Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 07:04 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,347,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar31 View Post
this is a requirement not a profiling !

So let's make it a requirement for everyone to be able to prove residency status. What's the problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 07:07 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,347,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar31 View Post
you are right. Let's deport Christopher Columbus and the rest of them

Interesting- can't answer those questions so you come back with an off the cuff joking reply- FAIL

Old 04-24-2010, 07:09 AM

4,564 posts, read 4,103,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Here it is again- the race card and you have it up your sleeve every time you enter into a debate. You are against illegal immigrants? You must be racist then. That excuse is way over played and is beyond pathetic at this point.

It appears that you missed these questions.

Please answer the following questions:

Should the USA allow anyone in the world into the country any time they want to enter?

Given the length of our borders, can we effectively prevent them from coming in if they really want?

Does the USA have the resources to support everyone in the world who would like to come here?

No, but if we have laws and policies that create a market for illegals they'll find a way to get in the country.

Jobs, schools, hospitals, roads, energy, food supplies, water supplies- are these all infinite resources?

Well Republicans believe in wealth creation (which is the creation of resources) are you going to give up that argument for the sake of getting rid of illegals.

Does immigration to the USA amount to a viable solution to the problems of various countries around the world and all of their citizens?

Given their weak governments. Given we have a nice lucrative drug market that creates crime in other countries. Given we like to destabalize countries around the world......in some cases yes.

Why not try to answer instead of resorting to the trusty, handy dandy race card?
That's right- you have no answers to reality so you cry racism. How pathetic can you get?
Do you have realistic answers to the problems related to immigration? How can our borders be effectively closed? How can we make sure employers aren't employing illegals? Do you realize the cost of actually doing this?

I'm not saying being against illegal immigration is being racist.

I do think that it is an overblown issue meant to pit one group of poor people against another.

Old 04-24-2010, 07:12 AM

218 posts, read 239,578 times
Don't look like an illegal immigrant. You are making quite the stretch that a Puerto Rican with a New York accent who looks like an American will look like exactly like a Mexican who just crossed the desert.

Last edited by The_Moor; 04-24-2010 at 07:23 AM..

Old 04-24-2010, 07:17 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times
Quote:
I had to fill out an I9 for my last job. I had to show my passport as documented proof of citizenship. Guess what: I'm white. Did that violate my civil liberties?

A little different than a cop seeing a latino walking down the street and demanding papers, don't ya think?

Let me ask, a cop is line at a Burger King, the guy in front of him is hispanic and the girl taking the order is hispanic, during the order they exchange a brief words of "ola, beunos dias". Should the cop question them for documents of status?

Old 04-24-2010, 07:18 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
I have one question that I would like folks help me answer.

I am Latino. Specifically Puerto Rican. My family has been "American" since 1898. We have been here a while and have contributed greatly to this country. Also, I'm far from ever being illegal.

OK, so the question is:

When I go to visit Arizona, let's say the Grand Canyon, how should I dress or look to prevent from being suspected of being in the country illegally? What documents should I bring?

I really would not want to waste one second of my precious time being harassed by local government. This bill really puts me on edge for possible harassment.

I mean the governor does't know what an illegal alien looks like, who's to say the cops will.

Latino = Illegal?

Thanks.

What a bunch of liberal crap-

1. First of all, New Yorkers never leave New York. They are the least traveled bunch of provincial hillbillies in the US. No need to worry, as no one will check ID in Manhatten.

2. It is the same thing as checking ID at an aiport. Do you ***** about that as well? The state of Arizona is ENFORCING THE LAW.

3. As a good citizen you should HELP the Arizona police to enforce the law. If you are not a good citizen, you will ***** and obstruct thier efforts to enforce the borders and stop the financial bleeding that is going on in the border states.

4. As you appear to not care about the financial plight of Arizona, why not donate half of your income to support just a small fraction of the finacial burden the state is experiencing due to illegals? Then, instead of being the average liberal who just likes to ***** and will NEVER open thier wallet, you can be the liberal exception to the rule. If you do not want to pay for all the chaos the illegals are causing in Arizona, you may want to just shut up, as only a hypocrite would complain and sit back and do nothing (i.e. definition of a liberal).

Old 04-24-2010, 07:21 AM

Quote:
So let's make it a requirement for everyone to be able to prove residency status. What's the problem?
I carry-

1. a copy of my birth certificate
2. a driver's liscence
3. a social security card
4. a concealed carry permit
5. whenever I travel (even in the US) my passport

Since I am not from New York, and therefore not a provincial hillbilly, I have traveled around the world. I have quite often been asked to produce ID in many parts of the world. It is not a big deal. I guess if New Yorkers left thier backwater hollow more often, they would understand this.

Old 04-24-2010, 07:23 AM

305 posts, read 805,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
I have one question that I would like folks help me answer.

I am Latino. Specifically Puerto Rican. My family has been "American" since 1898. We have been here a while and have contributed greatly to this country. Also, I'm far from ever being illegal.

OK, so the question is:

When I go to visit Arizona, let's say the Grand Canyon, how should I dress or look to prevent from being suspected of being in the country illegally? What documents should I bring?

I really would not want to waste one second of my precious time being harassed by local government. This bill really puts me on edge for possible harassment.

I mean the governor does't know what an illegal alien looks like, who's to say the cops will.

Latino = Illegal?

Thanks.
The biggest problem will be for them to be able to figure the difference between a illegal and a hard working American citizen who is Latino. If they can do that you'll be fine, however if they racial profile Hispanics like they do blacks then you're gonna have a problem.

Old 04-24-2010, 07:34 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I carry-

1. a copy of my birth certificate
2. a driver's liscence
3. a social security card
4. a concealed carry permit
5. whenever I travel (even in the US) my passport

Since I am not from New York, and therefore not a provincial hillbilly, I have traveled around the world. I have quite often been asked to produce ID in many parts of the world. It is not a big deal. I guess if New Yorkers left thier backwater hollow more often, they would understand this.

And will never be harrased to show them on the street for immigration status if you are white or black.

However since you and I are both white, and both have concealed carry licenses, tell me how this sits with you. I was pulled over one time and I was coming back from the range. The officer saw my handguns in cases on the seat, drew his weapon and told me to get out of the car. If I get pulled over I stick my hands out the window so the officer can see my hands and I did this time also.

He proceeded to run the serial numbers, kind of harrass me for having weapons, made me spread on the hood of my car the whole time. I don't think you would appreciate being profiled like that would you? While he eventually let me go on my way with my firearms, after giving me a ticket for no seat belt.

Old 04-24-2010, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
And will never be harrased to show them on the street for immigration status if you are white or black.

However since you and I are both white, and both have concealed carry licenses, tell me how this sits with you. I was pulled over one time and I was coming back from the range. The officer saw my handguns in cases on the seat, drew his weapon and told me to get out of the car. If I get pulled over I stick my hands out the window so the officer can see my hands and I did this time also.

He proceeded to run the serial numbers, kind of harrass me for having weapons, made me spread on the hood of my car the whole time. I don't think you would appreciate being profiled like that would you? While he eventually let me go on my way with my firearms, after giving me a ticket for no seat belt.

Carry your weapons in the trunk. We do. I know it is legal to transport in a case, but in our state, the weapon (even in a case) should be out of reach of the driver.

We are going to the range right now, as a matter of fact. My son just bought a POS Glock .45 and wants to shoot it. It is like a man owning a Ferarri and wanting to drive a Yugo. I will shoot the H&K and Sigs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration