Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 01:09 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,166,623 times

Advertisements

I have scoured news reports from the major news media outlets and I am finding front page article after article espousing heated rhetoric about this new law causing massive groundswells of opponents. They are saying, the law will bring about a massive uprising to crush any chance of it going into effect. Articles comparing this law to gestapo techniques and the end to civil liberties etc..The problem is that this is all BS. It is all provocative and irresponsible news reporting lowered down to the level of "MAD MAGAZINE". Are these media nuts crazy. Now let me explain why I'm fuming.

I have just tracked down almost every on-line poll on the issue. All but one showed huge support in favor of Arizona's new law. And the lone exception was like 47% in favor of the law and 49% apposed. The rest where undecided. There where also a number of polls I came upon that where closed quite ubruptly. I noticed the people who did get to vote where in favor of the law. These news outlets who pulled their polls out early just happened to be all liberal news organizations.

I am an avid media observer. All always give the benefit of the doubt to the media and figure by watching a multitude of sources, I can take bits and pieces to puzzle together the information for better accuracy. For the first time in my life, I am embarrassed of our major media. How sick. Freedom of the press is one of the strongest assetts we have to keep the powers in check. Damn sad...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 01:15 AM

313 posts, read 344,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
I have scoured news reports from the major news media outlets and I am finding front page article after article espousing heated rhetoric about this new law causing massive groundswells of opponents. They are saying, the law will bring about a massive uprising to crush any chance of it going into effect. Articles comparing this law to gestapo techniques and the end to civil liberties etc..The problem is that this is all BS. It is all provocative and irresponsible news reporting lowered down to the level of "MAD MAGAZINE". Are these media nuts crazy. Now let me explain why I'm fuming.

I have just tracked down almost every on-line poll on the issue. All but one showed huge support in favor of Arizona's new law. And the lone exception was like 47% in favor of the law and 49% apposed. The rest where undecided. There where also a number of polls I came upon that where closed quite ubruptly. I noticed the people who did get to vote where in favor of the law. These news outlets who pulled their polls out early just happened to be all liberal news organizations.

I am an avid media observer. All always give the benefit of the doubt to the media and figure by watching a multitude of sources, I can take bits and pieces to puzzle together the information for better accuracy. For the first time in my life, I am embarrassed of our major media. How sick. Freedom of the press is one of the strongest assetts we have to keep the powers in check. Damn sad...
You should share these polls

Old 04-28-2010, 01:15 AM

264 posts, read 457,666 times
Not to be offensive, but what cave did you just crawl out of?

The mainstream press has been the tool of the rich and powerful long before you or I came onto this earth, bought and paid for by the robber barrons of old.

That said, thank GOD for the internet and the democratization of information which it provides to people in the free world, at least while it lasts.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econolodge-911 View Post
Not to be offensive, but what cave did you just crawl out of?

The mainstream press has been the tool of the rich and powerful long before you or I came onto this earth, bought and paid for by the robber barrons of old.

That said, thank GOD for the internet and the democratization of information which it provides to people in the free world, at least while it lasts.
There are only a few people I would ever "crawl" for, and it's usually for entertainment purposes.

I do understand what your saying. I am aware that the media is in the hands of the "elites" etc.. I have just never seen the level of negligence I'm witnessing on this issue. For example. When affirmative action was under attack in the early 90's, I didn't see the media blitzing reports about racism is the reason for it. Or that there are huge demonstrations and boycotts coming to fight the evil racist lunatic fringe trying to hinder any further advancement of blacks. The media is almost treating this worse then when the Bush clan lied us into a false war with Iraq. There is an "air" of arrogance on this I've never really witnessed before.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpayaso View Post
You should share these polls
99% of the polls you google. There are so many. I'll give you some examples.

Post User Polls: Does Arizona's new immigration law go too far? - Cameron Smith

Poll: Will Arizona's immigration law help or hurt GOP?

AZ immigration law stirs the political pot | KATU.com - Breaking News, Sports, Traffic and Weather - Portland, Oregon | National & World News

Old 04-28-2010, 07:49 AM

128 posts, read 403,817 times
Even the Republicans will turn against the law because secretly they do not support border enforcement because the religious right supports an open border and the business community wants cheap labor. Most Democratic Leaders want an open border too. The silent majority is ignored on this issue.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:56 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,758,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tough Questions View Post
Even the Republicans will turn against the law because secretly they do not support border enforcement because the religious right supports an open border and the business community wants cheap labor. Most Democratic Leaders want an open border too. The silent majority is ignored on this issue.
Postura a favor de ley antiinmigrante - Al Punto

Play this video and comment on Montenegro's points.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:17 AM

264 posts, read 457,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post

You know, I would bet my house right now that both the Drug Cartels and the Mexican Government are supporting a good percentage of the opposition against Arizona's new laws.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:48 PM

8,641 posts, read 10,171,625 times
I just tried posting on Rick Sanchez's website for CNN, and my posts were not taken MOST LIKELY because they were in opposition to Rick Sanchez's thoughts. Typical.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:54 PM

130 posts, read 291,911 times
Jan Brewer for Arizona Governor | Homepage
Please people don't just frustratingly vent your anger here - it does no good - go to her website - sign your support and forward the URL above to EVERYONE on your email list. BUY ARIZONA ONLINE be proactive
A police officer was on the news last night saying he has been given the legal right to detain American Citizens, question American Citizens, incarcerate American Citizens and even SHOOT American Citizens, certainly he should have the right to question illegal immigrants????????????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration