Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 10:58 PM

317 posts, read 405,879 times

Advertisements

Seems like a double standard. If you come from Cuba you are granted automatic residency, but if you come from other countries you need to have the proper documentation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 11:04 PM

111 posts, read 132,761 times
I really have no idea why the U.S still has this agreement with the Cubans. It really is a double-standard as technically you can be deported if you haven't touched land. Ironically, Mexico has deported Cubans back to Cuba, these same cubans were making their way to the U.S.

Source

Old 05-04-2010, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juced View Post
I really have no idea why the U.S still has this agreement with the Cubans. It really is a double-standard as technically you can be deported if you haven't touched land. Ironically, Mexico has deported Cubans back to Cuba, these same cubans were making their way to the U.S.

Source
The second they touch land they are granted asylum. Why would a Cuban go the the US through Mexico, makes no sense. Why would Mexico allow them in only to deport them. Sounds fishy to me.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbiggleswurth View Post
The second they touch land they are granted asylum. Why would a Cuban go the the US through Mexico, makes no sense. Why would Mexico allow them in only to deport them. Sounds fishy to me.
Did you read the article? Mexico is not necessarily allowing them in.

Quote:
Mexico can still grant asylum on a case-by-case basis to migrants, but the accord contained no specific guarantees that those returned to Cuba would not face reprisals. Both countries can reserve the right to deny entry to anyone it sees as a security risk.

Why would they go through Mexico?

Quote:
Cuban migrants in recent years have increasingly headed for Mexico — often to the coast near Cancun — then overland to Texas because it has become so hard to dodge the U.S. Coast Guard and reach Florida to qualify for U.S. residency.

Old 05-05-2010, 02:32 AM

2,438 posts, read 7,025,821 times
Quote:
Why would a Cuban go the the US through Mexico, makes no sense.
Quote:
Why would they go through Mexico?
Becuase Cubans can get a cheap, direct flight to Mexico and access the US by land. As soon as they hop the border they are Americans!

Would you rather access a place on a flimsy raft in shark-infested waters or would you rather hop over a fence?

Old 05-05-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Becuase Cubans can get a cheap, direct flight to Mexico and access the US by land. As soon as they hop the border they are Americans!

Would you rather access a place on a flimsy raft in shark-infested waters or would you rather hop over a fence?
Right and they outlined that in the article, as I posted previously:

Quote:
Cuban migrants in recent years have increasingly headed for Mexico — often to the coast near Cancun — then overland to Texas because it has become so hard to dodge the U.S. Coast Guard and reach Florida to qualify for U.S. residency.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:04 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,048,134 times
Quote:
Seems like a double standard. If you come from Cuba you are granted automatic residency, but if you come from other countries you need to have the proper documentation.
It is a relic from the Cold War and Florida's swing state status that keeps it in place.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:05 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,457,090 times
Quote:
It's easier to get permission from Cuban authorities to travel to Mexico than to travel to the U.S. so some try to use that is a gateway into the U.S. The owners of a nearby restaurant spent almost 20 years trying to get their daughter* out of Cuba. Ultimately, that's how they did it.

* BTW, she's hot...

Old 05-05-2010, 10:36 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,653,213 times
Quote:

Source
As long as a Castro rules Cuba and it remains a Communist country, Cubans will be granted asylum and legal status. Many of the early rafters ended up in the Bahamas and Mexico. Many of course never made it anywhere. Mexico and the Bahamas sent some back unless the US interceded, which it did specifically with the Bahamas.

And as of when I still lived there 4 years ago, many who did not touch land were allowed to stay if they had family in the US and no criminal record.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
As long as a Castro rules Cuba and it remains a Communist country, Cubans will be granted asylum and legal status. Many of the early rafters ended up in the Bahamas and Mexico. Many of course never made it anywhere. Mexico and the Bahamas sent some back unless the US interceded, which it did specifically with the Bahamas.

And as of when I still lived there 4 years ago, many who did not touch land were allowed to stay if they had family in the US and no criminal record.
Fidel no longer rules cuba.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration