Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 06:13 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,551,683 times

Advertisements

Normally, I wouldn't post an thread topic like this, but it was to compelling to pass up, and I'd love to hear the feedback, particularly from native North Carolinians (as well as others).

I saw a news clip this morning about the NC state farmers association pledging their 100% support behind the amnesty bill (I know that's not what it's called but that's in essence what it is). I did a little research and it seems this association has long advocated for "guest workers", for, the primary reason that they can't find anyone to do farm work in the state- so there's a labor shortage in this industry.

So one question would be "is NC pro guest worker"? At first glance I would have thought no, but now I'm starting to turn my opinion to yes- NC wants lots of guest workers from Latin America.

As a result of the housing construction boom in parts of NC, Hispanics have taken the brunt of a lot of scorn since it's clearly visible that they compose a great deal of the construction workforce. However isn't NC creating a favorable environment for this (construction, farming, etc.). If the NC farmers association (whom I assume are native NCians) are actively lobbying for this then it would seem the "scorn" is misdirected.

Here's an example article that I found which somewhat captures the plea of business for expanding the "guest worker" program:

newsobserver.com | Immigration bill would have big impact (http://www.newsobserver.com/114/story/575770.html - broken link)

Old 06-01-2007, 06:40 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,440,215 times
Ironically, the construction is destroying the farms. I'm not for amnesty, but I am a lot more worried about what will happen in 5 years when we get all of our food from China like we get everything else from. This is already starting to happen (check where some of your fruit juice and fish comes from). Once a farm is changed to pavement, it doesn't go back.

Old 06-01-2007, 06:01 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,416,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Normally, I wouldn't post an thread topic like this, but it was to compelling to pass up, and I'd love to hear the feedback, particularly from native North Carolinians (as well as others).

I saw a news clip this morning about the NC state farmers association pledging their 100% support behind the amnesty bill (I know that's not what it's called but that's in essence what it is). I did a little research and it seems this association has long advocated for "guest workers", for, the primary reason that they can't find anyone to do farm work in the state- so there's a labor shortage in this industry.

So one question would be "is NC pro guest worker"? At first glance I would have thought no, but now I'm starting to turn my opinion to yes- NC wants lots of guest workers from Latin America.

As a result of the housing construction boom in parts of NC, Hispanics have taken the brunt of a lot of scorn since it's clearly visible that they compose a great deal of the construction workforce. However isn't NC creating a favorable environment for this (construction, farming, etc.). If the NC farmers association (whom I assume are native NCians) are actively lobbying for this then it would seem the "scorn" is misdirected.

Here's an example article that I found which somewhat captures the plea of business for expanding the "guest worker" program:

newsobserver.com | Immigration bill would have big impact (http://www.newsobserver.com/114/story/575770.html - broken link)
I'm sure certain businesses and the farmers association would want to keep them here for obvious reasons. It all reeks of a smokescreen. Of course they're going to justify that the reason they hire illegals is because they can't find anyone to do the work for them. I'm sure they love paying people poor wages (maybe below minimum wage?) off the books without having to provide any sort of benefits, medical or otherwise.

I find an unbelievable hypocrisy from many proponents of this garbage bill. Many people who condemn Walmart for supposed working conditions and low wages are the same ones who seem to be pro-illegal immigrant amnesty. As if it's wrong for Walmart to pay people a lower wage to keep costs down but it's okay for businesses to do it in illegal fashion and off the books. Illegals are the only ones who'll do these jobs...or so we're lead to believe. Which I really don't believe for a second.

I'd be shocked if the average North Carolinian would actually be for this POS bill.

Old 06-01-2007, 06:05 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,499,018 times
I highly doubt that most NC folks would support this. The other controversial threads on the Charlotte boards will answer that question.

I am not from NC so I can't speak as a native. I am for it.

Dawn

Old 06-01-2007, 06:07 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
I highly doubt that most NC folks would support this. The other controversial threads on the Charlotte boards will answer that question.

I am not from NC so I can't speak as a native. I am for it.

Dawn
Not much for upholding the law and respecting what real immigrants did to build this country, huh?

Old 06-01-2007, 07:09 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,087,221 times
Im 100% OPPOSED to this plan. It is so ridiculously flawed. It does not surprise me one bit that farmers/factories, etc would support it though. I will actually laugh when these illegal aliens start suing their employers for disability, equal wages, benefits, and see how cheap they are to them.

Its sad to see small rural NC towns completely transformed into Mexican villages, with spanish the predominant language now in some areas.

I just refuse to sacrifice America so I can buy some cheap cabbage.

Old 06-01-2007, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
Im 100% OPPOSED to this plan. It is so ridiculously flawed. It does not surprise me one bit that farmers/factories, etc would support it though. I will actually laugh when these illegal aliens start suing their employers for disability, equal wages, benefits, and see how cheap they are to them.

Its sad to see small rural NC towns completely transformed into Mexican villages, with spanish the predominant language now in some areas.

I just refuse to sacrifice America so I can buy some cheap cabbage.
This was the final straw in my dwindling support for George Bush. It kills me to agree with liberals but I've had it with this clown. He's just shown himself to be a threat to national security. Actually this is the second time with the first being that attempt to sell off 22 of our ports to the UAE. As far as I'm concerned he's an enemy to the conservative base and America at this point. 2008 can't come soon enough.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:01 PM

20 posts, read 109,135 times
North Carolina, the state, is essentially for illegal aliens, while most citizens are not.

The city of Charlotte is a safe haven, meaning they do not check citizenship execpt in severe cases, while the county of Mecklenberg, the county Charlotte is in, has a sheriff who trys to deport every illegal he can.

Raleigh-Durham is very illegal friendly also. Just go to Zebulon, which is east of Raleigh on US 64, and you will be hard pressed to see anything written in english in the whole town.

The fact that North Carolina ranks #9 in the country for the most illegals should be enough evidence as to this states pro illegal stance.

Housing, government assistance, drivers license, and anything else, is very easy to obtain for an illegal in this state.

This influx is the reason that so many new schools are having to be built, new ESL teachers hired, and for huge budget shortfalls in most every county across the state.

The story in the papers is the problems are caused by people moving here from other states, when everyone knows where the people who are straining system are coming from, and what their legal status is.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:35 PM

460 posts, read 2,423,252 times
It all started with migrant farm workers an institution in the US and the south. When you open that jar of Mt Olive pickles think about the migrant workers that picked the cukes. Every year I lived in NC they would come in droves up from GA and about 5 weeks they would pick the cukes and take on other local picking. They would live in rented trailers usually 10 or so to a trailer with no air conditioning and children running around outside while the women did the laundry. It made me sad to see people work so hard and live so horribly.
I think that what the president is sponsoring is just not right. It is a myriad of issues all not thought out or covered kind of like the plan for Iraq.
This guy is not the smartest tool in the shed. I cannot not wait to see Bush go either. If the job gets too tough maybe he will quit and go ride ponies on his ranch in Neverland Tx.
But Laura the tin man and toto said after I land a house on Sadam I should make all the munchkins legal. Soon the oompah lumpahs are going to want in too. I better call up the wizard and ask him what to do about Scooter.
A mess I tell you a giant mess. I will pay 3.00 a head for lettuce if someone would make gas cheaper.

Old 06-02-2007, 05:41 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,551,683 times
Well I'm agreement with just about everything that's been said- particularly Brian and Carolina Native. It hit me how interwoven political lobbying groups, big business is tied to all of this. Looking at that clip yesterday of the rep. from the farmers association- he pretty much said the farmers need these workers for survival, they can't find anyone to do it. Honestly, I do not blame any illegal alien- we've created a path of least resistance, and it's human nature to take the easier road. Why go through the hassle of a legal immigration process, when you can be given near instantaneous status coming in under the radar?

You're right, there's an under-culture built on pay people lower than minimum wage, no need pay insurance, social security, etc. Since they are illegal they could never be unionized (well unions aren't big in NC anyway). However all that is going to change, and this bill may end up biting big business as these new legal workers will demand fair compensation, benefits, etc.

So how far would this outrageous go though- say you found out your employer (whom you derive your income from) was directly or indirectly involved in this- for example a major soft drink company uses illegals and you work for said company. A major bank is now handing out credits cards to non-citizens with no doc?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.