Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The 14th amendment be...
Totally eliminated like Prohibition was. 4 9.52%
Modified to correct the anchor baby loophole 28 66.67%
Leave it alone 10 23.81%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 02:24 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,842,119 times

Advertisements

I dont understand how "convient patriots" are always comparing the US to some other countries...America is unique and stands alone in the world.

for all those that want laws "like other countries" go live in those other countries.

The 14th will not be amended for immigration purposes anytime soon. Absolutely will not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 03:19 PM

787 posts, read 1,945,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Most countries ban birthright citizenship because of security threats and because of unbearable costs which take invaluable resources and burden federal, state and local budgets and taxpayers.U.S. Representative Nathan Deal of Georgia, who introduced H.R. 1868 to ban automatic birthright citizenship, stated that the United States is the largest of only 33 countries in the world that grant automatic birthright citizenship to children of illegal aliens and temporary visitors, while 122 countries do not.

To reiterate, 122 COUNTRIES DO NOT GRANT AUTOMATIC BIRTHRIGHT CITIZENSHIP compared to 33 that do.

Oh I get it...we should base our laws on what other countries do. Sounds like an international conspiracy to me.

Are you for eliminating the death penalty because the vast majority of industrialized nations have abolished it?

Old 05-23-2010, 03:23 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,336,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal35 View Post
Oh I get it...we should base our laws on what other countries do. Sounds like an international conspiracy to me.

Are you for eliminating the death penalty because the vast majority of industrialized nations have abolished it?
No, I am for eliminating birthright citizenship because it makes sense and giving citizen to babies born from illegals was not the intent of the writers of that amendment. Look where we are today because of this bad interpretation of the 14th. The abuse and the expense of it is astounding. You are being ridiculous now comparing it to eliminating the death penalty. Oh well, no one ever said that the pro-illegals weren't an irrational and desperate lot.

Old 05-23-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
I dont understand how "convient patriots" are always comparing the US to some other countries...America is unique and stands alone in the world.

for all those that want laws "like other countries" go live in those other countries.

The 14th will not be amended for immigration purposes anytime soon. Absolutely will not.
We may be unique but that doesn't mean we have to be stupid also. The birthright citizenship fiasco will be addressed and soon and rightly so.

Old 05-23-2010, 04:57 PM

787 posts, read 1,945,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
No, I am for eliminating birthright citizenship because it makes sense and giving citizen to babies born from illegals was not the intent of the writers of that amendment. Look where we are today because of this bad interpretation of the 14th. The abuse and the expense of it is astounding. You are being ridiculous now comparing it to eliminating the death penalty. Oh well, no one ever said that the pro-illegals weren't an irrational and desperate lot.

Look buddy...you are the one you used the argument that x number of countries do NOT give birth rights and by implication the US should follow suit.

Do not try to turn the argument back on me by claiming my death penalty claim was ridiculous. I am NOT making that argument....just pointing out the flaw in YOUR logic.

Again, I am NOT pro-illegal. You LOVE to jump to conclusions. In a prior post, you ASSUMED I was Latino (I am NOT)...presumably because I don't express hatred for illegal aliens.

Old 05-23-2010, 05:07 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,281,621 times
Im not for illegal immigrants; I want them to go through citizenship the correct way, by getting a visa or similar, working here, paying taxes and go through the naturalization process. My best friend did it, her family did it and they are all the more happy because of it.

What I find hilarious is that I find those who were once immigrants and have gained citizenship lawfully and legally, have a more patriotic sense to America, than those who were born here, who show nothing more than hateful remarks and racism against immigrants in general.

Any amendment to the 14th would turn the country into turmoil. where people who were once on the way to becoming a citizen can now no longer qualify.

Old 05-23-2010, 05:18 PM

50,479 posts, read 47,238,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
huh? 33 nations in the world allow birthright citizenship

Jus Soli
* Antigua and Barbuda
* Argentina
* Barbados
* Belize
* Bolivia
* Brazil
* Canada
* Chile
* Colombia
* Dominica
* Dominican Republic
* Ecuador
* El Salvador
* Fiji
* Grenada
* Guatemala
* Guyana
* Honduras
* Jamaica
* Lesotho
* Malaysia
* Mexico
* Nicaragua
* Pakistan
* Panama
* Paraguay
* Peru
* Saint Christopher and Nevis
* Saint Lucia
* Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
* Trinidad and Tobago
* United States
* Uruguay
* Venezuela

These countries operate on a modified form of Jus Soli (requirement that the parent who may be foreign, has lived in the country for a time, or become a permanent resident - note, nothing about being illegal in the country; only that they are in the country and living there for a time):

* United Kingdom
* Australia
* Republic of Ireland
* New Zealand
* South Africa
* France

Lots of industrialized countries in this list.
Vast majority != equal "lots". Many of those Countries have people trying to escape not immigrate to. No comparison.

Old 05-23-2010, 05:49 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,250,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Why would it be eliminated? it can be "amended" if it is done by the terms outlined in the Constitution. The Constutition is a living document [not set in stone]. The 14th will be amended if the people want it to be.
Well said. It is an amendment. In other words an add on or modification to the constitution. We need to modify it so that it can not be misused and abused.

Old 05-23-2010, 06:13 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,281,621 times
its a good thing that most people do not want it amended (sorry this forum is not representative of the US)

Old 05-23-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
its a good thing that most people do not want it amended (sorry this forum is not representative of the US)
You have proof of that? If so, please provide it other than your mere opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration