Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2012, 09:00 AM

3 posts, read 2,618 times

Advertisements

Southern Illinois can mean a lot of different things, so let's take into consideration having Marion / Carbondale as the center, and including everything in a 50-75 mile radius around that.

If it came down to you, what would you suggest to improve the quality of life, population, economic and social conditions in Southern Illinois?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 10:14 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,273,634 times
Help yourself. Do not expect it from Springfield.

You will need to raise money.

Encourage integration and fairness.
Discourage racism and people who preach hate.
Energize teachers to use a novel approach to involve students. (two movies do it)
Learn how to effectively lobby Government
Learn how to write a Grant. Use it for Block Grants, Downtown Grants, School Grants.. .
Involve University Students. They have great energy and a global reach
Hold a contest for 10th - Ph.D students to create a new name and a new graphic for the area. Reward: Dinner 4 Four and get two meals donated in exchange for the free publicity.
Create a new website that is actually user friendly.
Learn how and where to promote your area: Blog it, Tweet it. FaceBook.
Create a Visitor and Tourism Board
Dirt and trash does not sell. Neither does KKK.
Do you have a unique annual event with national appeal? If you do not, you need it.
Whatever you do KEEP IT SIMPLE.
You only need one idea to inspire many to a reachable goal. I takes time and hard work.

I can send you links to give you ideas. .

Old 09-03-2012, 11:08 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,409,141 times
Capitalizing on tourism would be the biggest boon for the area. Southern Illinois is arguably the most picturesque and beautiful part of the state. If as many people from the Chicago area went down south for vacations, to have weekend getaways, etc. I think the area would be much better off economically.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:07 PM

14 posts, read 18,665 times
Default Metropolis

I don't know about how it is in Marion / Carbondale, I live in Metropolis, IL and Massac County Taxes are so high that a lot of business and residents move to Paducah, Ky because Metropolis doesn't have any thing to offer based the on high property taxes.

The problem right now is that all of our plants in Metropolis are having major layoffs. Honeywell just laid of 75% of the work force, EEI laid off about 50 people and LaFarge laid of quite a few in the spring. Now I am afraid that a lot of these people are going to move off if they can sell their homes because no one has a job to buy these homes with the high price taxes. Things are getting bad in the southern tip of Illinois.

I guess my answer is Industry. We have to try for more industry. Good paying jobs will get the people to come. But we have to be a business friendly state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois