Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2010, 09:03 PM

2 posts, read 5,362 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am moving to the Aurora area in a month and I am looking to rent anywhere from 10-50 acres of farm/pasture land. We will be living in the Aurora area because my wife will be working at Fermilab, but I am willing to commute 30-60 minutes for the right land.
I will be planting a few acres of crops but I am most interested in pasture raising pigs and chickens. We are talking very small scale, and I use renewable methods. We will also have a few bee hives.
I am having a terrible time finding land and I am hoping that I can get some help. I can go a bit larger if the price is right. I intend on renting for a long time, and I would be a fantastic tenant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 03:13 PM

90 posts, read 285,520 times
The soil in Northern Illinois is among the best on earth, and is 99% under tillage. Rental is commensurate with the revenue generating capability of corn and soybeans. Hogs are generally raised in feedlots in Northern Illinois, not pastured. I doubt you could make enough money pasturing hogs and chickens to justify taking any amount of acreage out of production.

Of course if this is just a hobby and not a money-making proposition, that is different as long as you are not looking to turn a profit.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:57 AM

2 posts, read 5,362 times
Default Pastured hog farming

Actually, pastured hog farming has one of the highest rates of return of any farming endeavor, pastured chickens are also quite lucrative. Feedlot pork and warehouse raised chickens barely make a profit because they are aiming at a market that pays almost nothing for their terrible meat.
I can earn a higher profit with a small scale operation, aimed at people who are willing to pay for higher quality meat, than can be made using these large scale methods. Hell, I know someone raising Mangalitzas that sells the meat for $50.00 per pound. The fat on these pigs sells for nearly as much.
Small scale farmers can make a much better living than someone practicing monoculture corn/soybean farming.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:38 AM

90 posts, read 285,520 times
You still have to consider that the rent on ag land is based on what can be made growing corn and soybeans. That is why you are having a hard time finding anything that is *not* growing corn or soybeans already. People don't just leave 50 acres fallow around there. It is generally in production. The odds of finding 50 acres of pasture are close to zero. You would have to rehab tilled land into pasture, and there would most likely not be outbuildings. On top of all of this, there are very, very few small parcels under individual ownership anymore, especially in Kane and Eastern DeKalb, which are next in line for residential development.

Have you ever been to the area?

Old 02-17-2013, 08:43 AM

1 posts, read 1,684 times
We have 50 acres in Kane which has been under tillage rented for corn/soy we want to transition to organic.
What kind of rent are you able to pay?

Old 02-19-2013, 01:58 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,273,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james susarrey View Post
We have 50 acres in Kane which has been under tillage rented for corn/soy we want to transition to organic.
What kind of rent are you able to pay?
James, you replied to a post that is over two year old. I suispect the poster found land as he has not repiled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois