Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 10:53 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times

Advertisements

They [unauthorized migrants] were 24% of all workers employed in
farming occupations, 17% in cleaning, 14% in construction and 12% in food
preparation industries.

http://pewhispanic.org/files/reports/61.pdf

So, if we take those numbers, then:

76% of workers employed in farming occupations
83% of workers employed in cleaning occupations
86% of workers employed in construction occupations
88% of workers employed in food prep industries

....are U.S. Citizens or Legal Residents. So much for the "jobs Americans won't do" b.s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 11:06 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
They [unauthorized migrants] were 24% of all workers employed in
farming occupations, 17% in cleaning, 14% in construction and 12% in food
preparation industries.

http://pewhispanic.org/files/reports/61.pdf

So, if we take those numbers, then:

76% of workers employed in farming occupations
83% of workers employed in cleaning occupations
86% of workers employed in construction occupations
88% of workers employed in food prep industries

....are U.S. Citizens or Legal Residents. So much for the "jobs Americans won't do" b.s.
Good find!! This one is a keeper.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:08 AM

2,205 posts, read 2,536,684 times
Math doesn't lie...

Old 03-12-2010, 11:12 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
Priceless! I also noticed ag jumped from 2-4% to 24%. Interesting.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:27 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Priceless! I also noticed ag jumped from 2-4% to 24%. Interesting.
24% of ag jobs are held by illegals - but 2-4% of illegals present in the US have those 24% jobs. At least I think that is what you meant by the 2-4%.

How many millions of folks could we really be employing picking strawberries and lettuce? Let's get real!

Old 03-12-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
24% of ag jobs are held by illegals - but 2-4% of illegals present in the US have those 24% jobs. At least I think that is what you meant by the 2-4%.

How many millions of folks could we really be employing picking strawberries and lettuce? Let's get real!
You’re right. I guess I was having a senior moment.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:22 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,666,667 times
so NOW the Pew Hispanic Center is a reliable source...

i read the report. and what i didnt find was a definite number of US citizens that work in these fields. it mentioned unauthorized individuals (illegals), but i never saw anything on the number that citizens make up. i was waiting to read about temp workers. visa specific workers. but that never occured. how much of the population does that segment comprise?

i imagine that the remainder of folks working in these fields will be very similar to unauthorized workers. they will be poor, they will probably be immigrants, or they will be the US born children of immigrants (those anchor babies you all talk about). lets not forget that farm labor is very generational. as are other industries. these low level workers will probably not be found on a forum like this. thats who works in the fields. thats who scrubs toilets.

im still not convinced that US born citizens are down to pick fruit, scrub toilets, etc. etc.

will they pack meat? of course. its no suprise that immigration raids happen in certain sectors of the labor industry, but not in others. meat processing plants will get raided because people do want those better jobs. how many strawberry fields are raided?

there is still work that I and most people on here wont do.
who will pick fruit for minumum wage? for 10 dollars? i wont. will all you?

Old 03-12-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
so NOW the Pew Hispanic Center is a reliable source...

i read the report. and what i didnt find was a definite number of US citizens that work in these fields. it mentioned unauthorized individuals (illegals), but i never saw anything on the number that citizens make up. i was waiting to read about temp workers. visa specific workers. but that never occured. how much of the population does that segment comprise?

i imagine that the remainder of folks working in these fields will be very similar to unauthorized workers. they will be poor, they will probably be immigrants, or they will be the US born children of immigrants (those anchor babies you all talk about). lets not forget that farm labor is very generational. as are other industries. these low level workers will probably not be found on a forum like this. thats who works in the fields. thats who scrubs toilets.

im still not convinced that US born citizens are down to pick fruit, scrub toilets, etc. etc.

will they pack meat? of course. its no suprise that immigration raids happen in certain sectors of the labor industry, but not in others. meat processing plants will get raided because people do want those better jobs. how many strawberry fields are raided?

there is still work that I and most people on here wont do.
who will pick fruit for minumum wage? for 10 dollars? i wont
. will all you?
If I had no other option, I most definitely would work for $10/hr to survive. Were you trying to set a trap with your declaration? Trying to get us lazy/spoiled Americans to admit illegals do the jobs we won’t do?

Old 03-12-2010, 12:51 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,836,467 times
This survey was published in PEW H C in 2006 from a survey Taken and analyzed by J.S. Passel n 2005.

The data used to analyze the survey the was taken form a book written J S Passel, in 2004; about hispanic trends for the 2000 census.

[LEFT]Passel, Jeffrey S., Jennifer Van Hook, and Frank D. Bean. 2004. Estimates of Legal and
Unauthorized Foreign Born Population for the United States and Selected States,
Based on Census 2000. Report to the Census Bureau. Urban Institute: Washington,[/LEFT]
DC. June 1. Also, http://www.sabresys.com/i_whitepapers.asp (broken link).

In 2000, the US Census, no distinction was made of illegal immigrants vs. citizens, or Hispanic Americans vs Hispanic immigrants.

Guestamations are good enough for the Pew center.

Last edited by 1751texan; 03-12-2010 at 01:01 PM..

Old 03-12-2010, 12:53 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,666,667 times
you dont have to fess up to anything.
i jus think that this article/report still doesnt nullify the claim that illegals do the work US citizens wont.
this report only provides a [projected]number of illegals working. it doesnt say who else makes up the remainder.

but i like the stats. illegals are less than 5% of the overall labor force. and according to this study we only have 11.5 mil illegals.

next time anyone says we have 20 to 30 million i will just point them here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
If I had no other option, I most definitely would work for $10/hr to survive. Were you trying to set a trap with your declaration? Trying to get us lazy/spoiled Americans to admit illegals do the jobs we won’t do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration