Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 11:58 AM

50,429 posts, read 47,155,129 times

Advertisements

Some in Arizona canceling trips to S.D. - SignOnSanDiego.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 02:59 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,775,172 times
Thats great, means less traffic, and crowds at the beaches for all of us. If they can't get passed the politics regarding this issue, then thats their problem. SD gets tourist all year around from all across the country, summer months are the busiest, so I wouldn't worry about a few Zonies that have beef against the city for doing what they did, since we'll get a ton of tourist from NV and up north in LA.

If they don't like it, oh well that's all I have to say. They might as well not even come to California ever again, since just about every city in CA has voiced opposition towards Arizona's racist law. Where are all those Zonies that want to escape the heat going to go now?

Maybe up north into Canada Sounds like a great plan to me

(To the Zonies that can overlook your states out of place measures on the illegal immigration law, I welcome you)

Old 05-14-2010, 03:19 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,156,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post

If they don't like it, oh well that's all I have to say. They might as well not even come to California ever again, since just about every city in CA has voiced opposition towards Arizona's racist law.
Public opinion polls are strongly on the side of Arizona. And even some of those who oppose the law, also oppose municipal governments engaging in silly boycotts instead of working on real issues. (By the way, it seems that those boycotts are, in fact, illegal, unlike the Arizona law.)

http://opinion.latimes.com/opinionla...tion-poll.html (click on "view results")

It's just that we have strange, very strange politicians running city and school board governments.

Also, Arizona's law is not racist. At least no more than our whole federal immigration system that considers large numbers of primarily hispanic residents of the country to be criminals.

Personally, I'm considering a trip to Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, and Four Corners. Unfortunately, despite all the talk of boycotts, most Grand Canyon hotels appear to be sold out two to four months in advance.

Old 05-14-2010, 03:38 PM

124 posts, read 369,372 times
The facts can't be ignored: the overwhelming majority of Americans want a secure border. And the law that Arizona passed is not racist at all. If you actually knew the law, you'd know that it included an amendment stating that people cannot be asked to show papers solely on the base of race.

Moreover, our current federal law against illegal immigration is essentially the same as Arizona's law. The problem is: the law hasn't been enforced.

I am so sick of liberal apologists screaming racism. If we had white Canadians pouring across our border to the north illegally, do you think there would be nearly as much opposition to securing the border and cracking down on illegals? I didn't think so.

Moreover, I don't know whether to laugh or cry about the hipocrisy of Mexico. Mexican diplomats have called for leniency when it comes to illegals crossing into the U.S. Yet Mexico has some of the strictest illegal immigration laws in the world. Under Mexican law, it is a felony to be there illegally. Annually, Mexico deports more illegals than the U.S.

No, the real issue here is greed. Greed on the part of the Republicans for wanting cheap labor and greed on the part of the Democrats for wanting to increase their voting base because they view Mexicans as shue-in loyal Democrats.

Once again, who gets the raw end of the deal here? The average American taxpayer. I am conservative, but I am so tired of the blatant corruption and contempt for the will of the American people from both sides of the aisle.

We need to throw all the bums out. This November, vote like you mean it. Each vote counts. Vote the incumbents out!

Old 05-14-2010, 04:03 PM

108 posts, read 386,489 times
you know I'm tired of hearing about tax dollars going towards benefits for illegal immigrants. i'm tired of my tax dollars going to a lot of things, but we don't get to choose where our money goes. if people weren't upset about illegal immigrants then they would find something else to complain about. this world will never be perfect

i'm an independent thinker, i don't agree on labels
we should not vote for people but for ideas
anything that is going to effect the majority of Americans should be voted on by
the public not by a bunch of fake people, that have their own intrests in mind,that are suppose to represent us

Old 05-14-2010, 04:47 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,858,154 times
It doesn't matter if it's "racist" or not, because as a matter of law, it's unconstitutional. Immigration is the sole domain of the federal government, not the individual states. States cannot pass laws that seek to regulate a field that is already occupied by the federal government.
So it's only a matter of time before this law is found in violation of separation of powers, before there is ever a debate about whether it violates the due process clause, equal protection, or anything else.

Old 05-14-2010, 05:11 PM

108 posts, read 386,489 times
one more thing
i just found this
The Buzz Log - YouCut Creates Curiosity on Web - Yahoo! Buzz

i think that is a great idea (i think this is one of the few times I have agreed with a "republican")

Old 05-14-2010, 05:25 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,580,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
Thats great, means less traffic, and crowds at the beaches for all of us. If they can't get passed the politics regarding this issue, then thats their problem. SD gets tourist all year around from all across the country, summer months are the busiest, so I wouldn't worry about a few Zonies that have beef against the city for doing what they did, since we'll get a ton of tourist from NV and up north in LA.

If they don't like it, oh well that's all I have to say. They might as well not even come to California ever again, since just about every city in CA has voiced opposition towards Arizona's racist law. Where are all those Zonies that want to escape the heat going to go now?

Maybe up north into Canada Sounds like a great plan to me

(To the Zonies that can overlook your states out of place measures on the illegal immigration law, I welcome you)
And of course I have to agree with you.Always do buddy.

Old 05-14-2010, 05:25 PM

My view on this is, what does part of the job description of Sheila Jackson's job, or Donna Frye's job does it say they can spend time and money "voting" on something in another State? We have no problems here in SD? They have spare time to avoid the pension mess, potholes and whether or not we can afford a new downtown Library?
Someone in the private sector would have been canned if they were caught doing something like this at work.

Old 05-14-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jksouthbay88 View Post
And of course I have to agree with you.Always do buddy.
That money goes straight into the general coffers, or should I say "won't" now. But I'm sure you guys already knew that. We cannot afford to lose jobs or money in this economy.

Maybe they need to "vote" on what's going on in Palestine? Come on, they need to do their "jobs" and quit worrying about what their lil two cents worth DOESN'T account for.

If they start cutting Teacher head count for lack of funds they can thank their own leaders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration