Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 11:25 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,222,203 times

Advertisements

"Why are protests not being directed to our national government and the government of Mexico? Why aren't these groups demanding that our porous border with Mexico be closed, once and for all? It's not impossible. We have the most sophisticated surveillance and monitoring technology in history, the most formidable military in the world, yet we are unable to stop the daily intrusion of illegal immigrants from Mexico into the United States? This is a failure of policy, not one of capability."

Clarence B. Jones: Somebody Close the Door: Reactions to Arizona Immigration Law Misses the Big Picture

This is it, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 11:26 AM

8,653 posts, read 10,193,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
"Why are protests not being directed to our national government and the government of Mexico? Why aren't these groups demanding that our porous border with Mexico be closed, once and for all? It's not impossible. We have the most sophisticated surveillance and monitoring technology in history, the most formidable military in the world, yet we are unable to stop the daily intrusion of illegal immigrants from Mexico into the United States? This is a failure of policy, not one of capability."

Clarence B. Jones: Somebody Close the Door: Reactions to Arizona Immigration Law Misses the Big Picture

This is it, IMO.
Actually, it is a question being asked by many.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:29 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,092,672 times
We have a 2 front war. We'd have to expand the defense budget and possibly re-enact the draft in order to militarize the border.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:32 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,491,444 times
Quote:

This is it, IMO.
This is it - you said it! Why has our Federal Gov't failed AZ and failed the US in protecting our borders, and protecting our states' economies? Who benefits from exploiting a massive underclass of people, while the backbone of the US, the middle class, fizzles into extinction? The MSM is all just smoke and mirrors - gee I wonder why.

Things that make you go hmmmm.....

Old 04-28-2010, 11:36 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,607,875 times
Quote:

This is it, IMO.
Exactly. The Arizona law would have never been introduced if the national government had done its job. Maybe this will force the issue. On the other hand, it may allow one side to grandstand against the issue while the other praises AZ and the status quo is maintained.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:38 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,222,203 times
The comments at that page, under the article, arent especially interesting except one.

"[In 1995] Robert Rubin told the Senate Foreign Whatever committee back then, 'gee, we couldn't see it coming'. American taxpayers bailed out Mexico/GS to the tune of $40 billion.... We (America) went down there, hauled in Walmart etc, broke the financial backs of the rural population, destroyed their means of making money for their families, then cranked up China's most-favored-nation status, and split from Mexico in 1999 when we could get wages for $.60 in China instead of $2.00 in Mexico."

I dont know this history but if anyone else does -- what is this story? (I'll research it eventually, just not right now.)

Old 04-28-2010, 11:42 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,491,444 times
Quote:
The comments at that page, under the article, arent especially interesting except one.

"[In 1995] Robert Rubin told the Senate Foreign Whatever committee back then, 'gee, we couldn't see it coming'. American taxpayers bailed out Mexico/GS to the tune of $40 billion.... We (America) went down there, hauled in Walmart etc, broke the financial backs of the rural population, destroyed their means of making money for their families, then cranked up China's most-favored-nation status, and split from Mexico in 1999 when we could get wages for $.60 in China instead of $2.00 in Mexico."

I dont know this history but if anyone else does -- what is this story? (I'll research it eventually, just not right now.)
Sounds like NAFTA:

Robert Rubin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-28-2010, 11:43 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,460,550 times
Meanwhile, in terms of changing the policy .....

Graham Pulls Support for Major Senate Climate Bill - NYTimes.com
In a move that may derail a comprehensive climate change and energy bill in the Senate, one of the measure’s central architects, Senator Lindsey Graham, has issued an angry protest over what he says are Democratic plans to give priority to a debate over immigration policy.

Mr. Graham said that any Senate debate on the highly charged subject of illegal immigration would make it impossible to deal with the difficult issues involved in national energy and global warming policy.

He said in his letter that energy must come first and that Democrats appeared to be rushing to take up immigration because of rising anti-immigrant sentiment, including a harsh new measure signed into law in Arizona on Friday.

“Moving forward on immigration — in this hurried, panicked manner — is nothing more than a cynical political ploy,” Mr. Graham said. “I know from my own personal experience the tremendous amounts of time, energy and effort that must be devoted to this issue to make even limited progress.”
Sounds to me like the Democrats want to take up the immigration issue, but the good Senator has trouble multi-tasking (i.e., walking and chewing gum at the same time).

Old 04-28-2010, 12:02 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,923,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Meanwhile, in terms of changing the policy .....

Graham Pulls Support for Major Senate Climate Bill - NYTimes.com
In a move that may derail a comprehensive climate change and energy bill in the Senate, one of the measure’s central architects, Senator Lindsey Graham, has issued an angry protest over what he says are Democratic plans to give priority to a debate over immigration policy.

Mr. Graham said that any Senate debate on the highly charged subject of illegal immigration would make it impossible to deal with the difficult issues involved in national energy and global warming policy.

He said in his letter that energy must come first and that Democrats appeared to be rushing to take up immigration because of rising anti-immigrant sentiment, including a harsh new measure signed into law in Arizona on Friday.

“Moving forward on immigration — in this hurried, panicked manner — is nothing more than a cynical political ploy,” Mr. Graham said. “I know from my own personal experience the tremendous amounts of time, energy and effort that must be devoted to this issue to make even limited progress.”
Sounds to me like the Democrats want to take up the immigration issue, but the good Senator has trouble multi-tasking (i.e., walking and chewing gum at the same time).
I thought the President was supposed to have a laser focus on jobs right now. What's with all of this immigration and energy talk?

Old 04-28-2010, 12:05 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,911,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
we have a 2 front war. We'd have to expand the defense budget and possibly re-enact the draft in order to militarize the border.
nonsense...!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration