Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 03:47 PM

1 posts, read 6,153 times

Advertisements

i live in alton,il i have been here about 3 months and am struggeling because the job field here is next to nothing for example there is a kohls being built with less then 100 positions and over 500 people applied! so you will be competeing with damn near the whole town for any job that may be.... and i find that the town is not growing rapidly and there is no new industry coming in daily as far as ive seen pretty much if your a biker person with alot of money saved so you can have atleast 6months to find a good job thats worth the pay well i dont know if youll have much luck here an i agree with coldwater native the locals around here dont like people from anywhere else ive tried starting a small buisness and well lets say it was not welcomed at all by any one in the community so to sum it all up ALTON IS NO PLACE FOR ANYONE WHO HASNT LIVED HERE SINCE THE TOWN WAS STARTED that is why im moving but im finding it hard to get outa this town since i cant find a job and what money i had is down the drain trying to make it in this little town driving back and forth from st.louis an many other cities trying to find work because theres none in alton!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 02:38 PM

10 posts, read 43,941 times
I live in Alton and can tell you that is is a great place to live and start a family, I would recommend living in the western part of it because it is nicer, low crime rates, and is cleaner. There are friendly people and historic sties Alton's climate is cold winters, warm springs,humid summers, and cool falls. For the kids there are girl and boy scout troops across the city. There is a park and rec leagues for tennis, baseball, softball, and soccer for all ages. On a scale of 1-10 Alton is a 10.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:36 AM

66 posts, read 261,116 times
Do not move there. Crime is bad and businesses have left or are leaving. While it does have some nice areas, it is generally a dirty run-down area. Do a search on the web ...they have had 2-3 drive-by shootings in the just the last two weeks and it's a smaller town (30K people)! Schools are in bad shape. I hate to be so negative, but I have seen a lot of different areas and Alton is near the bottom of the list. I'm just being honest but it is just my opinion.

Still, don't take my word for it, do some in depth research.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:48 PM

The Catholic Private schools, Saints Peter and Paul, Marquette High School, St. Mary's School, and St. Ambrose are all good schools. S.S.P.P. serves Pre-8th, MCHS 9-12, St. Mary's K-8th, St. Ambrose K-8th. They usually run from August 20 to 2nd to last Friday in May.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:38 PM

OK there seems to be a job shortage but if you can find a good one you are in shape

Old 09-22-2008, 01:34 AM

4 posts, read 10,378 times
I'd say Alton is like most towns of it's size and proximity to a large city. Even if you're in the "boondocks" people can be bad. All in all, Alton is a pretty town...lots of wooded areas and nice homes. Anyone with any sense at all can look at a neighborhood and see if the residents are proud of their home or not. There are "dirty" areas in any town. I have lived in or around Alton for most of my adult life and find nothing wrong with it. I like it and would recommend living there to anyone that enjoys "town living".

Old 09-22-2008, 06:35 PM

1,678 posts, read 2,546,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abushua View Post
I'd say Alton is like most towns of it's size and proximity to a large city. Even if you're in the "boondocks" people can be bad. All in all, Alton is a pretty town...lots of wooded areas and nice homes. Anyone with any sense at all can look at a neighborhood and see if the residents are proud of their home or not. There are "dirty" areas in any town. I have lived in or around Alton for most of my adult life and find nothing wrong with it. I like it and would recommend living there to anyone that enjoys "town living".
Hi abushua...not many have anything nice to say about Alton, I've noticed. But my husband and I are retired, and have thought about moving there from
Southern California. My husband grew up in Alton and has fond memories of living there...he left in the mid '60s. I've asked this question on an Alton thread, but haven't gotten any replies, but do you know why the crime rate is so high in Alton, but so low in Godfrey, when it's right next door? Also, do you know anything about the Surrey Court Apartments on Surrey Ct., Godfrey...or the River Reach Town Home Apartments off Fosterberg Rd., in Godfrey??? Are these nice areas? What areas would you stay away from? Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:01 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
What happened to Alton: They were a heavy industrial and manufacturing town and all of that is gone now, shipped overseas. There are few jobs for the uneducated.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:52 PM

5 posts, read 58,913 times
I personally love Alton. It has a rich history, and you can always find something unique to do, if not in, but very nearby. I live in a smaller town called Wood River, which is about 10 minutes away from Alton. I love Wood River, too; there is hardly any crime whatsoever, and life here is really stable for most. I am 23 and just moved out with my boyfriend to an apartment...but before that, i had lived in the same house my entire life. I am very happy in this area, and wouldn't want to leave it. I love living in such a small town, yet so close to a big city such as St. Louis. Even Chicago is only about 5 hours (if that) away. I went through the Wood River schools from elementary up to High School, where I graduated from East Alton Wood River High, and I loved it. I thought that I got a good education, my classmates were friendly (many of which I went to school with from elementary), and the teachers were awesome. Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville (SIUE) is a very good university, and Lewis and Clark Community College in Godfrey (next to Alton) is VERY respectable. The weather here is fantastic...we have 4 very distinct seasons. There's always something to do, and they are really building the area up! Overall, I would very much recommend living in this area.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:51 AM

2 posts, read 9,400 times
hello i am thinking about moving from texas to alton illinois or some side town outside fot there but i um dont remember the name but is it ok is it boring ? how far on the train to chicago um what else just kind of curious if there is much to do or see .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois