Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 06:52 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,957,267 times

Advertisements

Some say that Illegal works are doing the work that Americans will not do. But what about Inmates serving time for petty crimes and are allowed work release because of their good behavior? They deserve a chance to work and learn a skill, don't they? I do not know the exact number, but my guess is that that there are a sufficient number of inmates to do the job and replace illegal workers. Work release inmates are American citizes, paid pay taxes and have paid or are paying their debt to society. They just made bad decisions, like all of us. Seems like every time I walk past a construction site and see so many illegal workers, I cannot help from wondering why work release inmates are not trained and doing these jobs.

Hey, that is just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 07:03 PM

30,415 posts, read 52,039,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Some say that Illegal works are doing the work that Americans will not do. But what about Inmates serving time for petty crimes and are allowed work release because of their good behavior? They deserve a chance to work and learn a skill, don't they? I do not know the exact number, but my guess is that that there are a sufficient number of inmates to do the job and replace illegal workers. Work release inmates are American citizes, paid pay taxes and have paid or are paying their debt to society. They just made bad decisions, like all of us. Seems like every time I walk past a construction site and see so many illegal workers
Ummmm... how do you know they're ILLEGAL by walking past a construction site? Do you stop to check their paperwork, or simply assume that all Hispanic or Spanish-speaking people are illegal? And don't give me the old "it's obvious" answer, because that's the same as assuming or stereotyping. That being said, I would consider hiring a released inmate if insurance allowed - if I owned a company (I work for the government, so it's a moot point in reality), I'd be more concerned with how hard they work, and whether they're honest. Everyone deserves a chance, even those pesky immigrants.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:05 PM

30,415 posts, read 52,039,429 times
P.S. You should probably have this moved to the immigration forum, since there's no doubt it'll turn into (yet another) illegal immigration debate.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:11 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,472,714 times
I would hire a petty criminl but never an illegal immigrant. We put a new roof on our home before we sold it. The first crew that showed up could not utter but a few words in english. I asked them if the were here leagally and asked to see their proof. No proofie no jobie. We hired another crew, Some were mexican, legal immigrants and they did a wonderful job.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:09 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,684,340 times
They are both criminals so you might as well hire the American and not commit a criminal act yourself by hiring an illegal.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:20 PM

2,201 posts, read 2,518,633 times
If they are breaking the law by being here, why should we support them with a job as opposed to an american trying to make a living.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:34 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,306,253 times
I would not hire either a jail release worker or an illegal immigrant to work around my home...

The man who is sort of my rent a husband was born and raised here and a good christian person...Since it is only my daughter and I, he has done a wide array of things for me from moving furniture to removing downed trees after a hurricane.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:51 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,855,190 times
Yes, I would hire an inmate incarcerated for petty crimes. No, I would never hire an illegal alien for any reason.
To give a job to a prison inmate or paroled inmate may be the path for them to a crime free life.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:53 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,434,324 times
I'd hire a release worker, at least they are paying for their crime. Shoot, I'd even hire Paris Hilton and I can't stand her.

Old 06-07-2007, 11:00 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,485,027 times
Yes, I'd definitely hire someone who was on work release or had just gotten out of jail for a petty crime. That could include a lot of things that are actually quite trivial.

No, I would NEVER consider hiring someone who was here illegally. We Americans need to stick together and look out for each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration