare assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 01:06 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,351,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
The majority of illegal immigrants aren't on welfare.
Obama's Aunt is. And what about this quote from the article:
Quote:
the Heritage Foundation study that our 12 million illegal immigrants are a $2.2 trillion net drain on the taxpayers over the course of their lifetimes.
Sorry, but I don't feel like footing the bill for anyone here illegally. GTFO

Old 02-05-2010, 01:06 PM

2,205 posts, read 2,543,842 times
Last dated November 2002? 8 years ago? Sorry, not enough to convince me.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getout View Post
Last dated November 2002? 8 years ago? Sorry, not enough to convince me.
Fine, here's is 2005

The proportion of immigrant-headed households using at least one major welfare program is 29 percent, compared to 18 percent for native households.

(CIS)

Notice that it's really not that much of a difference. The total will not shoot up to over 51% in 5 years.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:18 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,554,002 times
Quote:
The proportion of immigrant-headed households using at least one major welfare program is 24.5 percent compared to 16.3 percent for native households.

(Center for Immigration Studies)
Quote:
Fine, here's is 2005

The proportion of immigrant-headed households using at least one major welfare program is 29 percent, compared to 18 percent for native households.

(CIS)

Notice that it's really not that much of a difference. The total will not shoot up to over 51% in 5 years.
The posted figure only indicates 'immigrant-headed'. This is not proof that a majority of illegal alien households don't receive government aid. If you have info on illegals in this capacity, please share.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Fine, here's is 2005

(CIS)

Well you don't know that but the link did take me to this article:

Center for Immigration Studies

Old 02-05-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
The posted figure only indicates 'immigrant-headed'. This is not proof that a majority of illegal alien households don't receive government aid. If you have info on illegals in this capacity, please share.
Dually noted.

On the same study it states the national average for illegal immigrants using any type of welfare is 35% (food, cash assistance, medicaid).

Table 22 on Center for Immigration Studies

Old 02-05-2010, 01:34 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,849,962 times
Quote:
Sorry - I am not able to draw a connection - how does your comment have anything to do with my post?
Upon rereading your post, I was unable to make a connection either, which lends me to believe that I was commenting on the post above yours but erroneously picked yours.

Your post was way over my head so i will not attempt to comment on it at this time but reserve the right to do so.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:38 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,554,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getout View Post
Well you don't know that but the link did take me to this article:

Center for Immigration Studies
Thanks for posting this excellent link. I found the folowing paragraph exceptionally informative:

Policing the border, enforcing the ban on hiring illegal aliens, denying temporary visas to those likely to remain permanently, and all the other things necessary to reduce illegal immigration will take time and cost money. However, since the cost of illegal immigration to the federal government alone is estimated at over $10 billion a year, significant resources could be devoted to enforcement efforts and still leave taxpayers with significant net savings. Enforcement not only has the advantage of reducing the costs of illegal immigration, it also is very popular with the general public. Nonetheless, policymakers can expect strong opposition from special interest groups, especially ethnic advocacy groups and those elements of the business community that do not want to invest in labor-saving devices and techniques or pay better salaries, but instead want access to large numbers of cheap, unskilled workers. If we choose to continue to not enforce the law or to grant illegals amnesty, both the public and policymakers have to understand that there will be significant long-term costs for taxpayers.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Thanks for posting this excellent link. I found the folowing paragraph exceptionally informative:

Policing the border, enforcing the ban on hiring illegal aliens, denying temporary visas to those likely to remain permanently, and all the other things necessary to reduce illegal immigration will take time and cost money. However, since the cost of illegal immigration to the federal government alone is estimated at over $10 billion a year, significant resources could be devoted to enforcement efforts and still leave taxpayers with significant net savings. Enforcement not only has the advantage of reducing the costs of illegal immigration, it also is very popular with the general public. Nonetheless, policymakers can expect strong opposition from special interest groups, especially ethnic advocacy groups and those elements of the business community that do not want to invest in labor-saving devices and techniques or pay better salaries, but instead want access to large numbers of cheap, unskilled workers. If we choose to continue to not enforce the law or to grant illegals amnesty, both the public and policymakers have to understand that there will be significant long-term costs for taxpayers.
You're quite welcome, but the real thanks should go to that1guy since he steered me there in the first place..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration