Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2011, 12:02 PM

2 posts, read 2,565 times

Advertisements

I just received the form for Illinois unemployment EB, along with the work search form. I am stunned. 5 job applications a week? I haven't been able to find 5 paralegal job openings a month, unless I would be will to work for $10 AN HOURS, WITH NO BENEFITS, downtown Chicago. Given I live in Orland Park, and that Metra has raised it's rates, I pretty much would be working for pennies.

I was making $23/hr, driving to Joliet.

I feel rather (!) discouraged, and not a little panic, at applying for 10 jobs every 2 weeks. Not much out there for a 62 yr. old.

Seriously.. 5 a week, at this point? Haven't I applied for all of them already?

What are others doing in this situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 12:31 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,185,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnieIL View Post
1. Search craigslist.
2. Network with lawyers
3. Consider volunteering in legal aid.

Old 09-09-2011, 02:40 PM

1,131 posts, read 2,025,968 times
Quote:
I feel rather (!) discouraged, and not a little panic, at applying for 10 jobs every 2 weeks.

Applying for 5 jobs a week?

I'm sorry, but unemployment isn't supposed to hold you over until you get the job you want, just hold you over until you can get A job, period. If you're only looking for $23/hour paralegal jobs you probably will struggle to find 5 opportunities a week. Maybe you need to consider jobs in other fields. Maybe even the service sector. What kind of jobs would you be considering if your unemployment benefits were expiring?

Old 09-10-2011, 04:09 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
You are in a tough age bracket. I don't know if 62 is early retirement for your birthdate or not. I retired early. I was able to earn $12,000 yearly with no penalty. SS deducts $2.00 for every dollar earned over the limit until retirement age. When I reached 65 the max dollar limit ended.

Paralegals are not lawyers, however I believe paralegals are allowed to do x number of things on their own that does not include legal "advice". Notary is one service you can provide. You might be able to advertise and work from home.

If your grammar skills are sharp you could conceivably adverise an Editing Service. A good editor is worth gold and it is one thing aspiring writers desperately need. Companies need great brochure writers. Textbroker.com is legit and it is one way to earn some extra coin while you are looking. You should be Level 4 which is the highest pay.

Chances are you have skills and life experiences you don't realiza you have.

Good luck!

Old 09-12-2011, 03:45 PM

2 posts, read 2,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpaddy View Post
Applying for 5 jobs a week?

I'm sorry, but unemployment isn't supposed to hold you over until you get the job you want, just hold you over until you can get A job, period. If you're only looking for $23/hour paralegal jobs you probably will struggle to find 5 opportunities a week. Maybe you need to consider jobs in other fields. Maybe even the service sector. What kind of jobs would you be considering if your unemployment benefits were expiring?
I was close to getting a job I had 30 years ago, taxpayer service representative, but veteran's go first, and I understand that. So I am trying other ideas. But, let's face it, flipping burgers?

Old 09-12-2011, 05:02 PM

1,131 posts, read 2,025,968 times
Quote:
But, let's face it, flipping burgers?

Face this: Our children are inheriting another ~$300 of debt owed to the Chinese for every week you decide to stay on unemployment rather than take a job you think is beneath you.

Jab aside, I'm not heartless. I empathize with your situation. I can only imagine the turmoil you've been through after losing a job like that and then being unemployed long enough to get to EB. My wife is out of work and having a hard time, for the first time in her life, finding a new job. But she's applying for 5 jobs a week or more....and she's not doing it to meet unemployment requirements because she's not on unemployment. We haven't got to looking for burger flipping jobs yet, but honestly we're getting close. Would you act differently if you were financing your own unemployment?

I believe you are ethically obligated to pursue a job as if you didn't have any unemployment benefits. If you truly can't find any work then take the benefit without any regret. But please think about what your u.e. is costing future generations when you decide what jobs, commute, pay, benefits, etc you are or aren't willing to do.

For a constructive suggestion, maybe you take one of the $10/hour Chicago jobs, apply your experience, and hope to get noticed as someone having the talent for a higher position. And if they don't notice you then continue to job-shop while you're employed. You're more likely to get a high-paying position with benefits if you're currently employed in the field than if you've been out of the workforce for several months. As for the Metra cost expense, that's horse crap. ~$115 gets you a mothly pass. That's about $5/work-day. Cost you at least that much to drive a 30-mile round trip anywhere in Chicago. You'd still have $75/day (before taxes) which is considerably more than "pennies."

Last edited by madpaddy; 09-12-2011 at 05:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois