Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 05:11 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,668,019 times

Advertisements

im personally against these boycotts. i think they are ridiculous.
lots of groups have been canceling hotel and convention reservations. lots of people losing jobs and money.

who do they think they are really hurting? the legislators? NO! they are probably hurting poor low level workers the most. those housekeeping staff (who just might be illegals or poor immigrants). the janitors. the coffee shop workers.

if they really want to put pressure on AZ, they should go at the politicians, not the people.

its just as misguided as the az law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 05:54 PM

353 posts, read 657,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
lots of groups have been canceling hotel and convention reservations. lots of people losing jobs and money.

who do they think they are really hurting? the legislators? NO! they are probably hurting poor low level workers the most. those housekeeping staff (who just might be illegals or poor immigrants). the janitors. the coffee shop workers.

if they really want to put pressure on AZ, they should go at the politicians, not the people.

Thank you.

I'm dead set against this law. It was crafted by a bunch of wing nuts from Mesa and signed by an un elected governor. At the same time it seems people are taking it out not on the bad law but all Arizonans. Many are against the law and even most who are for it are misguided but not racist. Sadly it seems as if the boycott is meant to punish every single Arizonan. Many good people could be hurt by it even if I understand the reasoning behind it.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:25 PM

346 posts, read 709,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX-PHX View Post
Thank you.

I'm dead set against this law. It was crafted by a bunch of wing nuts from Mesa and signed by an un elected governor. At the same time it seems people are taking it out not on the bad law but all Arizonans. Many are against the law and even most who are for it are misguided but not racist. Sadly it seems as if the boycott is meant to punish every single Arizonan. Many good people could be hurt by it even if I understand the reasoning behind it.
If I may add one thing, but most are actually for this law. 70% of Arizona is for it, and 60% of Americans are for it. Those who are against the law tend to be misguided by the media that portrays this as a nazi Germany law where people can be stopped randomly based on the color of their skin. I have read this law in text, as have others on this forum, and it basically mirrors federal law - and the majority of us here are for it.

But yes, this boycott is ridiculous and will accomplish very little, if anything. Americans behind Arizona shall keep this state afloat.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:39 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,837,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Wow, Americans turning on their fellow Americans to support illegal immigration. What is this country coming to?
who is turning whom to support illegal immigration? Not every bill writen in the name of illegal immigration is a fair, sane, or pratical law. so if someone opposes that type of law, why would that make them a supporter of illegal immigration?

Old 05-12-2010, 07:17 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,322,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
who is turning whom to support illegal immigration? Not every bill writen in the name of illegal immigration is a fair, sane, or pratical law. so if someone opposes that type of law, why would that make them a supporter of illegal immigration?
Except that there is nothing unfair, insane or impractical about this law and isn't affecting the citizens of other states so why boycott another state of your fellow Americans for making their own laws? The only ones objecting are those who are illegal alien advocates.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:02 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,872,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post

You are entirely correct about who they are hurting.It is the poor low level workers and businessess that employ them that are going to be impacted by this.Mostly immigrants at that.This is what political grand standing is all about.They should boycott Janice Hahns face as that really is a sight to be avoided.
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...immigrati.html Go ahead and read the comments posted all 500+ and you will see how the readers truly feel about this issue.It's already backfiring on Los Angeles!Vote Poizner for Cal. Governor!!!!

Last edited by antarez; 05-12-2010 at 10:42 PM.. Reason: added link

Old 05-13-2010, 12:36 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,538,276 times
so when governments in California do stupid things and people across the country call them on it, we hear, "It's not your state so mind your own business". When a state does something that upsets California politicians,...well that's a different matter. I wonder if California politicians are upset that Arizona's decision will lead to Arizona's illegal aliens fleeing to sanctuary cities in California? At that point, the state would really be broke trying to hand out all those social welfare programs to illegal aliens.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:43 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,091,500 times
Let's see. The illegal immigrants cost Arizona over a billion dollars a year. If Arizona gets rid of all the illegal immigrants and their state is safer, more tourist will come, bringing more money into the state. I say Arizona does not need the fruitcake state and will still come out ahead.

Old 05-16-2010, 02:17 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,668,019 times
poizner is garbage. if i cared about one trick ponies i would vote for him. im looking at more than just the candidates stance on 1 issue.

otherwise we agree. the boycott is ridiculous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
You are entirely correct about who they are hurting.It is the poor low level workers and businessess that employ them that are going to be impacted by this.Mostly immigrants at that.This is what political grand standing is all about.They should boycott Janice Hahns face as that really is a sight to be avoided.
L.A. City Council votes to ban travel and future contracts with Arizona because of tough new immigration law | L.A. NOW | Los Angeles Times Go ahead and read the comments posted all 500+ and you will see how the readers truly feel about this issue.It's already backfiring on Los Angeles!Vote Poizner for Cal. Governor!!!!

Old 05-16-2010, 02:25 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
BTW, other city councils in California that have called for a boycott are San Diego city council, Oakland city council just last week and Sacramento city council was going to have a meeting today to make a decision as to approve a boycott of AZ.
The Associated Press: Hopes for budget compromise dim amid Calif deficit

More and more all California can do is send IOUs.

Maybe the CA politicians ought to start minding their own jobs and then maybe California wouldn't be facing such budget crises.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration