Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2011, 04:10 PM

2 posts, read 5,031 times

Advertisements

My husband has taken a job in Morris and he currently is renting a room in Plainfield while my son and I still reside in Massachusetts until our lease ends in June. We have a 2 year old and we are looking for a good area close to Morris but that is family friendly, with work for me, and good schools? Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 01:14 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
There is no way to gently tell you that Morris is a farm town in Grundy County. It is approximately 25 miles west of Joliet and 45-60 miles to Chicago. However Grundy is a very good county in which to live. Morris is the largest city with 25,000+ residents and it is the county seat. The good news about most county seats in Illinois is that it will have the most city services and best services. The sheriff's says the schools are pretty good. You will find a hospital, library, parks, etc.. It seems to be a friendly town.

You will find a lot of green space because this part of Illinois - near the Illlinois River - has forested areas, rolling hills and beautiful scenery.*Morris is also not too far from Starved Rock State Park where you can hike. Grizzly Jack's is near the park. It has a year round indoor waterpark for guests.

Morris is not Boston, but then neither is Chicago. You are close enough that you can pop into the Loop for shopping just about any time. You'll find Trader Joe's and Whole Foods in the Loop. You will also find most of the national retail stores and restaurants you know and love in Chicago.

Illinois is the #1 and #2 soybean and corn producer in America. It is in the heart of the Grain & Livestock Belt and so is Grundy County. Your COL will be less than in Boston or Chicago. Do change your license plates and driver's license before 30 days. I did not and it cost me an extra $75.00. Do get your car insurance.

Illinois has a couple of new laws.
1. Do not smoke within 15 feet of any public building.
2. Do not text or talk on a cell phone in any construction zone. Or in any school zene between 7-4 Monday-Friday when school is in session. This does not apply after school, on weekends or holidays.
3. Scott's Law: Do not pass in a lane next to any stopped emergency vehicle - whether or not the emergency lights are flashing. move into another lane.
4. Illinos is NOT a Conceal Carry state.
5. If you are transporting personal weapons, there are specific rules as to how they must be transported intransit within the borders of Illinois. If your husband is LEO, then the rules will be different for him.

As to the question of employment, the economy is slow throughout the state. Recently in Joliet over 1000 people applied for 50 jobs.

Good Luck and WELCOME to Illinois!

Old 01-30-2011, 06:58 AM

2 posts, read 5,031 times
Thank you that was very helpful! I thought the Illinois DMV website said you had 90 days?

Old 01-30-2011, 07:35 AM

1,558 posts, read 4,784,470 times
There will also be plenty of high taxes waiting for you in Illinois.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:16 AM

91 posts, read 291,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalbo View Post
There will also be plenty of high taxes waiting for you in Illinois.
Oppose from the state that she is leaving Ma.? Not even! Massachusetts is way higher in taxes them Illinois!

Old 01-30-2011, 03:30 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
There has been a lot of changes in Illinois law in the last couple of years .. so it may be 90 days. Please make sure that is in regard to LICENSE PLATES and not something different. And make sure the current year is posted.

Yes, Illinois taxes can be obnoxious - but Chicagoans pay higher taxes than anywhere else in the state. The Personal Income tax rate was recently raised from a flat 3% to a flat 5.X%.

What you need to know about Illinois is that it does take care of its children, handicapped, and seniors, too, quite well - and that is saying alot of a state with 102 counties and 13M people. Here's another tidbit worth remembering. You live between two cities that have children's hospitals that have certified tertiary units. One is in Chicago and the other is in Peoria. OSF Hospital in Peoria is the only hosptial in Illinois that is affiliated with Shriner's Hospials, Easter Seals and St.Jude's Research Hospital.

The entrance fee to most state parks is free or very low - depending upon what it offers and whether you want to walk around or camp. You cannot camp, hike, hunt, fish or boat in every state park. Do check before you go. The Illinois River is a deep channel shipping lane that carries barges pushing serveral thousand tons of weight 278 miles. When the barges are active, the wake is very wide and, boating on the river is a bit like trying to naviate the ocean in a 10' fishing boat. it's dangerous.

Hop on IL 26 at Princeton and head south to IL 29 and follow the river for a 100 miles. You find the scenery is spendiferous - but no so much in the winter. You'll find river fronts, river parks, large parks, a couple of zoos, enough shopping to make your head spin, pretty good food and a lot of stuff thats free for families. The advantage is you won't be in a area that has tourist trap prices.

But you can find a huge fountain your kids can run into and play in.that is free, and drive through a 10,000acre park district that is free, too. The park even shows free G-rated family movies on Saturday nights - and this is just one town. There is another town that has a lagoon with paddle boats and minature golf and 17 oter parks and this is before you reach Springifled with its zoo and park system. St. Louis with Grant's Farm (Budweoser horses) and St. Louis Zoo is another 100 miles. It is ungodly hot in St. Louis in July and August. Take your kids in early May or mid- lete Septmenber. it is still plenty warm. Come wonter one of the largest night time parades and Xmas displays in the Nation is about 100 miles from where you live. And yes it is absolutley worth the trip to see a town filled with life size displays and Santa's Village. The parade is awesome but it is waay to cold for babies as the average temp is in the 20s or colder.

I urge you to discover scenic Illinois before you run off to the expensive Wisconsin tourist areas.

ot questions? Just sk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkins904 View Post
Thank you that was very helpful! I thought the Illinois DMV website said you had 90 days?

Old 01-31-2011, 08:25 AM

131 posts, read 453,802 times
Hi , I live in Minooka, right next to Morris. I would have to agree with a lot of what linicx had to say about this area. It is completely different living out in "ag land" If you like being out doors, hiking, camping, walking (the I&M canal runs through Morris) and a slower pace of life you will love it out here. Morris has antique shops,an old book store and a couple sewing centers, candy store. It has an old time feel. Also the corn fest, the county fair, civil war re-enactments annually. If you are ready to unplug from big box stores and a hectic lifestyle you might like it here. There is a walmart and a Menard's, movie theater, and a farm store, huge well known truck stop with decent food etc..
If you like the fast pace of the city and shopping at the latest stores you might want to stay in Plainfield next to all the shopping out that way..along with all the congestion. Morris is also located right off of interstate 80. It is about an hour to Starved Rock (as mentioned beautiful state park)and also about 1hr(give or take a few) from Chicago. You can catch the train and take it into the city of Chicago from Joliet or you can hook up with I55 and drive in.
I would suggest you come out and look around..you didnt say if you were looking to rent or buy. I hope this helps in your search. Oh the school in Minooka, Channahon and shorewood are all pretty good..they share the same high school if that gives you a size indication of these towns.(which are in between Morris and Joliet)

Old 02-03-2011, 12:12 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
My husband has taken a job in Morris and he currently is renting a room in Plainfield while my son and I still reside in Massachusetts until our lease ends in June. We have a 2 year old and we are looking for a good area close to Morris but that is family friendly, with work for me, and good schools? Suggestions?
Based on the limited criteria provided, nothing wrong with Morris itself. While it's close to the Chicago suburbs, it's actually the biggest town for miles around and has a lot more of an independent, established community feel.

I say get in on Morris while real estate is still relatively reasonable; suburbia continues to march out that way and will get there eventually.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:28 PM

9 posts, read 40,608 times
I see this thread is from months ago..but I have to answer!

Just live in Morris!!!!

If you move to Morris I recommend living near ICS school. The east side of town. Be careful of the piranhas in the river - people like to put them in there.... I recommend a wading pool.

I love Morris! I moved to Morris when I was 14. Moved away 2 years ago (at 27) to East Chicago, Indiana. I moved away for love and because it was easier for me to find a job out here. I've hated living in EC ever since. It's pretty ghetto.

Morris is quiet, but it's not too far from everything. Just a hour or so to Chicago. It has a hospital, a very good hospital! People don't really care for the Mexican population. That's a downer for me since my son is 1/2 Mexican.

Everybody knows everybody. If you can handle everybody being in your business... I like the familiarity.

There are lots of city activities during the warmer months, carnivals, race track, cruise night, corn fest..... in the winter, it's pretty much dead (there is the house walk in winter where you can tour all the nice homes) I think it's just the richer people showing off.

you're either rich or your poor in Morris. And you CAN tell the difference - with attitudes and style of dress. But you get that anywhere I think: the snobby people or the hicks.

As a younger 20 and teenager it's easy to feel like you're being sucked into a black hole - there are just bars and Walmart. The place to be when I was in High School was a truck stop called R-Place. Try their deep fried mac&cheese wedges. Not healthy at all, but pretty good! LOL

Gotta dig the way people make fun of the 21 and older store. Can't miss that one.

I like that it's a little ways away from the hustle and bustle... makes the place more "americana" that way. It's not super diverse (but it's getting that way - in the next 15 years or so, I can see it starting to turn in to Joliet) There were 2 black kids in my high school. I'm not sure how many latinos are in the school system now, since I've been out of the Morris school system for over 10 years.

While I love Morris, there are no jobs that pay enough to make a good living - so I consider it a MIRACLE that your husband got a job in the town of Morris! WOW!

Heck, Health Mart just got sold out to Jewel! Health Mart is like THE family pharmacy in Morris. It was my 1st job - worked there for almost 10 years.... *sad face* Don't worry, there is a walgreens and walmart pharmacy..

I know lots of people trying to get out because there is just no way to flourish unless you have connections. Maybe that's the midwest. It's pretty dead here in Indiana, too. We're actually looking to move to San Antonio, Texas.... I'm not sure we will move back to Morris anytime soon. There is talk of them doubling the property taxes.

My parents live there. My best friend lives there. They'll probably die there. I'm not sure where I'll end up...

sad sad the changes the economy brings.... still, I hope I can move back.... eventually. No place like home.

So I hope you pick Morris I don't think you'll be sorry....

Old 06-29-2011, 02:26 PM

108 posts, read 158,971 times
Quote:
I live not too far out of Morris, just a bit south, outside of Gardner.
Morris is the city area around. Easy access to shopping, movies, restaurants.

Gardner is nice. The schools are small with small classes, but there is no day care in Gardner.

Coal City isn't too far, has plenty of businesses in it. Not sure about their school, but would most likely be good.

I will have to warn you that even though Morris is the bigger town, everything out here runs on farming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois