Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 12:30 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,226,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0ngvu View Post
man, Doesnt matter when I walk or drive, I always carry my ID with me including the mini passport card . I do not see any hassle, it just like another credit card you have in your wallet. Why is it so hard to carry your own identification card? to answer that: because they have none.
How do you feel about the government reading your emails? Reading your bank accounts? Listening to your telephone conservations? Monitoring where you spend your money, what restaurants you go to, what books you read, what music you listen to. None of this will cost you any effort. Do you have a problem with the Obama administation doing this? What about the Bush administration doing this?

Old 05-24-2010, 12:35 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,817,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbiggleswurth View Post
Anyone not carrying proof of legal residency or citizenship will be detained, or possibly be arrested, and turned over to immigration officials. The proof of residency may be in the form of a drivers license, passport, etc.. The only time an officer may request this proof is when they stop you for another reason, such as jaywalking or pointing your finger at a drunk who has made a sexual pass at your 14 year old daughter and warning him he might get hurt.

If you don't plan on breaking laws you don't need to carry papers at all times.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:43 PM

358 posts, read 395,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdencaulfield View Post
How do you feel about the government reading your emails? Reading your bank accounts? Listening to your telephone conservations? Monitoring where you spend your money, what restaurants you go to, what books you read, what music you listen to. None of this will cost you any effort. Do you have a problem with the Obama administation doing this? What about the Bush administration doing this?
How are we supposed to identify criminals then? what you are suggesting is anarchy..lol... what does showing ID have to do with the government reading your e-mails? that statement is very flawed, and the analogy you attempt to present would only catch the interest of ignorant readers. There are privacy laws to protect our personal life from intrusion, but if you commit a crime you forfeit those rights. Not to mention why do people breaking the law (Read: Illegal Immigrants) have the same rights as Americans? could you please clarify that statement.. it really makes 0 sense to me.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:16 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,430,172 times
If you are a legal immigrant or foreign visitor, you are already supposed to carry "papers" at all times, pursuant to federal law.

If you are a citizen (immigrant or non), you're chances of being grilled to the point of being carted away on suspicion of being an illegal will go up drastically if you cannot produce things like a valid ID, a passport, do not know English, can't describe where you live or who you live with, how long you've been in the country or where you come from..... if any of the foregoing is your situation, then I would suggest carrying ID at all times.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:43 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,330,892 times
Quote:
What does any of that have to do with illegal immigration?

Old 05-24-2010, 02:49 PM

8,581 posts, read 11,003,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbiggleswurth View Post
Only when I'm driving, which is not every day. I often take the train, bus, bike, walk, or ride as a passenger. If I go for a jog, I don't take my drivers license, what the hell for? Is there license to jog?
Carrying your ID , even when jogging could turn out too be very important.
If you suddenly had a heart attack when jogging, the officials not only want to identify you, but notify your family as well.
Without Id, how would they know who to notify?
If you had a roommate, with your ID they could go there and inform those living with you.
It is important to carry some form of ID no matter where you are.
Bob.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:02 PM

76 posts, read 84,094 times
Quote:

I do not see how the government looking into your privacy info in any immigration laws/bills at all. I believe your explanations are not related or have anything to do with the illegal immigrations. This TOTALLY is a different issue. I guess you are not understand or read the laws just like many other protesters. PEOPLE READ THE DARN THING....

Just like now, you ran the red light, you have to present your proof of insurance and driver license to the police officer. Nothing is new.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:07 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,226,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
If you suddenly had a heart attack when jogging, the officials not only want to identify you, but notify your family as well.
If you had a roommate, with your ID they could go there and inform those living with you.
Bob.
Does that mean it should be mandatory and the punishment for not carrying it should be detainment? In a free country you have a right to live your life in anonymity if you please. Freedom, I love it.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:16 PM

76 posts, read 84,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Bob.

One time, my buddy went for jogging at a park and twisted his ankle badly. He was about 2 miles away from home. He did not have his wallet or anything with him except his tiny MP3 Player and the headset. Guess what, he could not walk home. Since he had nothing, he could not make a phone call or buy a bus ticket. He then asked the bus driver if he can get a ride to 3rd stops which is in front of his apt. The bus driver rejected him because he could not prove he lives very close to the very next 3 stops.
He sat there for 4 hours before someone nice enough gave him a lift to his home.

That's why we call it IDENTIFICATION. Some people just don't get this.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:18 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,330,892 times
Quote:
Does that mean it should be mandatory and the punishment for not carrying it should be detainment? In a free country you have a right to live your life in anonymity if you please. Freedom, I love it.
The only way your I.D. would be asked for by LE is if you have committed a crime or are suspected of it. How many crimes do you commit to be so worried about it? Otherwise there is no "mandate" other than a DL while driving a car. You are again grasping at straws and making a mountain out of a molehill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration