Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2007, 05:34 PM

4 posts, read 15,645 times

Advertisements

Considering relocating from the south to TRW and would appreciate any feedback on the area and the company. Where should we live, things to do, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2007, 08:17 AM

919 posts, read 3,184,906 times
I too would love info on Marshall IL, anyone???

Old 09-09-2007, 10:05 PM

36 posts, read 182,322 times
I'm not super-familiar with Marshall, but I've been there a decent number of times over the last 15 years or so. My stepdad spends a LOT of time in the Marshall area deer hunting. He's from Paris, which is about 15 miles north of Marshall. One thing I always noticed when going to Marshall, was that the landscape gets rather woodsy kind of quickly. It's closer to the Wabash River, so maybe this is part of the reason. Marshall always seemed like a great place for anyone into the outdoors. It's close to both Lincoln Trail State Park and Mill Creek County Park.

Hmmm, what else? Well, it's a the county seat of Clark County, and the population is like 3,000-4000, so not very big. It's extremely white, so if diversity is important to you, then you might want to live in nearby Terre Haute, IN instead (and even they are at 85% white). It's also right off the interstate (I-70, which connects St. Louis and Indy), which is nice. It'll get you to the Indianapolis airport in like an hour. That's another positive for Marshall--the accessibility to other regional places: Terre Haute, Bloomington, IN, Indy, Champaign-Urbana, Evansville, St. Louis, Louisville, etc.

They have a nice historic downtown district, with a town square and courthouse, and some antique shops. They have concerts/live music on their courthouse square in the summer. I know TRW employs about 1000 people, so it is big business there. They're home to the Archer House hotel, which is the oldest continually operated hotel in Illinois. I know they have a Wal-mart and a couple restaurants, but I don't think there is much in the way of shopping. Most people do most of their major shopping in Terre Haute, as they have a mall, and all the big stores and restaurants. I don't know much about real estate there, but I think you could get a pretty good house for under 100K.

I always thought it was a cute little town, and my stepdad's friends from there always spoke very highly of their quality of life. If you like smaller towns and outdoorsy stuff, you might like it a lot too. Good luck with your move!

Old 09-19-2007, 09:32 PM

9 posts, read 45,988 times
TRW is a great company to work for. Really great people there.

I live in Paris, which is a world away from Marshall. Weird how that is, but each is it's own small town. I personally think Marshall is nicer even if it is smaller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois