Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 07:48 AM

634 posts, read 1,559,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
Just obey the law of the land and you'll have no problem.

It is not how you look but how you act. If you are here legally you have nothing to worry about-there is no reasonable cause for your paranoia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 07:54 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,713,493 times
Stay home, Arizona is only for """Real Americans""". My question is, will the Major League Baseball Players Association boycott Phoenix, rather than have all of their players have to prove their status.
I hope they do.

Old 04-24-2010, 07:54 AM

4,563 posts, read 4,107,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenArlingtonPark View Post
It is not how you look but how you act. If you are here legally you have nothing to worry about-there is no reasonable cause for your paranoia.
I wonder if anyone said that in the deep south in the late 18th to mid 20th century??

Old 04-24-2010, 08:07 AM

218 posts, read 239,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
And will never be harrased to show them on the street for immigration status if you are white or black.

However since you and I are both white, and both have concealed carry licenses, tell me how this sits with you. I was pulled over one time and I was coming back from the range. The officer saw my handguns in cases on the seat, drew his weapon and told me to get out of the car. If I get pulled over I stick my hands out the window so the officer can see my hands and I did this time also.

He proceeded to run the serial numbers, kind of harrass me for having weapons, made me spread on the hood of my car the whole time. I don't think you would appreciate being profiled like that would you? While he eventually let me go on my way with my firearms, after giving me a ticket for no seat belt.
So, you give the officer the excuse to pull you over because you were breaking the law. The officer saw a handgun next to you and took protective measures, since he didn't know who you were.

And then he proceeded to follow protocol to make sure you were safe and not dangerous. However, you get bent out of shape over this.

Next time don't break the law and give the cops an excuse to pull you over.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:08 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,321,711 times
I won't be spending any tourist dollars in AZ as long as they have that law in effect. I won't be buying any products produced in AZ as long as that law is in effect. It's profiling people based on looks and setting up a police state which is against the constitution. Scary stuff. If they really want to do something about illegals do something about the employers who knowingly hire illegals because they can get away with paying them less and giving them substandard working conditions. Without the jobs, they illegals have no reason to come here. Yes, we need immigration reform, but what AZ is doing is just plain un-American. Legal immigrants should be able to walk down the street without fear of being harassment from the police.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:10 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,406,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenArlingtonPark View Post

This notion that a hispanic even if they are 3rd generation American should blame illegals for when they get stopped and asked for documents because "they look hispanic, might have "acted?" like a illegal" is so flawed how can someone just say "obey the law of the land".

Well the law of the land is the Bill of Rights and any American deserves it. You can't just brush aside civil rights when it becomes inconvienant.

Open your house, your wallet, your pockets, your car to inspection, never mind a warrent or probable cause, "hey if you aren't doing something wrong you don't have anything to worry about right".

This country has remand free because civilians have numerous rights while government has limited rights, that thought above flies in the face of liberty and opens the door to a police state.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:22 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,406,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Moor View Post
So, you give the officer the excuse to pull you over because you were breaking the law. The officer saw a handgun next to you and took protective measures, since he didn't know who you were.

And then he proceeded to follow protocol to make sure you were safe and not dangerous. However, you get bent out of shape over this.

Next time don't break the law and give the cops an excuse to pull you over.

He had no probable cause to assume my weapons were stolen. He saw my concealed license. He also made the comment "anybody with that many one is bound to come back as stolen". I made no threatening jesture. Even though you weren't there to undestand, the cop was irritated that I had firearms, I could see that.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:25 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,494,173 times
The bolded is really the crux of the issue for me. If people really wanted to stop illegal immigration, they would focus on the folks who hire them.

As for the "law," I anticipate that it will soon be ruled unconstitutional and/or that American citizens of Hispanic descent, who are stopped by the AZ police, sue the state when their rights are violated.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I won't be spending any tourist dollars in AZ as long as they have that law in effect. I won't be buying any products produced in AZ as long as that law is in effect. It's profiling people based on looks and setting up a police state which is against the constitution. Scary stuff. If they really want to do something about illegals do something about the employers who knowingly hire illegals because they can get away with paying them less and giving them substandard working conditions. Without the jobs, they illegals have no reason to come here. Yes, we need immigration reform, but what AZ is doing is just plain un-American. Legal immigrants should be able to walk down the street without fear of being harassment from the police.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:32 AM

218 posts, read 239,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
He had no probable cause to assume my weapons were stolen. He saw my concealed license. He also made the comment "anybody with that many one is bound to come back as stolen". I made no threatening jesture. Even though you weren't there to undestand, the cop was irritated that I had firearms, I could see that.
Whatever you say. You broke the law and he was taking precautionary measures.

If he harassed you, then I am sure that you acted like a good citizen and filed a complaint.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:36 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,249,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
But this law states the cops can stop you if they suspect you are in the country illegally. So people OBEYING the law are subject to being harassed.
How do you know when someone is here illegally? It's not an action you witness, like a store robbery.
Or am I wrong?
Where does the law say that....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration