Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2010, 05:22 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Rumors circulate of an immigration raid at Cinco de Mayo festivities. Markets normally bustling with customers preparing for the celebration are quiet. Family picnics are scaled back.

Many Hispanics in Arizona - both legal and illegal - are increasingly anxious about being targeted under the state's tough anti-illegal immigration law. Some are afraid to leave their homes, even on the day when the nation celebrates Hispanic heritage.
Fear of a raid dampens Cinco de Mayo in Arizona

I feel bad for the legal Latinos but; since too many of them support their illegal brethren..........such is life. Although in all fairness; since so many illegals are indeed boneheads, LE can pick 'em out pretty quickly and leave a (probable) American Hispanic alone.

BTW: I live near a heavily Hispanic area and; since SH1070 was signed into law; the numbers of cars and trucks with they Godawful booming stereos have all but disappeared
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 05:31 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,030,764 times
who would have thought a law like this would have so much affect on illegals so fast. every state should have a similar law heck even a federal one, oh yeah we do have a federal one

Old 05-05-2010, 05:32 PM

2,205 posts, read 2,536,684 times
AZ, I bet it's a very nice eve around there these nights. The response shows this law is working. I'm also not sure I support the celebration of Cinco Me Mayo now that I am learning it's meaning. It's not mexican heritage from what I understand.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:39 PM

Here:

Battle of Puebla - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kind of like the same mentality today.

Added: (because obviously even those who advocate for hispanics fail to understand their holidays)

Although the European intervention was slowed by their loss at Puebla, the invasion continued and was ultimately successful. The following year, French forces captured the capital of Mexico City, forcing Juárez's government into exile in northern Mexico, and the Austrian Archduke Maximilian became ruler of the short-lived Second Mexican Empire.

On September 16, 1862, President Juárez declared that the anniversary of the Battle of Puebla would be a national holiday[SIZE=3][citation needed][/SIZE], regarded as "Battle of Puebla Day" or "Battle of Cinco de Mayo". Although today it is recognized in some countries as a day of Mexican heritage celebration, it is not a federal holiday in Mexico.[SIZE=3][1][/SIZE] A common misconception in the United States is that Cinco de Mayo is Mexico's Independence Day,[SIZE=3][2][/SIZE] the most important national patriotic holiday in Mexico.[SIZE=3][3][/SIZE] Grito de Dolores (Mexico's Independence Day) falls on September 16 (dieciséis de septiembre in Spanish),[SIZE=3][4][/SIZE]

Old 05-05-2010, 07:10 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,871,765 times
Criminals should live in fear. You know something is seriously wrong when they live without fear.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:14 PM

Collectively, they don't, they hide amongst themselves. Singled out, yep, they quake.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:22 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,090,222 times
Hopefully the illegals will be in enough fear to go back home. Legal residents have nothing to fear so they are playing the sympathy game. Possibly they are harboring their illegal relatives?

Old 05-05-2010, 08:31 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getout View Post
Collectively, they don't, they hide amongst themselves. Singled out, yep, they quake.
Well; I live near a heavily Hispanic enclave here and there was virtually no Mariachi, etc. music to be heard today (May 5th AKA Cinco de Mayo)----------the probable illegal aliens around here are petrified as a group and are scattering as we speak.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:49 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Fear of a raid dampens Cinco de Mayo in Arizona

I feel bad for the legal Latinos but; since too many of them support their illegal brethren..........such is life. Although in all fairness; since so many illegals are indeed boneheads, LE can pick 'em out pretty quickly and leave a (probable) American Hispanic alone.

BTW: I live near a heavily Hispanic area and; since SH1070 was signed into law; the numbers of cars and trucks with they Godawful booming stereos have all but disappeared
My neighborhood is eerily quiet as well. We are at least 50% Hispanic in my neighborhood and it's been that way most of my life. We've always been able to cohabit peacefully. The apartment complex behind me is mostly Hispanic and they are well known for their partys. It's really quiet so far. Could be they are partying elsewhere... Our fairgrounds are not far from me and I CAN hear activity there so maybe everyone there. Also it's midweek so maybe they decided to wait till the weekend. Guess I'll find out.

Ooops! Spoke too soon. I hear somebody's bass tuning up! They better not drown out American Idol!!!! Or I will..... lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration