Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 06:19 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,183,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpayaso View Post
By on the street, do you mean in front of your computer on forums that the majority of Americans don't even glance at?

That "us Americans" language is played out. You've been told this before.
Many, many Americans who belong here as much as you do would tell you to take a hike with your own extremist views.
People whom I have spoken with in the real world----------NOT Internet Forums. If anything; I am now finding myself defending American Hispanics (NOT illegal aliens) from derogatory slurs when I am having conversations with even 'ethnic' Anglos i.e. Italians, Greeks, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 06:33 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,300,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguer View Post
<< the sound of the world's smallest violin playing tear jerker music >>
It's playing for you.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:52 PM

313 posts, read 344,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
People whom I have spoken with in the real world----------NOT Internet Forums. If anything; I am now finding myself defending American Hispanics (NOT illegal aliens) from derogatory slurs when I am having conversations with even 'ethnic' Anglos i.e. Italians, Greeks, etc.
haha, BS. Your reputation for criticizing Hispanic culture contradicts this anecdote of yours.

And funny how you predicted people would hate Latinos(not illegals), and now you're our champion? Nice try. That's actually pretty funny.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:17 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,183,508 times
Quote:
haha, BS. Your reputation for criticizing Hispanic culture contradicts this anecdote of yours.

And funny how you predicted people would hate Latinos(not illegals), and now you're our champion? Nice try. That's actually pretty funny.
I am hostile towards many aspects of Hispanic culture; especially the inherent lack of respect for the Rule of Law that way too many Latinos exhibit once here. That stated: my hostility does not extend to true blue Americans (or Latinos who stay in their own nations) that are branded 'Hispanic' by our government.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:24 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,153,279 times
Quote:
And by respect, you mean never show disagreement or question them. And you're right, he does need to be locked up for a while for speaking out against the government. In a scary jail we have for political opponents. Let's call it a GULAG or something...just to be more intimidating.

Castro could use a guy like you.
Like i SAID "IT DONT MEAN DIDLY SQUAT'lol

Old 05-02-2010, 09:48 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,158,804 times
Quote:
I didn't know you were there. Lots of opportunistic vendors show up to the rallies. They sell bacon wrapped hot dogs, churros, paletas, and various flags.

American or Mexican flags "por un dollar". Even when purchased, there weren't NEARLY as many Mexican flags as there were Americans. Some people purchased a bulk and handed them out for free to people who happily waved them and handed them to their kids. For people who "hate America", they are pretty disciplined in hiding that hate long enough to enthusiastically wave the flag all day.

It's quite a sight to see these little kids excited to be at this peaceful rally where everyone's waving an American flag. The kids, innocent, and wanting to join in the fun, proudly wave their own flag their parent handed to them. I can't remember when I've seen an American kid that enthusiastic to wave an American flag, even if they don't quite understand what its about right now.

It's a shame how these great events are distorted by the people who aren't even there. A real shame. I've never been prouder, and been able to appreciate being an American as much as I have when at these events.

Lots of political grandstanding, but among the people, also a genuine, positive sense of community among immigrants and Americans alike...mostly Hispanic, but also white, Asians, and Blacks. It's heartbreaking when the media depicts it in a different light, and infuriating when people online who weren't even there manage to take something so good, and twist it to their demented agenda, in the constant attempt to discredit and demonize these people.

There's a lot of heart in these marches, people really fighting for what they believe in. I haven't seen an anti-illegal march that has had that same sense of unity and positive vibe. The pro-reform people march for what they believe is right, even the illegals, they march for themselves. Everybody's marching for something.

The other side is fighting AGAINST something.

It's too bad those few pictures of people with extremists signs or otherwise negative images will be used to tarnish the actual event.
You're right, I wasn't there...I actually flipped around on a few local channels to see the protests and did see that they were peaceful. I didn't say they weren't.

My problem is that they are not being organized by people who have these marcher's best interests at heart.

Those people carrying signs in support of the Democratic party? The same Democratic party whose leader Obama just said yesterday that immigration reform won't be done this year (uh...it's only May) because Congress doesn't want to get in the mud? Not wanting to get into the mud is the exact reason why Arizona is willing to get in the mud and make things ugly. Most Americans WANT immigration reform...they didn't want the health care bill...yet Congress wasn't afraid to get in the mud for that.

The unions who will fight tooth and nail against illegal immigration because it drives down the cost of labor and allows people to actually work their butts off, but now suddenly they're marching right along?

Everyone wants to rally the base to vote against the "racists", yet I can't figure out what's worse for the Hispanic community...those who are racists or those who are opportunists. At least with the racists, you know where you stand. With the opportunists, they're selling you American flags and trying to get you to support a party who has no interest in making your life easier...they want your vote.

As for being proud of your country...I'm glad you are. I'm glad the little kids are too. I don't even care if there are Mexican flags and believe me, you would be hardpressed to see any negative media attention of any of these rallies. I watched because I was curious...I have family who are Mexican American AND living in Arizona...I understand the issue but I just can't, for the life of me, figure out why one side pretends to take the high road when clearly they have no intention of doing anything to solve the problem for that little kid waving an American flag. Burying their head in the sand is much easier in Washington.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
You're right, I wasn't there...I actually flipped around on a few local channels to see the protests and did see that they were peaceful. I didn't say they weren't.

My problem is that they are not being organized by people who have these marcher's best interests at heart.

Those people carrying signs in support of the Democratic party? The same Democratic party whose leader Obama just said yesterday that immigration reform won't be done this year (uh...it's only May) because Congress doesn't want to get in the mud?

The unions who will fight tooth and nail against illegal immigration because it drives down the cost of labor and allows people to actually work their butts off?

Everyone wants to rally the base to vote against the "racists", yet I can't figure out what's worse for the Hispanic community...those who are racists or those who are opportunists. At least with the racists, you know where you stand. With the opportunists, they're selling you American flags and trying to get you to support a party who has no interest in making your life easier...they want your vote.
All politicians are opportunists, and both sides are using the immigrants/illegals for their own interests.

The democrats are speaking out for immigration reform to gain Latino and minority support.

The republicans are speaking out for harsher laws to gain conservative, anti-illegal support.

Democrats are trying to cater to the Hispanic population(citizen or potential future citizen), the Republicans have been wishy washy, but have chosen to throw the Hispanics under the bus for votes.

They're both out for votes, but what they're doing with the middleman is the difference. Illegals are middlemen between American big business and the American workers.

The corporations and employers are screwing over Americans and Mexicans alike. There is no border in that sense. And in that sense, the illegal is being used as a scapegoat by the party that benefits the most from illegal immigrants.

It's a win-win for the Republicans. Capitalism thrives by exporting work for cheap, and importing work for cheap(illegals). At the same time, they promote laws that are harsh against the illegals they thrive off of, giving the appearance that they are anti-illegal immigration.

Meanwhile, we cheer when they bust 30 illegal immigrants in Arizona, and start heading in a scary direction of how much power we're giving our law enforcement.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:12 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,158,804 times
Quote:
The democrats are speaking out for immigration reform to gain Latino and minority support.
You seem to still believe that Democrats "speaking out on immigration reform" means a darn thing. I can "speak out" about stuff all day. Action, not words matter in politics. The actions of both parties is horrible...neither side has any intention of making the Hispanic community's life better and it's in the best interest of the Democrats NOT to make their lives better, because according to the Pew Research Center who studied the Hispanic community, Hispanics who make more than $50,000 per year and read up on the issues are more likely to vote for the Republicans.

http://pewhispanic.org/files/reports/83.pdf (it's on page 9)

Republicans do better with Latino registered voters whose household incomes are above $50,000. Republicans also do better among registered Hispanic voters who say they are following the presidential race very closely than among those who say they aren’t.

BTW, I'm a registered Independent because I think both parties are a joke but I find it alarming that so many at these rallies are pledging blind allegiance to a party that does nothing for them but talk talk talk.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:08 AM

563 posts, read 519,619 times
I had a good laugh this morning. My father in law is against the new Arizona Law. I love it and wish the other states would adopt it. Especially here in Florida and get rid of the wet foot dry foot rule.

Gloria Estefan was interviewed and thinks the term "Undocumented Immigrants" should be banned that they are not criminals. WOW. REALLY?

They sneak into the country illegally which then constitutes criminals. I still think they should be rounded up, brought onto a boat and personally delivered back to their governments first hand.

As soon as I heard the first person say boycott Arizona, I then changed my upcoming vacation plans and plan on taking an extra 2 or 3 days and will be staying in Arizona. I would love to see this come down to Florida.

Cry profiling all you want. If you are here legally, you have nothing to worry about. There is a very nice lady from Cuba that attends my father in laws church (he is a preacher), who is probably in her 60's or 70's who came here the legal way and is ashamed of the younger generation from her country. She will not even say she is Cuban because she is offended by them.

They (meaning ALL illegals) demand everything once they are here. We should have signs in Spanish for them and they should be tax free and be given housing when we can't house our own.

I don't know....when I went on a cruise to Mexico, we were told to have our passports and/or birth certificates so we can show that we are in the country legally. We do not get special treatment when in their country; why should they get it here.

UNDOCUMENTED IMMIGRANTS -- Another burden on Americans!!!!

Old 05-03-2010, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Storm View Post
I had a good laugh this morning. My father in law is against the new Arizona Law. I love it and wish the other states would adopt it. Especially here in Florida and get rid of the wet foot dry foot rule.

Gloria Estefan was interviewed and thinks the term "Undocumented Immigrants" should be banned that they are not criminals. WOW. REALLY?

They sneak into the country illegally which then constitutes criminals. I still think they should be rounded up, brought onto a boat and personally delivered back to their governments first hand.

As soon as I heard the first person say boycott Arizona, I then changed my upcoming vacation plans and plan on taking an extra 2 or 3 days and will be staying in Arizona. I would love to see this come down to Florida.

Cry profiling all you want. If you are here legally, you have nothing to worry about. There is a very nice lady from Cuba that attends my father in laws church (he is a preacher), who is probably in her 60's or 70's who came here the legal way and is ashamed of the younger generation from her country. She will not even say she is Cuban because she is offended by them.

They (meaning ALL illegals) demand everything once they are here. We should have signs in Spanish for them and they should be tax free and be given housing when we can't house our own.

I don't know....when I went on a cruise to Mexico, we were told to have our passports and/or birth certificates so we can show that we are in the country legally. We do not get special treatment when in their country; why should they get it here.

UNDOCUMENTED IMMIGRANTS -- Another burden on Americans!!!!
I don't think you understand very much about this bill, or very much about your constitutional rights. You don't need for it to come to Florida. You can just take a boat out to Cuba.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration