Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 11:23 PM

2,205 posts, read 2,542,173 times

Advertisements

Search Results - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

The above link is a list of co-sponsors for bill H.R. 1868.

Quote:
“There has been some movement or talk about changing that,” Sen. Shelby said. “That ought to be changed because there’s so much abuse. I’d support a change on that.
Sen. Shelby Shows Support for Birthright Citizenship Bill | NumbersUSA - For Lower Immigration Levels

A bill offered by Rep. Nathan Deal (R-Ga.) would require that at least one parent be a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident in order for the new born to receive automatic citizenship. The current law has been abused by illegal aliens who give birth in the United States and are then able to access welfare services since the baby is a U.S. citizen. There is currently no bill offered in the U.S. Senate addressing birthright citizenship.

Last edited by getout; 03-10-2010 at 11:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 12:00 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,919,981 times
How would they deal with the current citizen children of illegal immigrants? I mean I somewhat agree with this proposal...

Old 03-11-2010, 08:41 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,348,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getout View Post
Search Results - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

The above link is a list of co-sponsors for bill H.R. 1868.

Sen. Shelby Shows Support for Birthright Citizenship Bill | NumbersUSA - For Lower Immigration Levels

A bill offered by Rep. Nathan Deal (R-Ga.) would require that at least one parent be a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident in order for the new born to receive automatic citizenship. The current law has been abused by illegal aliens who give birth in the United States and are then able to access welfare services since the baby is a U.S. citizen. There is currently no bill offered in the U.S. Senate addressing birthright citizenship.
This legislation desperately needs passing. I am sure it won't be retroactive but at least we would have a starting point to end future abuse if passed.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:46 AM

2,205 posts, read 2,542,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
This legislation desperately needs passing. I am sure it won't be retroactive but at least we would have a starting point to end future abuse if passed.
Another reason to pressure legislation to act NOW and to S.T.O.P. this National travesty. Support legislators who have supported this bill to show America is behind them.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getout View Post
Another reason to pressure legislation to act NOW and to S.T.O.P. this National travesty. Support legislators who have supported this bill to show America is behind them.
I had read that Rep. Nathan Deal who authored this legislation has since retired. I hope he made sure that those onboard with him on this legislation will continue to carry the ball.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:39 AM

11,763 posts, read 14,706,959 times
I suppose as cheap political stunts go this one is not bad. After all, what does it cost to sponsor a bill that has zero chance of passage and would be unconstitutional even if it did?

Old 03-11-2010, 09:44 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,215,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I suppose as cheap political stunts go this one is not bad. After all, what does it cost to sponsor a bill that has zero chance of passage and would be unconstitutional even if it did?
If referring to ending birthright citizenship for Anchor Babies; how would such a bill be an unconstitutional cheap stunt? Remember that the US born children of foreign diplomats are specifically excluded from birthright yet their parents are here legally..........why should illegal aliens' kids have more 'rights' than the former?

Old 03-11-2010, 10:04 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,846,694 times
Shelby...now thats Pandering.

Sen. Shelby knows why Deal's legislation didnt make out of committee in 2005, 2007, and now in 2009.

Shelby isnt ingnorant...He knows no a "Bill" will not make it to the floor of the Senate that tries to reverse the current interpretation of the 14th.

I thought the Anti crowd hade already figured that one out

Shelby and rocks travel in the same bag.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Shelby...now thats Pandering.

Sen. Shelby knows why Deal's legislation didnt make out of committee in 2005, 2007, and now in 2009.

Shelby isnt ingnorant...He knows no a "Bill" will not make it to the floor of the Senate that tries to reverse the current interpretation of the 14th.

I thought the Anti crowd hade already figured that one out

Shelby and rocks travel in the same bag.
Except as each year goes by more and more Americans are getting fed up with illegal immigration and this kind of abuse and are demanding these changes. Soon or later congress will have to listen. I think sooner this time around.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:55 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,215,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Except as each year goes by more and more Americans are getting fed up with illegal immigration and this kind of abuse and are demanding these changes. Soon or later congress will have to listen. I think sooner this time around.
More and more: the question should be be if birthright citizenship will be rescinded for minor age Anchor Babies below a certain age........not that new Anchors will receive it---------that with be a fait accompli IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration